RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Poor rating for RX again

Old 07-03-07, 08:24 AM
tjain
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor rating for RX again

Overall Crashworthiness Evaluations, current models LUXURY SUVs

RX got poor rating in the new test again for: Rear crash protection

Last edited by tjain; 07-03-07 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-03-07, 08:50 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 199 Likes on 154 Posts

Not surprising. Seeing as the chassis wasn't redesigned, they probably didn't test it again. It will be interesting to see if the 2009 does better, but I wouldn't have expected any improvement for the '07 or '08 based on previous poor ratings for the same generation.
Old 07-03-07, 09:18 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wait a minute, do the folks @ www.activelysafe.com know about this?
Old 07-03-07, 10:08 AM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
Wait a minute, do the folks @ www.activelysafe.com know about this?
No wonder the site shows the simulated picture for lexus frontal crash only on the splash page with "Crash damage simulated" and higlight "The safest Accidents"
Old 07-03-07, 11:25 AM
asianrage
Driver

Come on, these comparisons are becoming more and more ridiculous. Every year, the benchmark gets higher and higher. If the RX was at the top 4 years ago then it's not gonna be now since standards get improved. The RX is 4 years old and it won't be able to compete completely with models that just came out. The new RX will incorporate new safety standards and it'll get better rating.
Old 07-03-07, 11:35 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

You have a valid point. Safety improvements occur when their is a platform revamp. So, as long as we all know where the comparisons are... we are ok.
Old 07-03-07, 01:42 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Has anyone truly bought a vehicle based on particular crash ratings? I know if we were on a Volvo forum the roars would be deafening, but seriously...

"Hmmm, doesn't have any of the features I want and it's uglier than a bucketful of suck, but it ranked first in overall crashworthiness testing so I'll buy it."

...I just can't imagine myself doing that. Obviously I want any vehicle to be safe, but I genuinely think that's a given these days, at least in anything above the subcompact market.
Old 07-03-07, 01:44 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by asianrage
Come on, these comparisons are becoming more and more ridiculous. Every year, the benchmark gets higher and higher. If the RX was at the top 4 years ago then it's not gonna be now since standards get improved. The RX is 4 years old and it won't be able to compete completely with models that just came out. The new RX will incorporate new safety standards and it'll get better rating.
With all due respects, do you want the safest car or you want to cherry pick which benchmark to believe in order to believe RX is the safest?

4 years ago RX has a different chasis, the RX300 did quite well http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_res...nts.aspx?lexus getting a "Good", improved from an "Acceptable" in 1999. Kudos for Lexus to make improvements in the past.

Actually IIHS is fairly good at updating. In addition to the RX300 update, IIHS reflected a recent running change that Acura made on 2007 MDX. From May 2007, all MDXs get a better headrest to minimize whip lash neck injuries, IIHS updated the MDX rear crash protection rating from "Marginal" to "Good"
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_res...nts.aspx?acura
Let's hope Lexus makes similar improvement for 2008 RX350. I am sure all RX350 owners are eager to see what Lexus will do to improve safety rating.
Old 07-03-07, 01:55 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asianrage
you are absolutely correct. these reviews never take this stuff into account. recently there was a review on convertible safety and the audi A4 cabrio got low reviews for safety even though it was incredibly safe when it came out like 6 years ago, meeting and/or exceeding the expectations. the current model is on its way out, but of course the reviewers never acknowledge this or somehow weight it in their comparo.
Old 07-03-07, 02:25 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Rear crash safety is an acknowledged weakness among many, many vehicle models of different makes and types. For instance in the past LS, the rating for rear crash safety was lower than for everywhere else. This is possibly a reason why Lexus introduced a rear pre-crash safety system for the LS 460. In reading different makes' results on IIHS, I found rear crash safety to be where many models score lowest.

With the new RX, it's likely the Lexus Pre-Collision System will be introduced, albeit for frontal impact. But it's also possible the rear safety will be improved.
Old 07-03-07, 03:52 PM
asianrage
Driver

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
With all due respects, do you want the safest car or you want to cherry pick which benchmark to believe in order to believe RX is the safest?

4 years ago RX has a different chasis, the RX300 did quite well http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_res...nts.aspx?lexus getting a "Good", improved from an "Acceptable" in 1999. Kudos for Lexus to make improvements in the past.

Actually IIHS is fairly good at updating. In addition to the RX300 update, IIHS reflected a recent running change that Acura made on 2007 MDX. From May 2007, all MDXs get a better headrest to minimize whip lash neck injuries, IIHS updated the MDX rear crash protection rating from "Marginal" to "Good"
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_res...nts.aspx?acura
Let's hope Lexus makes similar improvement for 2008 RX350. I am sure all RX350 owners are eager to see what Lexus will do to improve safety rating.
I agree with your disagreement?

No one is cherry picking safety standard. The 2008 RX350 didn't have any significant redesign in term of safety thus is the same as the 2004 model, while the MDX is all new for 2007. That's where the disparity lies. The 2007 MDX is new hotness (in safety, etc) compared to the RX's old busted hotness.
Old 07-03-07, 10:59 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not surprised
Old 07-04-07, 09:42 AM
mandyfig

Wait a year...let's see what reviews the new RX gets.
Old 07-04-07, 10:35 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Wait a year...let's see what reviews the new RX gets.
Exactly, some components from the RX350 are modular enough that Lexus can make improvements on. Better impact absorbing rear bumper and head rests can be made without modification of the rest of the chassis.
Old 07-05-07, 07:36 AM
mandyfig

I think Toyota-Lexus will take it a much higher bar, when it rolls out its 09 RX.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Poor rating for RX again