RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What pads/rotors you use that last long..no warping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-23, 02:13 PM
fabchef
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default What pads/rotors you use that last long..no warping?

Hi gang, last fall, i changed out the pads and rotos on all four corners. I ordered Max brand pads and rotors. They were good in the fall and lately i feel a bit of vibration in steering wheel when applying brakes. I believe they were semi ceramic pads. The previous set didn't last long either (another brand).
I'm wondering if it may also be due to the winter rims i put on my rx350 (the rims are actually Honda (probably crv)). They fit well, but maybe they are affecting the rotors?

also, I haven't changed the brake fluid since i got the car (5 years now), and don't know when it was done last. I've heard some say to change the fluid and others have said, it's a sealed system, so unless there is air in the lines, no need to change fluid?
any input would be great.
thanks
fab
Old 06-07-23, 08:10 PM
MattRX
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 521 Posts

I would get hub centric rings from 64.1mm to 60.1mm that'll probably take a bit of a load off your lugs.

Do you have the stock front calipers and not the larger gen 3 dual pistons? It seems like the small stock calipers always hot spot the rotors and they never get a chance to last properly. This was especially a problem on my 2002 Highlander which actually used literal Camry V6 calipers while being almost as heavy as my RX. They felt like crap no matter what pads/rotors I tried and always wore out faster than I wanted. After putting 2010-2015 RX350 calipers on my Highlander, I can really beat on them (auto X incl) and not get pad transfer. I didn't have any experience with my RX brakes for long because I almost immediately swapped them to the 2010-2015 RX ones, but they already felt noticeably better.

I would bleed brakes, brake fluid is hydroscopic and while the system is supposed to be sealed. No seal is perfect and brake hoses are porous enough to let some moisture in over the years.

As for rotors I've had good luck with Centric Premiums w/ Akebono ProACT or Raybestos EHT pads (can't go wrong with both, I prefer EHTs a bite more aggressive bite and half the price - low dust), but I think next time I'll try Durago rotors as I had good luck with them on a friend's car and they paint both sides of the hub while Centric seems to have stopped doing it on their newest batch of rotors. I have OEM Advics on my RX350 the past year as an experiment and they are doing great too so far. They ended up being cheaper than the Centrics for me because no shipping cost. I drive my cars hard and the fact that they're holding up so well on a heavy car like this is impressive to me.
Old 06-07-23, 08:25 PM
fabchef
Intermediate

Mattrx, i have the stock (one piston) calipers on my rx.
as per the rims, i think i will either find a used set of toyota oem rims or just put rubber winter tires on oem rims.
as per the rotor and pads, i will see what i can find. I think the rears are ok, and maybe just change the front ones.
in terms of pad material, which will last longer and better able to handle heat? Ceramic, metal?? Thanks fab
Old 06-07-23, 08:27 PM
fabchef
Intermediate

Oh ya... for rotors,, what's a good type? Zinc coated? Are slotted or perforated rotor good? We have salted roads here in winter too.
Old 06-07-23, 09:26 PM
MattRX
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 521 Posts

In theory semi-metallic should be better for higher heat, but even with some nice ceramic pads and DOT 4 brake fluid you'd have a hard time overheating anything unless you were at the track. Auto X wasn't even close to enough to get my ceramic pads or fluid hot enough. The Raybestos EHT pads are hybrid pads that are a mix of ceramic and semi-metallic. I don't care for any of the marketing or fancy images on the box, but holy smokes these pads have been nothing but impressive for the money. Mine on the 08 RX (for 2010-2015 RX front and rear calipers) were rated GH for the friction coefficient which is great for a street pad. Akebonos on my Highlander are rated "FF" (for 2008-2013 Highlander front and rear calipers) OEM Akebono pads were "EE" rated and they felt so bad I took them off after 2 weeks and they're being saved for the '14 RX which never sees hard driving.

I like black e-coat rotors vs gray / geomet. Tried Centric Geomet and they were rusting pretty early on a friend's RAV4, whereas the Centric Premiums I run are still solid almost 3 yrs later on my Highlander despite being daily driven through two winters. I just put blanks on the cars. Only car that gets slotted in the fleet is the E46 M3 which is strictly our track car (never sees winter or rain, just track days). While I think the slots look cool, I don't know if it is worth the shorter pad life, slight extra noise and higher prices for rotors. I might try the Stoptech slotted ones for fun on the RX one day though.
The following users liked this post:
fred9xx (06-08-23)
Old 06-09-23, 06:57 PM
cfh13427
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fabchef
Hi gang, last fall, i changed out the pads and rotos on all four corners. I ordered Max brand pads and rotors. They were good in the fall and lately i feel a bit of vibration in steering wheel when applying brakes. I believe they were semi ceramic pads. The previous set didn't last long either (another brand).
I'm wondering if it may also be due to the winter rims i put on my rx350 (the rims are actually Honda (probably crv)). They fit well, but maybe they are affecting the rotors?

also, I haven't changed the brake fluid since i got the car (5 years now), and don't know when it was done last. I've heard some say to change the fluid and others have said, it's a sealed system, so unless there is air in the lines, no need to change fluid?
any input would be great.
thanks
fab
As a former Toyota/Lexus tech, I will tell you the Early (1st & 2nd Gen) Suv's rotors were to Small and Thin to handle the Heat generated by Ceramic brake pads, causing the Rotors to Warp rather Quickly.
If You Don't want Upgrade to a Beefier Rotor, then use Semi Metallic Brake Pads.
The only Downside is the Semi Metallic Pads make a little more brake dust and maybe a little more Noise, but NO Rotor Warping!
I've serviced many of the early Toy/Lexus's with Ceramic pads, and rotor warpage is a common issue.
I'm sure there are other opinions, but this is what I found that worked and my customers were Happy with the change.

Old 06-09-23, 07:21 PM
fabchef
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. I was on the fence on getting the semi metalics but ended up getting the ceramics. Doh! Will see if i can get the other pads. Thanks
Old 06-10-23, 07:11 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 462 Likes on 403 Posts

One look at #1005 gen2 pads & #1324 gen3 pads will show you as well as the single piston caliper vs the gen3 twin piston calipers. My brother & I were surprised that the gen2's need more braking power & then take into account the weight of vehicle.......A pr of reman gen3 calipers & a good pr of rotors & a set of pads will really do wonders....Also a great time to replace the oem brake hoses w/ ss brake hoses or at least use new ones & flush out the old fluid w/ new dot 3 fluid. Btw after using a couple pads/rotors, I ended up w/ the Hawk Talon rotors w/ hawk performance ceramic pads.....http://Tirerack.com