RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Ahhhh! An RX Silversport? What the !%@?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-01, 06:54 PM
ZoomSport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

:eek: Oh my god!!!! I just freakin bought my 2001 RX, and now Lexus comes out with something better in the RX line! I hate it when the sales people don't tell you about these things. Doesn't the RX silversport just sound like it's dressed up with RMM stuff though? The new silversport edition sounds basically the same as the regular RX. Well, it's alright.... I'm not mad. I still own a Lexus
Old 03-25-01, 12:29 PM
sleepybobcat

Cool

Don't worry too much... when I bought my '01 RX300
with Nav back in November, the sale manager already knew about the "Silversport Edition" but I wasn't interested in waiting at all.

Here are the reasons:

(1) No wood trim at all, just bushed aluminum trim.
IMHO, it makes the interior cheap-lookig... but
there are people who like the 'sporty' look...
not for me.

(2) the mesh-look grill can easily be installed later
if you like the look.

(3) My RX300 is millenium silver and I like the two-tone
paint(darker lower panels). However, black looks
cool in silversport edition. Again, if any silver RX300
owner wishes to have the lower panels painted to
match body color, it can easily be done at the body-
shop.(which some have already done so)

Having said all that... one thing does concern me a
little me... does the introduction of this special edition
signal the coming of the next-generation RX?

Bob

Old 03-25-01, 02:09 PM
ZoomSport
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy New RX Design?

Oh my god. If they change the design of the new RX300's, I'm seriously gonna cry. That's so mean of automakers. It's like they don't even tell you if or when they're gonna change the design and specs of a car, even though it's doing so well. Unlike the first generation GS cars, RX has done so well that it'd be weird if they changed the design to make it look like the new "millenium" cars of Nissan and Infiniti. I guess the only thing that concerns me with the RX silversport edition is the sport suspension and the supposedly more powerful engine. All the other stuff that comes with it are basically cosmetic enhancements. Hmm... BMW look? Is Lexus trying to really compete in the BMW market by offering more different options (like the brushed aluminum interior trim)???? Next thing you know, Lexus will be teasing BMW with their all new, redesigned, sportier and more powerful RX300 compared to the X5. Hehehe.... X5 go down the cliff.... LOL I don't think their Hill Decent Controll would save them in that case!
Old 03-25-01, 02:11 PM
Harrier
Pole Position

Bobcat, to answer your question about a next-gen RX coming, it's almost a definitive yes.

You see, in the past, Lexus usually offers a special edition for a model which they plan on changing in some major way. Take in 96, when the first Coach edition ES came out. A year later, it gets a total redesign. In 2000, the Platinum editions came out for the GS, ES and LS. The LS gets a total redesign; the GS gets a bigger engine; the ES will be redesigned next year.

The way I see, it, however. The SilverSport is more an offering for those who are looking to buying an X5 3.0i. The main offering on the SilverSport isn't cosmetics; it's the Euro-tuned suspension that many people have not mentioned. That's the biggest draw. I think they should have included bigger, low-profile wheels to add to the distinction. All in all, the SilverSport adds $2,800 to the base RX price. Is it worth it? You'd have to see how the ride is effected.

I didn't notice the unibody coloring. Like Bobcat said, some people (myself included) have already painted the lower panels to match. I'm interested in seeing the next gen RX. I'm betting that it's going to be boxier than the current model.
Old 03-25-01, 04:11 PM
sleepybobcat

Hmmm... I didn't notice the silversport edition includes
sport suspension.... that is something I'm definitely
interested in... I assume the sport suspension parts
will fit on regular RX300... gotta test-drive one when
they arrive in showrooms. My RX300's suspension
is definitely on the soft side, not that it's a bad thing...
but there are times when harder(harsher) suspension
is needed...

Bigger wheels are nice, too!
I was in LA about a month ago and I saw a black
'01 RX300 with 19" wheel... very cool! (not the chrome
of course, which is a California thing)

Bob