RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Keyless entry not working with new actuator

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-17, 03:52 PM
thegrouse
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RX300 Keyless entry not working with new actuator

I just changed the passenger side door lock actuator on my 2001 RX300. The power lock now works but the keyless entry does not. I found the diagnostic mode for the keyless entry. The transmitter is working fine. The keyless entry will not lock, unlock or sound the panic alarm when the buttons are pressed. The new actuator works fine. I believe I hooked everything up correctly because when I lock the passenger door with a key it locks the other doors. This tells me that end of it is working. Anybody have any ideas? I have done an extensive google search and so far nada.
Old 06-03-17, 04:34 PM
thegrouse
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wanted to update this for the next person who has trouble with the keyless entry fob not working after a door lock actuator replacement on a RX300. I read through 22 pages of the actuator thread and found somebody had a similar issue and it they disassembled and reassembled and it started working. I went outside to check the lock operation to see how smooth it was. When I opened the door the car alarm started honking the horn. I do not drive this vehicle much and I had no idea it had a factory car alarm or how it got set. It may have been when I entered the diagnostic mode for the transmitter. When the alarm started sounding off I used the key fob and it stopped the honking. It began working. I cycled several lock/unlock cycles and it works great. I am still not sure what happened but I will take it. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Willtyndal (04-26-19)
Old 10-20-17, 11:51 AM
kbrij
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi thegrouse,

I am having the exact same problem you are. I replaced the front passenger door actuator with one off amazon and my keyless features stopped working on both my OEM remote keys.
When using the driver side key cylinder all functions work (all doors lock and unlock, windows can be wound up and down), when using the power lock buttons all doors work.
I noticed you mentioned you're passenger door key cylinder was able to lock and unlock all doors? Mine is not doing this and just wanted to confirm the passenger door had this feature.
Also would you be able to share the diagnostic mode you used to confirm the transmitter is okay.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 10-20-17, 12:27 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

It would be helpful if you could describe the process steps to get into diagnosis mode.

One way to activate the alarm is roll down the window and lock the RX.

Reach in for the door release through the window opening and try to open the door from inside.

Salim
Old 10-25-17, 10:35 AM
Kuboijoy
Driver School Candidate

Default Issue found

Had the same issue on 2003 rx 300. Ordered replacement lock actuator from ebay and amazon to find out that the keyless doesn't work when installed. Came to find out that when actuator was plugged; it would disengage the keyless fob. When unplugged the actuator; i was able to use the keyless fob. I am thinking there is a difference in the plug pins thats disengaging the keyless fob or the electrical part of the locking system. Still trying to find an actuator that may work with the car.
Old 11-17-17, 08:54 PM
rayce25
Driver School Candidate

Checking to see if anyone has a solution on keyless entry not working.I recently installed 4 actuators that were purchased from ebay. All door locks work now but no keyless entry. Ive deleted fob and added fob per reprogramming instructions with success but once exit programming fob doesn't work.
Old 11-19-17, 07:50 PM
Kuboijoy
Driver School Candidate

@rayce25 - use factory parts. Tried a couple ebay actuators with same issues. Just find a used OEM part and it should work.
Old 11-20-17, 07:33 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

rayce25, If you haven't thrown away the old actuators, try fixing them by replacing the motors inside. I have done that on two of mine. Thinking about doing the other two as preventative maintenance. The OEM actuators are $$$.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-write-up.html
Old 11-21-17, 10:48 PM
rayce25
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the reply
Old 02-23-18, 01:11 PM
soonerck
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Okay, so I successfully reprogrammed my remote. Use the "re-write mode" (2 on to lock position cycles) Here are the instructions for entering diagnostic mode:

MODES OF REGISTRATION

There are 4 registration (programming) modes:

Add Mode - Adds a transmitter without erasing existing

transmitter codes. Four transmitter codes can be registered at one

time. If number of registered codes exceeds 4, previously registered

codes are erased in order, starting with first registered code.

Rewrite Mode - Erases all previously registered transmitter

codes and reprogram new transmitters.

Confirmation Mode - Informs user of number of existing

transmitter codes already programmed in system.

Prohibition Mode - Erases all existing registered transmitter

codes and cancels wireless door lock operation. Use this function if

transmitter is lost or stolen.

REGISTRATION OF RECOGNITION CODE

1) To begin programming, remove key from ignition switch.

Ensure driver’s door is open and unlocked, and all other doors are

closed. Insert key into ignition switch, and then remove it. Go to

next step.

2) Complete the following in 40 seconds or less: press door

lock switch to LOCK position, and then within one second, press door

lock switch to UNLOCK position. Repeat procedure continuously until

door locks have been locked and unlocked 5 times. Close, and then open

driver’s door. Go to next step.

3) Complete the following in 40 seconds or less: repeat

procedure in step 2), except for closing and opening driver’s door.

Insert key into ignition switch. To enter desired mode, turn ignition

switch to ON position and back to LOCK position (one cycle), within

one second, the specified number of times. See

REGISTRATION MODE SELECTION table. Remove key from ignition switch. Go

to next step.

REGISTRATION MODE SELECTION

Registration Mode No. Of Ignition Switch Cycles

Add .............................................................. 1

Rewrite .......................................................... 2

Confirmation ..................................................... 3

Prohibition ...................................................... 5

NOTE: I didn't ever get the confirmation cycles of the locks but it worked nonetheless!
The following 2 users liked this post by soonerck:
AlanPauler (10-09-20), Toolman40 (08-13-20)
Old 02-23-18, 01:42 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

For key-fob to operate properly all of the following must happen correctly.

1. Key sends out a "certain" RF signal
2. RX receives the RF signal and compares with its "stored RF signal"
3. If they match send an electrical signal to the lock actuator.
-- at this time the electrical signal from the front two door lock/un-lock buttons is some what equivalent --- (not the thumb operated mechanical switch) --
4. The door actuator then lock and unlocks the door.

When any says the door actuator is not working, I always ask to check if the door buttons work. If they do then the actuator is most likely working.

1-2-3 problems are either due to remote or the receiver or the programming.

Salim
AlanPauler (10-09-20)
Old 10-24-18, 12:32 PM
Umericat
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Set off alarm fixed my key fob!

Originally Posted by thegrouse
I wanted to update this for the next person who has trouble with the keyless entry fob not working after a door lock actuator replacement on a RX300. I read through 22 pages of the actuator thread and found somebody had a similar issue and it they disassembled and reassembled and it started working. I went outside to check the lock operation to see how smooth it was. When I opened the door the car alarm started honking the horn. I do not drive this vehicle much and I had no idea it had a factory car alarm or how it got set. It may have been when I entered the diagnostic mode for the transmitter. When the alarm started sounding off I used the key fob and it stopped the honking. It began working. I cycled several lock/unlock cycles and it works great. I am still not sure what happened but I will take it. Good luck.
Setting off the alarm fixed my key fob issue too! Here was my situation:

I have a 2001 RX300 that had 2 of the locks (Rear left side and Front passenger side) were not automatically locking and unlocking. I did a lot of reading on this forum and purchased 2 actuators to replace. The rear left side worked perfectly after a few tries of installing. Front passenger presented some issues that I'd like to share with anyone that might have these issues.

For my front passenger lock, it did not work until I plugged back in the window control panel. At first I thought the new actuator I purchased was faulty but after trying to fix the actuator, I plugged in the window controller to test and the lock started working. Then after I put the passenger door back together, I retested using the door lock control and was happy. Until I tried to use my key fob!

The key fob didn't work. The light on the key fob was blinking but the car would not respond. I tried to reprogram the key fob 10 times and after reprogramming, same results. Nothing worked. I finally read this thread and have been trying to set the alarm off but I couldn't figure out how. With my car manually locked with the key from the drivers door, I saw the alarm is set. Every time I would unlock from the drivers door, the alarm would deactivate so I couldn't get the alarm system to activate. So eventually I read that it might be the electronics in the front passenger actuator that wasn't compatible. I was getting ready to uninstall everything again. With the car locked manually with the key in the drivers side door, I saw the alarm was blinking. When I was going to remove the actuator, I went to my passenger side door, used the key to unlock just the passenger door and opened it. Alarm went off! I used the key fob to disarm and everything started to work.

I'm no expert but that was an easy fix. I didn't find any other fix on the threads so maybe this would help your situation.

Last edited by Umericat; 10-24-18 at 02:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Umericat:
salimshah (10-24-18), Willtyndal (04-19-19)
Old 11-05-19, 06:24 PM
Lucalee
Driver School Candidate

Default I have the similar issues when I replace my window switch

When I install a new switch on my rx300,the switch can control the windows up and down well,but I can't use my remote key to lock/unlock my door.Is there any suggestion for me?
Old 11-22-19, 11:52 AM
CoolRide
Driver School Candidate

Default Be sure to replace ALL door lock actuators

All but one door lock actuator was working, so I replaced three. Remote stopped working. Attempted to reprogram remote... no dice. Replaced the fourth actuator that was working, and bingo. Remote works now. Apparently after-market actuators and oem don’t mix well. Replace all four with the same type/mfg and you should be good to go.

Originally Posted by thegrouse
I just changed the passenger side door lock actuator on my 2001 RX300. The power lock now works but the keyless entry does not. I found the diagnostic mode for the keyless entry. The transmitter is working fine. The keyless entry will not lock, unlock or sound the panic alarm when the buttons are pressed. The new actuator works fine. I believe I hooked everything up correctly because when I lock the passenger door with a key it locks the other doors. This tells me that end of it is working. Anybody have any ideas? I have done an extensive google search and so far nada.
Old 07-04-20, 10:08 AM
AndyV
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX300 Remote not working

Originally Posted by Lucalee
When I install a new switch on my rx300,the switch can control the windows up and down well,but I can't use my remote key to lock/unlock my door.Is there any suggestion for me?
Yes,
I tried everything several times from adding, deleting, re-programing my remote but nothing worked until I tried the following:
​​​​​​1) Lock your doors with the key on the driver's side door, then wait until the red security light goes from constant on to blinking (about one minute) this sets the alarm...
2) Go to the passengers door and unlock it with the key and open the door, this will set off the alarm then close the door and go around to the driver's door...
3) Unlock it with the key then open it, while it's open use your remote's unlock button and that should stop the alarm and activate your remote... Good luck
Toolman40 (08-13-20)

Quick Reply: RX300 Keyless entry not working with new actuator