RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Are you unhappy with the Lexus NAV?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-07, 07:49 AM
tjain
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you unhappy with the Lexus NAV?

Go to this site and let Lexus know what you think

http://www.lexusoverride.com/index.php

Thanks !! to Silvervett from RX400H forum, the link is relevant to all lexus models having 6.1 version or later

Perhaps ....this topic is well suited for people who have 6.1 version of the navigation which came on 2007 & up models. People with RX330 do not understand the frustration drivers have with this system.

This not bashing the Lexus brand here, it is the functionality of the system that does not work on Lexus only, but the similar Nav product works on brands like Acura.

Last edited by tjain; 10-16-07 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-16-07, 07:59 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

I was unhappy, until i installed the Lockpick3. Now I am ok with Lexus nav.
Old 10-16-07, 02:35 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

that site is a little drastic...its just a small part of the car. its not going to kill you to pull over for a sec.

by signing up with that site, you are lowering the revie points of lexus vehicles all around, and are telling prospective buyers to not buy lexus cars. that isnt being very nice if you ask me. why ruin a great brand over such a small thing

and who thought of the mass buy back? lol...that is so ridiculous is nots even plausable.
Old 10-16-07, 03:24 PM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
that site is a little drastic...its just a small part of the car. its not going to kill you to pull over for a sec.

by signing up with that site, you are lowering the revie points of lexus vehicles all around, and are telling prospective buyers to not buy lexus cars. that isnt being very nice if you ask me. why ruin a great brand over such a small thing

and who thought of the mass buy back? lol...that is so ridiculous is nots even plausable.
From your signature it shows that you have 04 RX330,so you have the override feature.

I am happy with my 07 RX350 so far except the disabled Navigation.

I would not have invested my hard earned $2000+ on a system that does not work while driving when needed, why is Lexus or the dealers who sell them do not disclose this to consumers. The consumers are led to believe the Navigation system works. Do you want to stop your vehicle in an unknown location or on the side of the road in the middle of the night to input a destination. Lexus is in the business of manufacturing automobiles not law enforcement. If you see one of the features that is not disabled while driving
is Emergency Icon and one of the option under Emergency is "Dealer".

Do you guys conside "Dealer" option is an emergency in the middle of night.

Not all car manufacturers disable the Navigation inputs while driving, case in point take the Acura models as an example.

So consumers are being forced to install Lockpick 3 or create hybrid Nav disk to have the feature.

A $300 portable GPS device has more functionality (Nav/bluetooth/mp3 capability etc.) than $2000 nav that is crippled during driving.

If Lexus thinks it is a safety issue,they should concentrate on Safety features for Rear crash protection for which it got a "Poor" rating for RX350 see link below
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=50

I agree with you partly on the mass buy back

Last edited by sama; 10-16-07 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-16-07, 03:30 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm completely satisfied with the Lexus NAV in my 2006 RX400h. I can't imagine anyone inputting data while driving, but of course I can't imagine anyone dialing their cell phones or reading text messages while driving. The latest safety data I've seen puts using cell phones while driving in similar risk level as drunk driving.

I know some claim they want it unlocked so their passenger can use it. Would they agree to keep the lockout in place unless the passenger seat was occupied by an adult? I doubt that Lexus lawyers would buy that, but it might be worth a try.

I wonder how Lockpik covers their liability if someone installs it in their car then runs over a kid while inputting an address.

Steve
Old 10-16-07, 03:44 PM
RXSF

Do you guys conside "Dealer" option is an emergency in the middle of night.
that emergency is for car emergencies. i can imagine myself using that feature...perhaps my engine suddenly explodes and i can see from that function that there is a lexus dealer a few blocks away. chances are i would walk there and get somebody. or perhaps if get a towtruck who doesnt know where the closest lexus dealership is...i could simply look that up.

when i get into my car, i rarely ever touch the nav. as i have stated in other topics of this caliber, how often do you guys use the nav? i only use it for climate control and trip info. you should know where your going in your city. i dont see it as that a big of a problem, and i rarely ever use the nav hack feature. there is no need to use the nav on a day to day basis.

also, its not that hard to wait till a stoplight to input a destination. or perhaps just pull over on the side of the road...not that hard. or stop at a rest stop on the highway. really, its nothing to get all excited about.

why is Lexus or the dealers who sell them do not disclose this to consumers. The consumers are led to believe the Navigation system works.
how do they lead to you believe this? do they actually say "these navs dont have lockout"...cause that would be the "led" to believe part. if they dont say anything, technically, nobody is led to believe anything.

also...as oldcajun pointed out, this is designed to save your *** if you ever run anybody over. people usually agree that there are too many distractions in the car. and many cities and states have passed laws against using cell phones while driving.

i would prefer a nav that doesnt lock out, but im not going to ask for a ridiculous buyback just because a 2K part of the car doesnt work the way i want it to.

in a 50K car, that is a mere 4 percent of the car...
Old 10-16-07, 04:04 PM
key51697
Driver School Candidate

I have an 04 330 can someone point me in the direction of finding out how to override it? I didn't know this was possible!
Old 10-16-07, 04:12 PM
RXSF

I have an 04 330 can someone point me in the direction of finding out how to override it? I didn't know this was possible!
first go to info screen
then on the right top corner, there should be like nav disc info
then on the screen with the nav disc info
click on the top left corner (even though there is no button)
click on the bottom left corner
click on the top left corner
click on he bottom left corner
click on the bottom right corner

you should be at the "secret" menu and then hold the override button till it lights up. you have to do this everytime you start the engine
Old 10-16-07, 04:53 PM
key51697
Driver School Candidate

THANKS!!! Where is the override button.
Old 10-16-07, 05:03 PM
sama
Pole Position

also, its not that hard to wait till a stoplight to input a destination. or perhaps just pull over on the side of the road...not that hard. or stop at a rest stop on the highway. really, its nothing to get all excited about.
There are situations on a freeway you do not have stop lights and also it is illegal in some states to stop on the side of the road unless it is a real emergency.If you see the website that was one driver got a ticket from police because he stopped on the side of the road to input a destination.
http://www.lexusoverride.com/index.php

The "dealership" option will not be useful in the middle of the night because it will be closed. The towtruck will just leave your vehicle in front of the dealership.

If you run somebody over it is the driver who is responsible.

$2000 may not be bigdeal for some people.

Last edited by sama; 10-16-07 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-16-07, 06:21 PM
RXSF

well...perhaps that person who got the ticket should have put his destination in before he was on his way
Old 10-16-07, 06:37 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I am happy with the NAV in my 04 and am not at all wouldn't think about trying to unlocking it. When I travel I plan ahead and input my checkpoints before I leave. If I want to change checkpoints it is pretty easy to do. I really don't want to see drivers trying to program in an address while driving. It's not always that easy to do when parked and you can't find the address you want. It is hard to dispute that programming an address in your NAV requires much more of your attention than talking on a cellphone which is known to be dangerous. Doing so while driving will eventually end in a disaster. I'd probably be ok with a passenger doing that but if you don't know where you're going you should probably consider stopping and figuring it out anyway.

My only complaint, albeit petty, is that I have to hit the acknowledgment every time I start the car.

There are already too many distractions while driving. Almost every other car I see seems to have a distracted driver with a cellphone jammed in their ear weaving all over the road and not able to keep a constant speed. I sure don't want to be hit by someone whose excuse is I was programming my NAV and didn't see you.
Old 10-16-07, 08:29 PM
tjain
Driver

well...perhaps that person who got the ticket should have put his destination in before he was on his way
It does not work that way ,if your job that involves lot of travelling to places that you do not know or for example if you live in places like So Cal where you need to take detours to get around quickly this Nav is not useful.

Perhaps ....this topic is well suited for people who have 6.1 version of the navigation which came on 2007 & up models. People with RX330 do not understand the frustration with this system.

This not bashing the Lexus brand here, it is the functionality of the system that does not work on Lexus only, but the similar Nav product works on brands like Acura.
Old 10-16-07, 09:11 PM
RXSF

Perhaps ....this topic is well suited for people who have 6.1 version of the navigation which came on 2007 & up models. People with RX330 do not understand the frustration with this system.
perhaps...but that doesnt mean were going to keep our cars for the next X years. i mean, i plan to get a lexus next year, and that will obviously have this new nav blockout. but me knowing this doesnt prevent me from wanting to purchase another lexus.

that site is bashing lexus. its telling you do rate them low in reviews, and consumer reports. its telling you to buy an audi instead. theres even a link to audi cars on the side...that is stealing sales from lexus.
Old 10-16-07, 09:30 PM
tjain
Driver

perhaps...but that doesnt mean were going to keep our cars for the next X years. i mean, i plan to get a lexus next year, and that will obviously have this new nav blockout. but me knowing this doesnt prevent me from wanting to purchase another lexus.

that site is bashing lexus. its telling you do rate them low in reviews, and consumer reports. its telling you to buy an audi instead. theres even a link to audi cars on the side...that is stealing sales from lexus.
Looks like you love your Lexus too much . Consumers are not dumb, they will make the right choice if they are well informed.

We will see your response when you go for your next lexus

Please look at a report from ConsumerReports they do not recommend the brand toyota anywore but only Honda or Subaru (Ironically in which toyota has a stake)

Quick Reply: Are you unhappy with the Lexus NAV?