RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Are you unhappy with the Lexus NAV?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-07, 09:42 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tjain
Looks like you love your Lexus too much . Consumers are not dumb, they will make the right choice if they are well informed.

We will see your response when you go for your next lexus

Please look at a report from ConsumerReports they do not recommend the brand toyota anywore but only Honda or Subaru (Ironically in which toyota has a stake)
I was just looking in the last CR annual auto issue and they recommend nearly everything Toyota makes. The recommended list includes the Avalon, Camry Solara, 4Runner, Camry, Corolla, Highlander,Prius, Sequoia, Tacoma, Matrix, RAV4, and the Sienna and from Lexus they recommend the ES, GS, IS, SC, GX and RX. What are you smoking? Try making up a story that someone can't easily verify next time.

Last edited by jfelbab; 10-16-07 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-16-07, 09:58 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

jfelbab...new for today

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...liability.html
Old 10-16-07, 10:23 PM
tjain
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I was just looking in the last CR annual auto issue and they recommend nearly everything Toyota makes. The recommended list includes the Avalon, Camry Solara, 4Runner, Camry, Corolla, Highlander,Prius, Sequoia, Tacoma, Matrix, RAV4, and the Sienna and from Lexus they recommend the ES, GS, IS, SC, GX and RX. What are you smoking? Try making up a story that someone can't easily verify next time.
I was referring to this articlehttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21324818, Toyota is not on the automatic recommended list anymore. Only Honda & Subaru.

Consumer Reports said on Tuesday that it was reversing a practice of recommending all new Toyota cars and trucks after two models earned below-average rankings in a closely watched reliability study. Although Toyota ranked third in reliability behind only Honda Motor Co and Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd’s Subaru, Consumer Reports also found two Toyota models had “below average” predicted reliability. “Consumer Reports will no longer recommend any new or redesigned Toyota-built models without reliability data on a specific design,” the publication said in a statement. ”Previously, new and redesigned models were recommended because of the automaker’s excellent track record.”

Lets get back to the discussion about nav

Last edited by tjain; 10-16-07 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-17-07, 11:09 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while i dont have the 6.1 nav i agree its stupid that they got rid of the bypass. whats even more dumb is that lexus owners even have to use a bypass or extra device to do it.
Old 10-17-07, 11:34 AM
bngu1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i also own an Acura TSX with navigation and i like that i am able to input while i drive. i know Lexus did that for safety reasons, but they should have allow the feature to be turn on or off at the owner's desire; just like the personalized setting that they offer.
Old 10-18-07, 07:17 AM
BrownRB
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=RXSF;2989615
when i get into my car, i rarely ever touch the nav. as i have stated in other topics of this caliber, how often do you guys use the nav? i only use it for climate control and trip info. you should know where your going in your city. i dont see it as that a big of a problem, and i rarely ever use the nav hack feature. there is no need to use the nav on a day to day basis.
[/QUOTE]

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I live in a large city (Toronto) and have to drive to multiple addresses every week that I have never been to before. Please don't tell me if I need to use the nav or not.
Old 10-18-07, 09:20 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

I think luxury car companies make big time money off selling NAV, and Lexus is no exception. For a lot of people I've talked to or read from this forum, people just like to "have" the NAV for either 1) since they are buying a luxury car, they feel the "need" to have NAV, or 2) it just looks cooler on the dashboard vs not having the NAV. But for some people, the NAV is just a necessity since they drive to alot of unknown places or they are just new to the area.

Personally for the wife and I, we skipped the NAV for both of our new cars and saved over $5K. We have a portable Garmin and even that's barely used.
Old 10-18-07, 09:33 AM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
I think luxury car companies make big time money off selling NAV, and Lexus is no exception. For a lot of people I've talked to or read from this forum, people just like to "have" the NAV for either 1) since they are buying a luxury car, they feel the "need" to have NAV, or 2) it just looks cooler on the dashboard vs not having the NAV. Very rarely it's someone who says, "I get lost all the time, so the NAV is a must!" (Unless of course, you are new to the area and just moved there).

Personally for the wife and I, we skipped the NAV for both of our new cars and saved over $5K. We have a portable Garmin and even that's barely used.
I stopped using the Lexus Nav and use a Garmin Nav with Bluetooth & Mp3
Best part is I can take the Garmin on to any vehicle

Last edited by sama; 10-18-07 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-18-07, 10:56 AM
RXSF

...i bought that nav cause its cool. lol. resale of the car will be better plus IMHO, i feel that the dashboard without the nav is hideous. sorry for those who dont have nav. its just that multi info screen is ugly and very RX300ish, and i dont like how the lock butons to change the time are like smack in the middle. plus the emergency lights are also smack dab in the middle.
Old 10-18-07, 01:17 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
...i bought that nav cause its cool. lol. resale of the car will be better plus IMHO, i feel that the dashboard without the nav is hideous. sorry for those who dont have nav. its just that multi info screen is ugly and very RX300ish, and i dont like how the lock butons to change the time are like smack in the middle. plus the emergency lights are also smack dab in the middle.
Regarding resale, you better plan on selling your car soon because the current NAV (or an '04 NAV thats even older) will be obsolete. There's going to be some crazy gadgets in luxury cars in the next several years (some of which are already out), like built-in hard drives, Wi-Fi, Internet capability, high resolution screens and graphics that make your current NAV look like an ATARI video game. More reasons to be distracted while driving eh?

I'm waiting for a NAV that will talk and have a conversation with me on those long drives alone. :P

Last edited by sportsfan8; 10-18-07 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-19-07, 10:59 AM
sf7307
Pole Position

Please help a newbie - we're looking at an '07 or '08 GS350. Debating whether to get NAV or to just get a Garmin Nuvi. What features are "locked out" while driving on the Lexus NAV?
Old 10-19-07, 11:02 AM
RXSF

Regarding resale, you better plan on selling your car soon because the current NAV (or an '04 NAV thats even older) will be obsolete. There's going to be some crazy gadgets in luxury cars in the next several years (some of which are already out), like built-in hard drives, Wi-Fi, Internet capability, high resolution screens and graphics that make your current NAV look like an ATARI video game. More reasons to be distracted while driving eh?
it will be gone by august of 08. lol. i plan to get the new RX or the LS
Old 10-19-07, 01:05 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
it will be gone by august of 08. lol. i plan to get the new RX or the LS
Confident in the new look of the '09 RX? It could be hideous looking, just saying...
Old 10-19-07, 01:12 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sf7307
Please help a newbie - we're looking at an '07 or '08 GS350. Debating whether to get NAV or to just get a Garmin Nuvi. What features are "locked out" while driving on the Lexus NAV?
It's all a matter of your personal preference. Some people argue that if they spend $50k + on a car they don't want a portable NAV dangling somewhere, or have the hassle of putting it away all the time to prevent theft. Some people argue that their dash looks ugly and not "cool looking" without the NAV screen. What is "locked out" is your ability to change the destination address while driving.

If you drive a lot and into unfamiliar areas and know you will be using it a lot, the factory NAV is convenient. For me, I don't drive much and I know my areas pretty well, so a Garmin is fine. I rarely use it anyway.

Last edited by sportsfan8; 10-19-07 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-19-07, 02:30 PM
DCRX330
Driver School Candidate

I recently updated my NAV in my 2005 RX330 from 4.1 to 6.1 not realizing that the override screen would disappear. Is it possible to go back to 4.1 by changing back the DVD or is the change irreversible? Is there any potential harm in trying?

Thanks

Steve

Quick Reply: Are you unhappy with the Lexus NAV?