RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Gray or Black Interior?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 10:59 PM
mattnrsa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gray or Black Interior?

I'm entering the final stage of figuring out what I want in an RX, but am having trouble with the interior color choice. I prefer gray, but the gray in the RX, in some lights, almost appears as an off-white. I know black is very popular, but I'm having a tough time getting used to it. Exterior color will be flint mica.

As I decide, I'm looking for some advice on the practicality of either color. Everyone says black shows marks, but it seems such a light shade of gray would show marks too. I have a lab who will occasionally be in the car with me, but will almost always be in the back on the backs of the folded-down seats. On the rare times he jumps into the front seat (when I leave him in the car for a few minutes), what effect will his paws have on the leather, and will either color minimize evidence that he has been in the car? (I know there are barriers I can buy to keep him in the back, but I'm just wondering for argument's sake.)

Any advice from those who have either color? Thanks!
Old 09-21-06, 11:42 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same dilemna as you. I've been used to black interiors on my previous cars, but the RX I wanted was only available with a gray interior. I have 3 boxers as well.

My compromise was a liner for the entire rear cargo area which also covered the back of the rear seats when lowered.

The upside is that the cabin does not get hot, even without tint and parked outside for the most of the day.
Old 09-22-06, 04:34 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also had to decide between the gray and black. Went with black, and I've been happy with it. The black plastic near the floor or on the door panels shows marks from your shoes quite easily, but no issues with the carpet or the leather seats. I live in the Chicago area and I haven't noticed that the black leather interior gets any hotter in the summer than other colors. Maybe it would be more dramatic in a warmer climate; it turned out to be a non-issue for me.
Old 09-22-06, 05:25 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

I have the RX330 Thundercloud which has the dashboard and top sections of the doors in black plus the wood trim is all black birdseye maple and the seats, side panels and carpet all in grey. Have no problem with the black areas showing dust/dirt. Do them with 303 Aerospace Protectant. As for the grey areas also have no problem with them. Had the vehicle about 14 months now. Daughter had a small dog that rode in the RX many times and noticed no problems with that either, except for dog hairs. Just keep the nails trimmed.

I myselt would lean toward the grey as with would be a nice contrast to the flint mica. Just not really wild about black on black, but does look really nice when all is clean and shinny. Look around the dealership and see if they have any in flint mica with black interiors and with grey interiors. Might help you make the final choice. Because it does really come down to what appeals to you, not someone else (unless it is significant other!).

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Gray/Black interior, NAV, ML, HID with AFS, Rain sensing wipers, headlight washer, Tow Package with OEM Hitch. 18" Thundercloud rims with Michelin MXV4's.
Old 09-22-06, 12:26 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

How long are you going to keep the car. If your ownership is going to be for more than 100,000 miles, get the gray since black will fade after a while. Also the black dashboard, if not treated well, will prematurely fade and you'll have 2 tones of black! I would actually get the cashmere since it wont fade and contrasts well with the black dash plus the scratches made by your lab wont show up on cashmere.
Old 09-22-06, 02:12 PM
AmmarithGS430
Rookie

Post Gray or Black Interior?

Flint mica/light gray interior, I think the combo looks very sporty and classy.
Attached Thumbnails Gray or Black Interior?-rx350_interior.jpg  

Last edited by AmmarithGS430; 09-24-06 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-22-06, 02:27 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My Nuptune Blue Mica has the light gray interior. I wanted black but the dealer didn't have it in stock and I didn't want to wait. I don't mind the light gray interior at all, but I would still prefer the all black. I have put stock black floor mats and also the black carpeted trunk mat as well in my car to get more black. The light gray shows dirt very easily and you have to constantly clean every month or so. All my other cars that had black interiors they always looked clean even 10+ years later.
Old 09-22-06, 02:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

It really depends on personal tastes.

In my case, it depends on the exterior. I live my black with tan for instance, but a gray would also look nice, but black w/black...could not see that.

Tan and gray eventually show marks not matter how much they are cleaned, but black has these wrinkle lines that can be polished of sorts.
Old 09-22-06, 06:15 PM
sharpener
Driver

definitely black unless unavailable
Old 09-22-06, 06:53 PM
JorgeGVB
Driver

I didn't have a choice when I bought mine, so I have gray. I actually like it (and I have had black interiors before). The gray carpet is a bit light though and would easily stain. I bought black floorliners, so it looks pretty nice with the charcoal grey dashboard and top part of the inside door panel. Everyone that has seen it really likes the offsetting colors.
Old 09-22-06, 07:42 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I like the Black interior... Grey kinda shows dirt easy..
Old 09-22-06, 09:41 PM
richlexus
Driver School Candidate

we just got our flint mica with gray interior. the dealer actually had the black and the gray on its way and we decided to wait because we liked the gray much better. it really makes the interior feel more classy and open. all my other cars have black interior and the gray is a nice change.
Old 09-22-06, 09:58 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats what I feel as well with the lighter int. Makes it feel more open and bigger! Black makes it feel cramped
Old 10-06-06, 10:54 PM
Bongos
Rookie

I just got the flint mica in gray interior, I had a choice since both where available, I chose gray because here in CA, Black interior tends to absorb too much heat, though if I had dogs, black might be the way to go
Old 10-10-06, 11:21 AM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Like the black myself...

Originally Posted by Bongos
I just got the flint mica in gray interior, I had a choice since both where available, I chose gray because here in CA, Black interior tends to absorb too much heat, though if I had dogs, black might be the way to go
Have the blk/flint combo and its great. the dog paw prints just wipe right up, no problemo. i keep a blanket in the back to put down for the pups. keep a pet roller around to pick up the stray hairs though! (i have an american eskimo - the dog, not the person! )

i have the light gray in my is350, and it seems to show marks a lot more, although its also a lot softer leather than the rx. the only thing about the black is the long term fading issues - not an issue if you lease like me, and its pretty contrasty with the wood...my dad calls it the halloween interior -black and orange. the gray with the tan is pretty sexy, but i like the sportiness of the black. its a good problem to have!

Quick Reply: Gray or Black Interior?