RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

necessary to clean fuel injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-17, 06:06 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default necessary to clean fuel injectors?

is it important to clean fuel injectors or use any of these "fuel system cleaning" products as part of routine maintenance?
Old 03-11-17, 07:10 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

If you use quality gas and alway tend to keep 1/4 tank or more, [never attempt to try to find how many miles you can go after the gas light come on], you should not need any additional product or service.

If you add any additional cleaners, change oil after the majority of the product is out of the system. Run till almost empty and fill the tank with new gas and then change oil.

YMMV

Salim
The following users liked this post:
hsmac (03-11-17)
Old 03-11-17, 07:57 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
If you use quality gas and alway tend to keep 1/4 tank or more, [never attempt to try to find how many miles you can go after the gas light come on], you should not need any additional product or service.

If you add any additional cleaners, change oil after the majority of the product is out of the system. Run till almost empty and fill the tank with new gas and then change oil.

YMMV

Salim
so if i did run past 1/4 tank (in my college days did this frequently and once had the tank run out completely) i would need some product/service?
Old 03-11-17, 02:03 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmac
so if i did run past 1/4 tank (in my college days did this frequently and once had the tank run out completely) i would need some product/service?
What makes you think you have clogged injector(s)?

Or are you looking for an opportunity to tinker?

Salim
Old 03-11-17, 09:31 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
What makes you think you have clogged injector(s)?

Or are you looking for an opportunity to tinker?

Salim
haha i actually needed to spend more to meet a purchase requirement and was looking for any maintenance i could do and corresponding parts. i read that fuel filter is part of a tune-up but the consensus here is that it's unnecessary.
Old 03-12-17, 08:50 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

if you plan to clean your injectors, don't bother with the snake oil that you pour in the tank. While changing out your spark plugs, you may notice uneven deposits on the tips which may be caused by poor spray patterns aside from leaky pcv causes. Spend the money to remove, clean and flow your injectors properly. A reputable service will also replace filter baskets, seals, o-ring and pintle caps if applicable. Other forums i've come across in the past say on average to clean them approximately every 150K miles to maintain the best spray pattern and prevent fuel leakages from brittle o-rings and seals.
Old 03-14-17, 06:26 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

On my IS300 I routinely run the gas level down to E every week before refueling. It does not harm your injectors unless you run dry. That is when you damage the pintles. However, every now and then I run some MMO in the gas to help clean the injectors. It also lubricates them at the same time. It actually quieted the fuel injector noise when I first biught the RX300. The noise was loud but after a couple of doses of MMO, it runs quieter now. I prefer to use injector cleaner before a long road trip to have a continuous flow of cleaner until the dose is done.
Old 03-14-17, 03:10 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
On my IS300 I routinely run the gas level down to E every week before refueling. It does not harm your injectors unless you run dry. That is when you damage the pintles. However, every now and then I run some MMO in the gas to help clean the injectors. It also lubricates them at the same time. It actually quieted the fuel injector noise when I first biught the RX300. The noise was loud but after a couple of doses of MMO, it runs quieter now. I prefer to use injector cleaner before a long road trip to have a continuous flow of cleaner until the dose is done.
we run the tank to empty frequently too with our vehicles. it's supposed to be bad for the fuel pump but considering how old our vehicles are and how we've never had to replace the pump i might have to disagree just how bad it is.
Old 05-08-17, 05:57 PM
amar7613
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DrCoffee,
"On my IS300 I routinely run the gas level down to E every week before refueling. It does not harm your injectors unless you run dry. That is when you damage the pintles. However, every now and then I run some MMO in the gas to help clean the injectors. It also lubricates them at the same time. It actually quieted the fuel injector noise when I first biught the RX300. The noise was loud but after a couple of doses of MMO, it runs quieter now. I prefer to use injector cleaner before a long road trip to have a continuous flow of cleaner until the dose is done.: end quote

What is the MMO you referring too? Think my fuel injectors are noisy. tapping!

Last edited by salimshah; 05-09-17 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Amar's post some how lost the quotation and made it look like Amar is addressing Dr. Coffee ... salim
Old 05-08-17, 07:24 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by amar7613
DrCoffee,

What is the MMO you referring too? Think my fuel injectors are noisy. tapping!

I have never used it before, but it's been around for a long time.
Attached Thumbnails necessary to clean fuel injectors?-mvl012.jpg  
Old 05-09-17, 08:11 PM
amar7613
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it. thank you carguy07