RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Another tire question........

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 09:12 AM
DavoMS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another tire question........

Guys..........

Time to replace my Goodyear 18" RS-As on my 04 RX.........28K ..............

Anyway..........have researched the forum...........The OEM Michelins seem to be favored over the GYs...............and I have had good luck with the Energys on my GS...........(BTW if you go to the GY site............they don`t even list the RS-As as a recommended tire, it`s the Fortera )

However, reading about the Bridgestone H/L Alenzas...............hmmm........pretty good here and especially from Tire Rack...........would be cheaper.......625.92 w/$50 coupon before taxes..........

I always been an OEM type, but if I switch brands...............then the spare does not match......and when I bought the GS the dealer replaced the spare to match the new Michelins...........probably petty...............but important to me..........

As always............your thoughts are appreciated.................
Old 07-20-06, 08:27 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Wink Alenzas rated the best; Sumitomos a bargain

I personally don't care about the spare b/c the odds of using it are slim.

You seem to be a little disappointed with the mileage done on the Goodyears. No surprise here with a treadwear rating of only 260. I had the Eagle RS-As as the OEM until I switched to Michelin after only 35000 KM (22000 miles)!. They still had about 4/32nds tread left, but they were getting slippery in winter. Also, I wanted a softer, less harsh tire that made a Lexus ride like a Lexus, as well as a tire that lasted longer. My spare remained Goodyear.

So I got the "other OEM": the Michelin MXV4 S8. It has a higher treadwear of 440 and I changed them after driving 45000 km (28K miles) with 5/32nds left. They were very comfortable and quiet, but were mediocre in rain and were poor in light snow. As well, they got dangerously slippery especially on snow so I had to get a new set despite probably going at least another 15000km.

I changed those and went for a larger tire Sumitomo HTR Sport H/P 255/55/18 with 5mm spacers on each wheel. I wanted the beefier look; something that I never got with the 235 Michelin or Goodyear tires. I chose those because price was a major factor: 98$ per tire at TireRack (almost HALF the cost of the Michelins or Goodyears). The bonus is they have the highest treadwear among the three at 480 ! It was a win-win situation, at least on paper. Once I got them installed, they performed on the dry like the Goodyears (somewhat firm and responsive but with better dry and wet traction overall). I would have hoped them to be a little softer, closer to the Michelins, but I can live with that. I have yet to test winter traction but I can say I'm confident they will be among the best out there for all-seasons because they have one of the highest tread depths: 14/32nds ! So overall, I'm pleased with the Sumitomos.

If I was willing to spend more, but not too much, I would have definitely bought the Alenzas and they also make them in the 255/55/18 size. Based on the ratings and people's comments, this is the best tire overall (comfort, noise, treadwear 640, traction, etc) so if you can overcome the "spare-tire-not-matching" issue, go for the Alenzas. Heck, you can even buy 5 Alenzas for about the same price as 4 of the Michelins/Goodyears if you want. It's a win-win situation.

If you want to be a little adventurous and save 200$, get the fatter Sumitomos + 10$ for each spacer. You'll need the spacer to clear the inner wheel well plastic housing if the wheel is completely turned to prevent slight rubbing. No complications with the spacer...it just sits between the wheel and the disc brake and the standard lug nuts/bolts need not be changed.

Good luck!

Pics of my RX with 255/55/18 Sumitomos and 235/55/18 Michelins:
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cor....beg=0&.src=ph
Old 07-21-06, 06:09 AM
DavoMS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corrado............

Thanks............ I saw your pics yesterday researching the forum.........Those Sumitomos look great........

An aside, My bride and I got married in Alberta and have traveled to B.C. and Ontario. We sort of like Canada.............

You are right .........28, much less 22K, is rather disgusting..........

You are also right re the spare............I`m just neurotic, I guess............

Thanks for another option...................
Old 07-21-06, 08:21 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also thinking about getting the Bridgestone H/L Alenzas from Tirerack. but those Sumitomo HTR Sport H/P 255/55/18 look nice also...but in your pictures I dont see them are they on the inside of the tire?
Old 07-21-06, 08:35 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by dhamaka127
I am also thinking about getting the Bridgestone H/L Alenzas from Tirerack. but those Sumitomo HTR Sport H/P 255/55/18 look nice also...but in your pictures I dont see them are they on the inside of the tire?
Thanks dhamaka127.
Look at the file name of the pics. You clearly see how much fatter the Sumitomos are. The ones labeled 255 are the Sumitomos (255 section width) and the pics with the 235 file name are the Michelins (235 section width). In the the last picture showing the front tire/wheel closeup, you can see the "Sumitomo" label as well as the rest of the sidewall design.
Old 07-21-06, 09:05 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Smile

Congratulations on your wedding and I'm glad you liked Canada. Like I said, you can save a few $$ going with the Sumitomos, or you can simply choose another tire brand, beyond the limited selection the 235/55/18 size gives us for our RX. Going to the 255 size gives us a lot more tire choices and in some cases (Sumitomo, Kumho, Continental, etc.) are less expensive than most of the 235s out there even with the spacers.

I wanted initially a 245/55/18 tire (that would not need spacers) but that is even more limited. Only one in that size and it's the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS. That tire has good characteristics, but my concern with it was much lower tread depth (of only 9/32nds !!) and potentially poorer snow traction.

Good luck and congratulations again.