RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Power steering high pressure line

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-24, 08:41 AM
MLKESQ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Power steering high pressure line

I inherited a 2004 RX330 AWD with just short of 165K on it when my brother passed last year. It had no PSF when I loaded it on a trailer to haul home. I replaced section of the the lower line that runs along the frame rail to the pump as it was heavily corroded and seeping and flushed the system. That seemed to stop the leak for a while. Now its leaking off and on and stop leak products like Lucas and Blue Devil make it leak more than straight Dexron III. I'm pretty sure the rack is shot as the bellows are seeping and eaten through with PSF on the right side hitting the ground. For those who have replaced the rack, is it possible to replace the high pressure line at the same time one the rack is out, without having to take everything off the top of the engine too to access the mounting points?
Old 05-14-24, 01:46 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 474 Likes on 411 Posts

Yes you can change the high pressure hose by its self or when replacing the rack......I'd also swap out the return hose as well.
Old 05-14-24, 01:59 PM
MLKESQ
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I planned on replacing the return, pump, and add a filter on that line as well.
Old 05-21-24, 03:03 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MLKESQ
Thanks. I planned on replacing the return, pump, and add a filter on that line as well.
Best place to add the filter is where the return line goes right before the p/s reservoir......
Old 05-21-24, 07:23 PM
MLKESQ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Felix
Best place to add the filter is where the return line goes right before the p/s reservoir......
Yeah, based on the filter size I will need to remove about an inch of the hose and not just cut it in one spot or pick up some bulk power steering hose and replace that section from the hard line to the reservoir.
Old 05-21-24, 07:57 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Yeah, based on the filter size I will need to remove about an inch of the hose and not just cut it in one spot or pick up some bulk power steering hose and replace that section from the hard line to the reservoir.
Mock up your new return hose w/ a 1'' of hose before the filter going into the resorvoir The overall filter is about 4'' long.
Old 05-21-24, 08:41 PM
MLKESQ
Driver School Candidate

Mock up your new return hose w/ a 1'' of hose before the filter going into the resorvoir The overall filter is about 4'' long.
I bought the filter last summer and put off installing it because replacing the corroded lower return line and a fluid flush solved the immediate leak and the car needed other repairs just to be able to drive it.
Old 05-21-24, 09:03 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 921 Likes on 736 Posts

I inherited a 2004 RX330 AWD
Welcome to Club Lexus!​​​
Old 05-21-24, 09:13 PM
MLKESQ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Margate330
Welcome to Club Lexus!​​​
Thanks. I lurked for about a year before finally joining. I was trying to decide whether I'd keep the RX or sell it. But with a '07 Yukon Denali with 289K...vs this with only 164k when I brought it home I figured I'd see if I could get this back in shape since the kids all drive now and I don't really need a truck that size anymore.
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (05-21-24)
Old 05-21-24, 09:20 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 921 Likes on 736 Posts

Thanks. I lurked for about a year before finally joining. I was trying to decide whether I'd keep the RX or sell it. But with a '07 Yukon Denali with 289K...vs this with only 164k when I brought it home I figured I'd see if I could get this back in shape since the kids all drive now and I don't really need a truck that size anymore.
Oh man, why not keep them both!
Old 05-21-24, 09:28 PM
MLKESQ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Margate330
Oh man, why not keep them both!
I still have the Yukon for now. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it. I like the truck but it's needs are increasing with age so it sees limited action now. Air/electronic suspension parts are expensive and so is the rear main seal labor on AWD. I figured the RX will ultimately give me more as a daily driver but the Yukon was a great family hauler in its prime
Old 05-21-24, 09:28 PM
Felix
Pole Position

I believe you'll find the gen2 rx a great around vehicle.......
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (05-21-24)
Old 05-21-24, 09:32 PM
MLKESQ
Driver School Candidate

I believe you'll find the gen2 rx a great around vehicle.......
I like the more compact vehicle for in town stuff for sure. Mileage is slightly better too. My brother wasn't much for maintenance beyond oil changes so I still have a way to go with the rx to get it back up to par. Still need to get the timing belt done along with plugs and probably a few other things. So I baby it along for now.
Old 05-22-24, 08:48 AM
Felix
Pole Position

I like the more compact vehicle for in town stuff for sure. Mileage is slightly better too. My brother wasn't much for maintenance beyond oil changes so I still have a way to go with the rx to get it back up to par. Still need to get the timing belt done along with plugs and probably a few other things. So I baby it along for now.
By the mileage it has I'd figure it has had the t/b, w/p replaced at 90-100k....If not you need to do that right now. Critical to change the t/b & w/p.......Get a qualitiy t/b kit & I'd change the t-stat & flush the old coolant w/ new. Gates t/b kit,, Zerex red Toyota coolant, Denso plugs. And since your there, posssibly a good time to replace the v/c gaskets.
Old 05-22-24, 10:36 AM
MLKESQ
Driver School Candidate

By the mileage it has I'd figure it has had the t/b, w/p replaced at 90-100k....If not you need to do that right now. Critical to change the t/b & w/p.......Get a qualitiy t/b kit & I'd change the t-stat & flush the old coolant w/ new. Gates t/b kit,, Zerex red Toyota coolant, Denso plugs. And since your there, posssibly a good time to replace the v/c gaskets.
All I know is it was certified pre-owned when he bought it, but the Lexus maintenance history I have found plus what was in the glove box does not show it ever having been done. I'll have to have a shop do that work for me as it's probably beyond what I want to attempt in the driveway with jack stands etc

Quick Reply: Power steering high pressure line