RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Tire noise...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-05, 08:42 AM
jayliu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Tire noise...

Hi folks,
I just become a proud owner of a RX330. Got a question for you guys. The OE tire that came with the car is the GoodYear Eagle RS-A 18" tire. I found the ride is a bit bumpy, and noisy.

Search around the net, I found people complain about the same thing... especially the tread life is not great compare with Michelin.

Good Year Eagle review
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...l=Eagle+RS%2DA

Mithelin Energy review
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...rgy+MXV4%AE+S8

I am looking for the quiet tire and smoothest possible ride.

What do you guys think... will the dealer still be able to swap out the tires for me , the odo only has 110 miles, 20 when I picked it up.

Thanks
Old 05-30-05, 01:39 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jayliu
Hi folks,
I just become a proud owner of a RX330. Got a question for you guys. The OE tire that came with the car is the GoodYear Eagle RS-A 18" tire. I found the ride is a bit bumpy, and noisy.

Search around the net, I found people complain about the same thing... especially the tread life is not great compare with Michelin.

Good Year Eagle review
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...l=Eagle+RS%2DA

Mithelin Energy review
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...rgy+MXV4%AE+S8

I am looking for the quiet tire and smoothest possible ride.

What do you guys think... will the dealer still be able to swap out the tires for me , the odo only has 110 miles, 20 when I picked it up.

Thanks
Two added tires to consider.

Pirelli Scorpion Zero

or

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza

See http://www.tirerack.com to compare all 4.

Last edited by jfelbab; 05-30-05 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-30-05, 03:25 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since it's new, you might be able to talk the dealer to swap out the 18" wheels for the 17". Larger wheel usually means rougher ride, though the handling is better.

Or get the RX300's 16" wheels and feel the magic carpet ride.
Old 05-31-05, 05:31 AM
jayliu
Driver School Candidate

Default thank

Thanks for the info. I've already email my sales guy, he said there is not much he can do. He refer me to his Service Dept.
I doubt they would swap out my tire for the Michelin ... for free.
Old 05-31-05, 05:51 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Thanks for the info. I've already email my sales guy, he said there is not much he can do. He refer me to his Service Dept.
I would be shocked if they replaced the tires for you at no charge. It won't happen. Automakers don't usually put great OE tires on a vehicle.......they are more concerned about fuel economy over safety, traction in bad weather & since they buy them in bulk, their bottom $$$ line.

In addition to jfe's suggestions (those are the only 2 tires currently available other than your OE GY's.....if your more patient, more will bo doubt become available in the near future I'm sure) you might want to consider the all new Toyo Open Country H/T as more sizes in 18" will be offered soon.

http://www.toyocanada.com/products/OpenCountryHTEN.html
Old 05-31-05, 09:41 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

My sister had her Toyota Prius' Goodyear Integrity tires swapped out for Michelin - at no charge. I told her my experience with Goodyear Integrity.

Sales guys are useless after the sale because they are no longer interested in you, nor they are decision-makers. You should ask the manager or even the owner. Don't be shy or discouraged by nay-sayers. Always try to negotiate. Your dealer wants you to come back for routine service so that's a good start for negotiation. Also the 18" package is more expensive than the 17", so that's another point to bring up during negotiation. The dealer can always sell those 18" in the parts dept. for higher profit..... so I just gave you 3 things you could bring up to your dealer.

Or sell'em on eBay and then buy your own 17", or find another Lexus owner who wants to swap the 18" with you. When there's a will, there's a way. That's the American Way.
Old 05-31-05, 02:43 PM
jayliu
Driver School Candidate

Smile Thanks

Thanks for the Great advise HarrierAWD, that's also a great attitute toward life. :-)
Old 06-01-05, 04:33 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
My sister had her Toyota Prius' Goodyear Integrity tires swapped out for Michelin - at no charge. I told her my experience with Goodyear Integrity.

Sales guys are useless after the sale because they are no longer interested in you, nor they are decision-makers. You should ask the manager or even the owner. Don't be shy or discouraged by nay-sayers. Always try to negotiate. Your dealer wants you to come back for routine service so that's a good start for negotiation. Also the 18" package is more expensive than the 17", so that's another point to bring up during negotiation. The dealer can always sell those 18" in the parts dept. for higher profit..... so I just gave you 3 things you could bring up to your dealer.

Or sell'em on eBay and then buy your own 17", or find another Lexus owner who wants to swap the 18" with you. When there's a will, there's a way. That's the American Way.
I doubt your dealer will want to turn turn around and try & sell a used set of tires out of their parts department.....but give it a shot you have nothing to lose I guess. I agree not to give up, but once the vehicle leaves the lot & there is no actual defect as such with the tires (noisy is not a defect....it's the way the tire is as there have been many complaints about this tire on the subject). I just wouldn't put alot of stock in it that your dealer will replace the tires for you on Lexus' dime.

E-bay would be your best possibility imo but it should be intresting as to what you say to a potential buyer as to why your selling them. Just a thought.
Old 06-01-05, 08:37 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
My sister had her Toyota Prius' Goodyear Integrity tires swapped out for Michelin - at no charge. I told her my experience with Goodyear Integrity. [/B]
Forgot to mention that this was two weeks after she took delivery. I went back to NYC to check out her new ride (actually for mother's day) and notice the tires. She didn't pay attention to the tires. The Toyota dealer cheerfully replaced her tires at no charge.
Old 06-03-05, 06:52 PM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did just the opposite. I had horrible handling and bought a set of 18" RX-330 pull-off wheels/Michelin tires that had 15 miles on 'em from my dealer's parts department. Had a horrible time selling my four 17" wheels/Michelin tires - and I only wanted $299 for the set. Had about 4k miles on them. The 18" wheels made a vast improvement in stability and cornering, especially at high speed interstate driving. BTW, my dealer wouldn't give me any trade-in value on the 17" as they have lots of those that no one wants.
Oliver
Old 06-03-05, 08:54 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

LOL, you and Jayliu should hook up.