RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 - After 5000 miles...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-04, 08:48 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default RX330 - After 5000 miles...

I recently purchased my first Lexus, a 2004 RX330 AWD V6. My overall opinion is very positive.

Kudos:
- I just returned from a 4000 mile road trip and averaged 24-26 mpg driving at 70-75 mph. This was with a fully loaded up vehicle.
- The navigation system is the best I have ever used. Never got me lost once.
- The ML audio was superb. I only wish it would play MP3 CDs or had an input for my iPod.
- The automatic wipers were very handy when driving on the freeways in heavy rain. They would automatically speed up when passing semi's etc. I always had a clear view without manually adjusting the speed.
- The dual zone climate control system was very good. From sub-zero temps outside to the upper 80's outside, I never felt any discomfort inside.

Complaints:
- With the roof open I get a helicopter thumping sound at speeds between 40 and 55 unless I crack the rear windows.
- Annoying wind noise with the windows closed at highway speeds. Not as quiet as my Solara.
- I don't like the sunroof switch arrangement. It is sometimes difficult to determine if the roof is completely closed. I also don't like having to hold the button until the glass slides all the way open or closed. I'd prefer a single touch button like my Solara has.
- At one point the power rear door stopped working. After manually opening and closing the door it started working again normally. Problem has not reoccurred since.
- Rear wiper did not clean window well. Could be just a bad wiper blade.

Overall this is a nice touring car. Very comfortable on long trips with excellent road feel and control at all times. Very good gas mileage for a SUV.
Old 03-06-04, 09:45 AM
johnnieliu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: RX330 - After 5000 miles...

Originally posted by jfelbab
I
Complaints:
- I don't like the sunroof switch arrangement. It is sometimes difficult to determine if the roof is completely closed. I also don't like having to hold the button until the glass slides all the way open or closed. I'd prefer a single touch button like my Solara has.
I recently found out that the sunroof is a "ONE touch" open and close similar to that of the side windows. Maybe its a C-best setting you can change.

JL
Old 03-06-04, 01:41 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: RX330 - After 5000 miles...

Originally posted by johnnieliu
I recently found out that the sunroof is a "ONE touch" open and close similar to that of the side windows. Maybe its a C-best setting you can change.

JL
We own an RX300 so my idea might not be helpful but...

if we "one touch" the sunroof open, there's never any booming from the roof. However, the roof will open further than that, if we hold the roof open button down again. I suspect that the RX330 has a similar operation. You might ask your dealer about the cbest settings on your RX.

BTW - Congrat's. If our RX300 weren't so darn reliable, we'd be really tempted to accept another car payment trade it in on an RX330.
Old 03-06-04, 05:33 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tip about cracking the rear windows to kill the helicopter noise from the moonroof!

Your complaint about the lack of one-touch operation on the moonroof is common on this board. The fact that it's not working correctly is an oversight in the dealer's pre-delivery inspection process. Whenever the computer loses power (either in transit to the dealer, or if you later disconnect the battery), the one-touch feature of the moonroof is disabled.

To re-initialize the moonroof: [ from the RX330 pre-delivery process, TSIB # PG002-03 ]

1. Turn ignition to "on".
2. Operate the moonroof (by holding down the correct button) to:
a. fully closed (if it's not already)
b. full tilt up
c. full tilt down
d. full slide open
e. full slide closed
3. The buttons should now support one-touch operation. Also, the jam protection function should now be enabled as well.

Since you also mentioned the power back door, there's an initialization sequence for that, too. Sounds like you figured it out yourself:

1. Unlock the back door, with either the lock button or the key remote control.
2. Make sure that the car is off - ignition in the "off" position.
3. Make sure the power door enable switch (inside the frame of the glovebox) is on.
4. Manually open the door fully, and then close it fully.
5. Open the back door with the key remote or with the "power door" button on the dash.
6. Close the back door with the key remote or with the button on the door itself.
7. The door should now be initialized, and the jam protection feature should be enabled.

The other things that require initialization are the adaptive headlights (the ones that turn horizontally based on the direction of the front wheels), the tire pressure warning system, the power windows, the compass (on units without navigation), and Lexus Link. I believe all of these are in the manual except for the power windows. So, while I'm on the subject, here's how to initialize the power windows if you ever disconnect the battery:

1. Turn the ignition to "on".
2. The light in the button for the driver's window will be blinking. If it's not blinking, it doesn't need initializing.
3. Open the driver's window all the way.
4. Pull up on the switch to close the window, and continue holding the switch up for about one second until after the window closes. The light will stop blinking, and then you can release the switch.
5. The power windows should all work normally, and the jam protection feature should be enabled.
Old 03-10-04, 07:06 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Brought the RX in for the 5k service and asked the service tech to address the few complaints I had.

Complaints:
- With the roof open I get a helicopter thumping sound at speeds between 40 and 55 unless I crack the rear windows.
- Annoying wind noise with the windows closed at highway speeds. Not as quiet as my Solara.
- At one point the power rear door stopped working. After manually opening and closing the door it started working again normally. Problem has not reoccurred since.

His responses:
-The helocopter thumping is a design issue that there is no fix for at this time other than cracking the rear windows.
-The wind noise is normal for this vehicle. He said it was caused by the side view mirrors.
-The sunroof switch just need re-initialization.
-They have gotten a few complaints of the rear door not working and this is corrected by a reinitialization.
-He replaced the rear wiper blade.

They also changed the oil and filter, rotated the tires and washed and cleaned the car inside and out. No charge.

Last edited by jfelbab; 03-10-04 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-10-04, 07:43 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I get the helicopter noise in my GS as well, and I used to get it in my Camry.

I heard a segment on the 'Car Talk' radio program where they discussed that with a caller and explained the design of modern cars with more-airtight interiors causes the rumbling noise. I can get it with just one window in the front rolled down as well at certain speeds.... happens whenever there is input of air to the cabin with no exit path. My solution is also to crack the rear window.
Old 03-10-04, 08:04 PM
Footloose
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same complaint about the rear wiper blade --- and so do other RX owners. See my thread started on 1/16/04. Changing the blade is not going to help. I think Lexus engineering missed the boat on the rear wiper. It needs a stronger spring or something.

I agree with all your positive comments --- it's a great vehicle.
Old 12-15-05, 03:24 PM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Rear wiper cleaning was poor on my 2000 RX300, regardless of blade and is just as poor on my 2006 RX400H.
I no longer use any Toyota wiper blades front or rear, I prefer Bosch, But even their blades do no better in the rear!!
I agree, Poor design!!
Old 12-24-05, 03:13 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If your numbers are accurate, you did fantastically...

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I recently purchased my first Lexus, a 2004 RX330 AWD V6. My overall opinion is very positive.

Kudos:
- I just returned from a 4000 mile road trip and averaged 24-26 mpg driving at 70-75 mph. This was with a fully loaded up vehicle.
- The navigation system is the best I have ever used. Never got me lost once.
- The ML audio was superb. I only wish it would play MP3 CDs or had an input for my iPod.
- The automatic wipers were very handy when driving on the freeways in heavy rain. They would automatically speed up when passing semi's etc. I always had a clear view without manually adjusting the speed.
- The dual zone climate control system was very good. From sub-zero temps outside to the upper 80's outside, I never felt any discomfort inside.

Complaints:

Overall this is a nice touring car. Very comfortable on long trips with excellent road feel and control at all times. Very good gas mileage for a SUV.
...well on mileage.