Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-05, 03:35 PM
Canyonero
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner

I'm about to go through another oil change. I fill up my car regularly at Chevron with techron. Is it necessary to purchase the techron concentrate bottle you're supposed to use every time you change your oil or would that be just a waste of money?
Old 06-01-05, 03:37 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyonero
I'm about to go through another oil change. I fill up my car regularly at Chevron with techron. Is it necessary to purchase the techron concentrate bottle you're supposed to use every time you change your oil or would that be just a waste of money?
No it's overkill. Only use the techron additive if you're using non-Techron added gas (aka not Chevron or Texaco).
Old 06-01-05, 05:50 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Almost all major gas brands have cleaning additives. I add a bottle of Techron since I fill up at Costco, which buys gas from BP, Chevron, or Shell in bulk but w/o additives.
Old 06-01-05, 06:47 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

It's good stuff to use on a long highway trip. I put it in every 6 months.
Old 06-05-05, 07:13 PM
Nawk Nad
Driver School Candidate

Hey Lexfreak, I've read alot of good stuff about Techron, where do you buy it in Canada? I want to try it.
Old 06-05-05, 08:30 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you sneak it across the border.
Old 06-06-05, 04:59 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by steviej
you sneak it across the border.
Correct!

Although in B.C. they carry it from what I have heard. I buy a pile of it when I go to the states, enough to last a year or so.
Old 06-06-05, 02:30 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Almost all major gas brands have cleaning additives. I add a bottle of Techron since I fill up at Costco, which buys gas from BP, Chevron, or Shell in bulk but w/o additives.
Actually all gas have cleaning additives required by law - including the gas you buy from Costco, Walmart, or mom-n-pop joints. Enough to keep the fuel injectors clean. Unless somebody dumped sugar into your gas tank, there's no need to use any gas treatment.

I used Techron in my last car. Didn't do jack. My 2002 RX300 has never seen Techron (or any Chevron station) and it runs fine.

My personal opinion is that there's no need to worry about the fuel injectors getting gummed up or clogged (as seen on TV.) That's what fuel filter is for. Also gasoline is a very strong solvent. Don't believe the scare-tactic marketing. Gas additive products fix a problem that didn't exist.
Old 06-06-05, 10:07 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Actually all gas have cleaning additives required by law - including the gas you buy from Costco, Walmart, or mom-n-pop joints. Enough to keep the fuel injectors clean. Unless somebody dumped sugar into your gas tank, there's no need to use any gas treatment.

I used Techron in my last car. Didn't do jack. My 2002 RX300 has never seen Techron (or any Chevron station) and it runs fine.

My personal opinion is that there's no need to worry about the fuel injectors getting gummed up or clogged (as seen on TV.) That's what fuel filter is for. Also gasoline is a very strong solvent. Don't believe the scare-tactic marketing. Gas additive products fix a problem that didn't exist.
A 20oz bottle say every 6 months for about $8 each treatment will hardly hurt anything either & I do personally notice a difference so for me it's worth it.
Old 06-06-05, 10:14 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

What difference did you feel? I didn't notice any difference with my last car, so feel free to share your experience with Techron. Does it make your RX go faster? run smoother? etc. Thanks.
Old 06-06-05, 10:22 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

What difference did you feel? I didn't notice any difference with my last car, so feel free to share your experience with Techron. Does it make your RX go faster? run smoother? etc. Thanks.

I agree with you! I added a bottle of this stuff and didn't feel jack.. Then again I had my oil changed a few days later...
Old 06-06-05, 11:18 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And how much of that "faster" and "smoother" is psychological?
Old 06-07-05, 06:36 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Actually I drive an ES, not an RX I found a slight increase in fuel economy more than anything else. As I stated, it hurts nothing by using one bottle every 6 months & I found it works best on a long highway drive (I use it when driving down to Florida). What's $8 every 6 months? several gallons of fuel overall? Hardly something to argue about in the grand scheme of things.
Old 06-07-05, 07:19 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another vehicle I own suffered once from a clogged fuel injecter.

Not knowing what it was after putting up with it for quite a few months I finally went to the dealer for a scope check.
$150.00 later they had performed an injector cleaning service to try and "blow" it out with chemicals. If that did not work.... $$$ for a new injector and manifold removel to get to it.
It ran fine for a day after and started acting up again. I went to Wally World and purchased three bottles of cleaner and dumped them in the tank and ran it home to sit overnite and let the fluid sit and do it's thing inside the injector.
Ran great from then on.

Later,
JU
Old 06-07-05, 10:37 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
What's $8 every 6 months? several gallons of fuel overall? Hardly something to argue about in the grand scheme of things.
$8 isn't much, but if it doesn't do jack for me, I am not paying for it. I'd use the money for something else, like that Arby burger Paris Hilton had during car wash.

Here's my beef with Techron: I had serious carbon deposit problem with my last car (because I used premium fuel when the engine calls for regular, my mistake.) Supposely Techron can clean it. So I bought one, didn't work. Bought another one, same thing. Dumped two bottles next tank, still nothing. One more try.... one more disappointment. So it didn't do jack even after 5 bottles and 4 tanks. That's $6.99 for every 12 oz. bottle. I will never buy another Techron again. It doesn't work, period.

After trying several other big name products, I eventually found something that worked - Chemtool B-12. (Just $3 a bottle at AutoZone.) Cleaned my engine after just one bottle. I put in another bottle during the next fuel up just to be sure. The car still runs today.... on regular of course.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 06-07-05 at 10:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (04-30-19)

Quick Reply: Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner