RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

'01 RX300 A/C Compressor - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-18, 11:47 AM
tbarrett
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '01 RX300 A/C Compressor - HELP

Hey guys!

I purchased a 1st gen RX300 (2001) recently and now the A/C has started blowing hot air. I added freon since it was dead empty; no luck. Well... had it checked out yesterday and the compressor needs to be replaced. They also recommended that the cooling fans be replaced, too.

Does anyone have any experience on how much this should run me? I may buy the parts myself and pay shop labor to put them on...

TIA!
Old 04-21-18, 12:27 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Non-OEM A/C compressors go for around 200. Troubleshooting A/C systems are sometimes like going down the rabbit hole, one part fails then you find out the drier or expansion valve is on its way out. Best to be troubleshot by an experienced HVAC tech. Best of luck!
Old 04-22-18, 06:47 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Real question is - who is they and why exactly comp is considered bad?
Next question is - how exactly did you add freon? Can from Walmart? Did it go in? You have to have functional compressor to make that happen, you can't recharge empty system with pressurized can.
Here's my prediction.
You have a leak somewhere. Freon leaked out. Shop is taking you for a ride, going for $$$ and easy job. They will replace comp then will tell you - oh, now we need to replace something else. And else. Common practice. Comps are very simple very reliable devices that can be easily brought back to life or rebuilt. That's in case that comp actually DID seize. If it worked last year and is dead this year, I'd be very careful with that assessment.
Usually, comp clutch dies first, but that is replaceable item.
OP, you need to take vehicle to formal AC shop and let them run diagnostics on AC system. That means, they connect gauges to it, evacuate everything out of it and create vacuum inside. Then, system has to hold vacuum for 2 hrs. It is considered tight and ready to be filled. Normally, they will introduce cleaning agent inside, flush system from coagulated freon/oil mix, and recharge it then. Otherwise, you are tossing money at repairs and repairs. Or, they will determine where leak is with dye and tell you exactly what to replace.
If they jump started comp and it didn't turn, it is seized. Again, it is rather simple fix on work bench. That said, I am not tossing others opinions at you, I had it done and several times. Recharged systems on various cars, replaced clutches on 3, un-seized comps on several. For comp to go ir-repairable, it would have showed signs of failure long ago.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (07-15-20)
Old 07-15-20, 02:20 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Real question is - who is they and why exactly comp is considered bad?
Next question is - how exactly did you add freon? Can from Walmart? Did it go in? You have to have functional compressor to make that happen, you can't recharge empty system with pressurized can.
Here's my prediction.
You have a leak somewhere. Freon leaked out. Shop is taking you for a ride, going for $$$ and easy job. They will replace comp then will tell you - oh, now we need to replace something else. And else. Common practice. Comps are very simple very reliable devices that can be easily brought back to life or rebuilt. That's in case that comp actually DID seize. If it worked last year and is dead this year, I'd be very careful with that assessment.
Usually, comp clutch dies first, but that is replaceable item.
OP, you need to take vehicle to formal AC shop and let them run diagnostics on AC system. That means, they connect gauges to it, evacuate everything out of it and create vacuum inside. Then, system has to hold vacuum for 2 hrs. It is considered tight and ready to be filled. Normally, they will introduce cleaning agent inside, flush system from coagulated freon/oil mix, and recharge it then. Otherwise, you are tossing money at repairs and repairs. Or, they will determine where leak is with dye and tell you exactly what to replace.
If they jump started comp and it didn't turn, it is seized. Again, it is rather simple fix on work bench. That said, I am not tossing others opinions at you, I had it done and several times. Recharged systems on various cars, replaced clutches on 3, un-seized comps on several. For comp to go ir-repairable, it would have showed signs of failure long ago.
What are the signs to look out for of a failing AC Compressor?
Old 07-15-20, 08:39 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by tiguy99
What are the signs to look out for of a failing AC Compressor?
A DIYer can make expensive mistakes when it comes to AC system. If you have followed my posts, you can tell that I recommend/encourage DIY. I would humbly suggest that you consult an auto AC repair facility which has the tools and experience to diagnose the problem.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Fit1too (07-16-20)