RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2002 RX300 - Low Miles - Will not shift to high gear - High RPM

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-18, 08:18 AM
lexus2k2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2002 RX300 - Low Miles - Will not shift to high gear - High RPM

Hi folks,

I searched a lot and saw a lof of posts regarding RX300 not shifting into overdrive.

But I feel they do not apply in my case. Please HELP.

I have a RX2002 Low miles (around 120k) .. I was driving in local roads and accidentally my finger hit the Overdrive button on the joystick. I realized it an pressed it again. But it did not seem to turn off. So I pressed it 4 or 5 times in succession. After that my car started to have very high RPM at 40 m.p.h. ...So I drove it carefully to a mechanic close by.

He checked the Transmission oil - levels were good. Oil was clear .. no burning. He also checked the codes - surprisingly there are none. He even bypassed the OD .. but it did not help.

When I put it in reverse - the car jumps.
When I put it in drive - seems fine till about 30-40 m.p.h. .. then it does not shift info higher gear.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks much gurus
Old 06-25-18, 10:03 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,100 Likes on 990 Posts

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your RX.

Do you have the Check Engine Light (CEL) on? When you move your key from Lock to ACC to Run, doe your RX go through self test and turn the CEL light on? [Before moving the key to Start] .. For m,oer details refer to the owners manual.

Pleas re-examine your post. I understand it is a out of desperation note, but does it sound like you are seeking a winning lottery number? We are all willing to help, but we need more info.

Salim
Old 06-25-18, 10:41 AM
lexus2k2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your RX.

Do you have the Check Engine Light (CEL) on? When you move your key from Lock to ACC to Run, doe your RX go through self test and turn the CEL light on? [Before moving the key to Start] .. For m,oer details refer to the owners manual.

Pleas re-examine your post. I understand it is a out of desperation note, but does it sound like you are seeking a winning lottery number? We are all willing to help, but we need more info.

Salim
Hi salimshah .. thanks for the reply.

As mentioned - I took it to the mechanic .. there is no CEL light on .. no CEL codes .. the mechanic tested it with his scanner. The CEL bulb is working .. it turns on when i turn the key and before engine starts.
BTW - I just got a O2 densors and CAT converter replaced - before which my CEL was on.

Let me know what other info you need - I can get it from my mech and post it here.

thanks much
Old 06-25-18, 12:02 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,100 Likes on 990 Posts

Also the higher gear is locked out till the vehicle warms up .. In summer time one can get there in about 5-10minutes but in extremely cold, it can be 15 min or higher. We are talking about actual drive time and not idle warm up.

Maybe it is time to let the dealership diagnose the problem with their advanced reader and live monitoring. You can try another mechanic or larger shops that deal with Toyota.

Tranmission service may help , but stick with drain and fill. Have the mechanic examine the old fluid for metal particles.

What rpm do you get when idling, when in drive with foot on the brake.

Salim
Old 06-25-18, 03:10 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

OK, is OD Off light On in the instrument cluster?
If it is or, if it's even not, you managed to permanently lock transmission in OD OFF position. Either mechanically, via button gear shifter stalk, or electronically.
I am not sure how you mechanic bypassed OD, hope he knows what he was doing. But I think it's simple mechanical jam issue somewhere in the shifter handle that keeps trannie in OD OFF position.
Old 06-25-18, 08:07 PM
lexus2k2
Driver School Candidate

ok .. here is some more information .. I picked up the car from the mech and brought it home ...

I asked the mech again .. and he had a advanced scanner that he used and found no CEL codes .. clean.

in reverse car jumps - and slips .. have to stop every few feet and start again
in forward -
0-20MPH .. seems fine .. no jump. gears shift properly
above 20 the RPM gets high .. about 4000 .. then speed slowly catches up .. at around 40 to 45 i can see the RPM gets fo 5000 and then drop a tad .. seems like a gear shift.

I tried OD .. it is working .. the RPM jump up and comes back down then I turn the OD off (the light comes on and off when I press the button).

check Video .. sorry for the jumpy picture ... you can see that I clicked the OD on and off - that caused the RPM to go up and down.
Link to video