RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Please help me with my suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 09:31 AM
Weebsta84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me with my suspension

Hey all,
So I am getting mixed advise on how and what I should do for my suspension. I have a 99 RX300 that has knocking sounds coming from the back/middle of the vehicle. I have taken it to the Dealer ship where I work, they told me my shocks are leaking and need to be replaced. I feel that I need to change out the sway bar links as well cause I don't think they have ever been replaced along with the shocks. Every time I go over cracks and little bumps in the road it makes the noise, how ever I don't hear it when I go over speed bumps. Anyway I have my dad and a few friends telling me to buy everything individual. I have a mechanic telling me to buy the quick struts. I just don't really know what's better. Can any one here help me.
Thank you!
Old 06-04-19, 09:57 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,102 Likes on 991 Posts

If there is a leak, it leaves a trail. So yes the shock may need replacement but is it the source of the sound .. most likely not. With that much age I am willing to bet it is a bushing that is worn out. Ask the shop to move all joints and tell you which one(s) is/are bad.

Quick strut vs only_the failing_part is not a simple choice. You have to weigh the speed/cost/expected_life/quality of parts etc. Personally I would replace the part that has failed but you will find many who would suggest to go the quick-strut way.

Salim
Old 06-04-19, 10:11 AM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

I as well had to battle rear end noises.
Here’s what i experienced on my RX.

Rear struts — sounded like a basketball being dribbled when going over a rippled pavement
Replaced it with KYB’s and reused my strut top mounts.

Sway bar link - metalic knock noise over sharp bumps.
More on slow speeds like coming off your driveway curb.

Rear toe bar — this was the tricky one to figure out and hardest to replace, Same noise as the sway bar link but more pronounce (depending how worn out the bushings were)
Had it on a lifter and started prying on it. Thats where i found the play.
I ordered one from Amazon (Febest) but only lasted a year.
I replaced that with a factory one w/c cost 4x more.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-19, 04:15 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

If you have McPherson struts in the rear, do Quick Strut. I did several sets, both did stellar. KYB is BUMPY.
Replace sway bar bushings. Or, shim them. I shim mine, then they last long time more. But those will give you knock when going up/down over potholes and such.
If you want to replace sway bar links, get ones that have zirks in them. Then you can lubricate them ever so often, so they last forever.
Old 06-10-19, 06:04 AM
Weebsta84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I haven't responded yet. Work got a hold of me there for a minute. Thank you all for your ideas and help. Nad everything you said is exactly what I hear. I am going this week to have the whole front and rear fully looked at. The rear-end likes to lose traction when hitting bumps and grates in the road at 65 mph or higher, and I can feel the front tires wiggle back and forth when hitting said bumps and grates. Again thank you.

-Bradi-