RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Immobilizer chip issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-23, 10:07 AM
spyder24
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Immobilizer chip issue?

Greetings,

The master key for my 2007 RX350 unlocks the doors fine; however, no longer can start the vehicle. Is it possible for the immobiizer chip to go bad? If so, can I reprogram this in techstream? If so, the only challenge I see is that I don't have another master key.

Thank you for your help!

Old 12-15-23, 06:18 PM
spyder24
7th Gear

Default Any thoughts?

Bump

Can anyone please help? I'm a bit at a loss right now. Thank you!
Old 12-15-23, 10:16 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 877 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder24
Bump

Can anyone please help? I'm a bit at a loss right now. Thank you!
​​​Hi @spyder24 ,

1) Please sit in the car and put key in ignition.
What is the red blinking security light doing?

2) Turn the key to fully on but don't try to start it.

What us the red blinking security light doing?

Do you see the red blinking security light turn off?
Old 12-16-23, 07:19 PM
spyder24
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Margate330
​​​Hi @spyder24 ,

1) Please sit in the car and put key in ignition.
What is the red blinking security light doing?

2) Turn the key to fully on but don't try to start it.

What us the red blinking security light doing?

Do you see the red blinking security light turn off?
Hi @Margate330 ,

Thank you for getting back to me! I'm going off memory as I don't have the car at the moment. However, here is what I remember. The red security light blinks constantly with the key inserted and in the on position (i.e., nothing changes). When I use another key, the red blinking light stops and the vehicle starts fine. I had some issues with the battery a while back, and it's like the immobilizer chip on the original master key just stopped working. I'm wondering if there is something I can do in Techstream to get it working again?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you have on this.

Regards,

Spyder24
Old 12-17-23, 09:22 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spyder24
Hi @Margate330 ,

Thank you for getting back to me! I'm going off memory as I don't have the car at the moment. However, here is what I remember. The red security light blinks constantly with the key inserted and in the on position (i.e., nothing changes). When I use another key, the red blinking light stops and the vehicle starts fine. I had some issues with the battery a while back, and it's like the immobilizer chip on the original master key just stopped working. I'm wondering if there is something I can do in Techstream to get it working again?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you have on this.

Regards,

Spyder24
It sounds like there is something wrong with the RFID chip in your key since it was working and now doesn't work.

Since you have one key that works, this is good!

As long as you have a working key, you can get a new key made(with the correct rfid chip for our model car), and add it as a new key.

Please see this link for adding another key: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...rm-thread.html

If you do not have a working key to use as a master it will be much more complicated but having a key that works will act like a master to simply add new keys.

Also, the programmed key's rfid signature(with some math magic) are stored in the Transponder ecu as a list of allowed and authorized keys.
The following users liked this post:
spyder24 (12-19-23)
Old 12-19-23, 06:02 PM
spyder24
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Margate330
It sounds like there is something wrong with the RFID chip in your key since it was working and now doesn't work.

Since you have one key that works, this is good!

As long as you have a working key, you can get a new key made(with the correct rfid chip for our model car), and add it as a new key.

Please see this link for adding another key: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...rm-thread.html

If you do not have a working key to use as a master it will be much more complicated but having a key that works will act like a master to simply add new keys.

Also, the programmed key's rfid signature(with some math magic) are stored in the Transponder ecu as a list of allowed and authorized keys.
Thank you for the wonderful information! I will give this a try.
Old 12-20-23, 05:41 AM
JohnCone
1st Gear

Replying for the update.
Spoiler

Last edited by JohnCone; 12-25-23 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-28-23, 03:00 PM
spyder24
7th Gear

Default Didn't work :(

Well, unfortunately, this didn't work. It kept failing in Techstream when I tried to register a new key. I also tried the "pedal dance" method for a master and valet key with no dice.

For the techstream part, I wonder if I am hitting the two master key limit. I can try erasing all of the other keys; however, I have a CompuStar remote starter on the vehicle. By erasing the other master keys, will it break the remote starter?
Old 12-28-23, 07:17 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Please don't hold me to this but I believe all keys are "Master" keys except the valet key.

What I mean by Master is having one working key(not valet) and while using that key we program another key using the procedures in the link above.

Ps- I do believe there is a limit to how many keys can be programmed before needing to delete one to add another one. Plz be careful, don't delete your working key(Master) or it gets much more complicated.

All keys lost is a whole new level.