RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anyone Consider 2007 Acura MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-07, 07:10 AM
njetty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise Levels

Can anyone comment on CABIN NOISE between the RX and MDX? This is an important factor for me especially at highway speeds. I like an especially quite ride.

Thanks
Old 01-01-07, 08:01 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by njetty
Can anyone comment on CABIN NOISE between the RX and MDX? This is an important factor for me especially at highway speeds. I like an especially quite ride.

Thanks
I don't know about the MDX but I do know that for '07, the RX350 had some upgrades to reduce wind noise. Lexus upgraded the windshield which is thicker for '07 which helps out with wind noise and makes it easier to have converstations inside. I am guessing that the RX350 is probably at or near the top of it's class in this area.

Kan-O-Z
Old 01-02-07, 04:00 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

I would guess that the RX is a little bit better, but my MDX is at least as good as my RX 330 (RX 350 has upgraded soundproofing).
Old 01-05-07, 03:04 PM
QFCK2001
Driver School Candidate

I also own a 07 MDX and I think the wind noice is very small. I also like the realtime traffic and the dvd audio. IMO, ipod is not needed for 07 MDX cuz it plays mp3 on a dvd disc. 6*4.7GB is almost 30GB mp3s. Who needs Ipod!!
Old 01-06-07, 10:12 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by QFCK2001
I also own a 07 MDX and I think the wind noice is very small. I also like the realtime traffic and the dvd audio. IMO, ipod is not needed for 07 MDX cuz it plays mp3 on a dvd disc. 6*4.7GB is almost 30GB mp3s. Who needs Ipod!!
The RX350 does the same thing with the Mark Levinson option: MP3 DVD. Even the regular system does MP3 CD. Who need Ipod? Someone who regularly loads songs on there and creates new playlists. You don't want to be burning a 4.7GB DVD for a few new songs do you? Also, it's a pain in the butt to try to organize thousands of songs into 6 seperate dvds. Connect one Ipod and you are set. Unlimited playlists, songs, updated anytime you want. A very robust system even compared to DVD MP3.

Kan-O-Z
Old 01-08-07, 12:14 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

UPDATE:

Liking the MDX a great deal so far ... my opinions

Pros (over my RX):

-- more aggressive styling
-- sportier feel (some might read ... bumpier)
-- Sport shift if desired
-- Navigation system is better than the RX line
-- Sound system is better (LOVE IT!)
-- AUX input (for iPod) built in
-- More room (some could see as a negative) ... I like that it's wider and slightly longer and the little bit more cargo room is appreciated most of all. It doesn't feel much bigger to drive though ...
-- Middle console is larger and more user friendly (sorry, trying to think of everything).
-- Overall I like the interior layout significantly better
-- Responsive transmission
-- No rattles (I had the dash rattle early in my RX)
-- Love the Hands Free Link (FAVORITE FEATURE) ... seems to work better than in the RX I tested

Cons (compared to the RX):

-- Not as soft of a ride (obviously you give this up for some sportiness in general)
-- MISSING MY RAIN-SENSITIVE WIPERS A LOT! (at least when it rained last week)
-- Doesn't quite feel as sound mechanical-wise (could be in my head due to Lexus branding marketing)
-- Has no dimming side mirrors (there is a coating on the side mirror, but isn't as nice)
-- The rear backup camera is more clear in the RX line

---------------------------------------------

That's really all I can think of for now. I am enjoying the MDX a great deal! You can't go wrong with either though. The ride on the MDX is not far behind the RX at all, but I would say the RX is a softer ride all around. I will probably never use the third row, but if I ever need to it's there. Most of all I like the aggressive exterior, interior layout, and tech features a great deal over the RX. I feel better having a newer design for the next few years as well, rather than feeling dated with a new RX design coming out in a year and a half.

Still willing to answer any questions anyone might have ..
Old 01-12-07, 06:38 PM
Fikse
Rookie

hows is the XM satellite integrated on the MDX? does it show up on the NAV screen or is it limited to that smaller radio display? same with MP3 playback, does it display the folders and other info on the NAV screen? can the MDX play the DVD movies on the front screen while in park like the RX?
Old 01-12-07, 08:07 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

It shows up on both the Navigation screen and the radio.

I do not have the rear DVD player, but I believe it does play on the front when in park as well. I am not 100% sure, but I think I recall hearing that ...
Old 01-12-07, 08:10 PM
Fikse
Rookie

thanks.... do you know if their ipod interface shows up on the nav screen as well?

Originally Posted by Husker4the
It shows up on both the Navigation screen and the radio.

I do not have the rear DVD player, but I believe it does play on the front when in park as well. I am not 100% sure, but I think I recall hearing that ...
Old 01-12-07, 08:18 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

I just use the AUX input in the middle console, BUT Acura does make what they call Music Link. It is supposed to connect your iPod to the rest of your stereo and integrate it so you can navigate your iPod through the Nav screen, etc. I believe it's about $400 or so as an accessory. Basically they wire it into your glove box and you connect the iPod there and it charges it as well.

HOWEVER, reports are that is does not work as intended and Acura is currently working on the software ... I just decided to wait and see how other people say it work and for them to figure it all out. I know it wasn't being sold as of a few weeks ago.