RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Emergency/Parking Brake Fit Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-16, 04:25 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Emergency/Parking Brake Fit Problem

So I had the bright idea of replacing my emergency brakes and rotors. I've tried three different shoes from three different stores. Here is the break-down:

Advanced Auto - shoes are significantly longer than the others with the least amount of padding. You can't get the rotor on at all. ($20)
Auto Zone (Duralast) - shoes may be *slightly* longer than Napa, but padding appears to be comparable. ($18)
Napa - the smallest of the shoes with good padding. ($36)

As I was tired of taking shoes off & on, I skipped the Duralasts and went right for the smallest of the bunch. Sure enough, with the old and new rotors I can get them on, but just barely. I can hear brakes scraping a bit no matter which way I turn the wheel. If I first turn the wheel as if traveling forwards, the wheel will rotate. If I then turn it as if the car is reversing, it will still rotate but lock up when going forward.

So, does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to fix it? This is driving me nuts.
Old 04-02-16, 05:10 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

It's been a long time since I had my rear rotors off, but I seem to recall there's a way to adjust the emergency shoes through a hole in the rotor/drum if they're rubbing too much or if the drum portion will barely clear them. I don't know if that's helpful or not.
Old 04-02-16, 05:56 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

If you are talking about the thing on the bottom, that's the star-wheel adjuster. I have that as shortened as possible just to get the rotor back on. I tried adjusting that but things still aren't going right. Thanks for the response!
Old 04-02-16, 07:15 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

are the hold down pins locking the shoes down flat? FWIW, i had no issues with Centric rear shoes #11008590 i installed last month. Getting the locking cap on the hold down pins is the toughest thing due to space.
Old 04-02-16, 07:56 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I am not certain, but there can be differences between FWD and AWD parking brakes.

Take the aftermarket pads and compare with the one from Lexus Parts. You are not obliged to buy parts from Lexus.

Hint: the shoes sort of float [to allow self centering] in the drum. I spin the drum by hand and use a rubber mallet on the sides of the drum to help the shoes center. You may have to repeat this after applying the brakes a few times. Granted you need the assurance that the parts are right

Salim
Old 04-02-16, 08:17 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by salimshah
. I spin the drum by hand and use a rubber mallet on the sides of the drum to help the shoes center. You may have to repeat this after applying the brakes a few times. Granted you need the assurance that the parts are right

Salim
I'm trying to understand your method. How will using a rubber mallet on the sides of the drum help when the rotor is locked in place by the wheel studs?
The shoes are kept equidistant from the drum via a spring loaded strut on the top and adjusting wheel on the bottom. Upon first usage of the parking brake, the shoes will return centered inside the drum upon release.
Old 04-02-16, 10:21 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Unfortunately I'm not anywhere near a Lexus and I'm pretty sure the shoes I pulled off weren't factory. I don't know if it's a case of too large shoes or too small rotor. I'm going to take a look at those Centrics because I think the local parts store will have them.

My parking brake cable did lock up and I replaced that, so that can't be the problem (at least I really hope not). I bought new hardware. And yes, the pins are a PITA, but I got those on too. I took some pictures, I think I'll upload them. Maybe one of you guys can see if I put something on incorrectly.
Old 04-03-16, 06:26 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Default Emergency/Parking Brake Fit Problem

Originally Posted by thaeleelyr
Unfortunately I'm not anywhere near a Lexus and I'm pretty sure the shoes I pulled off weren't factory. I don't know if it's a case of too large shoes or too small rotor. I'm going to take a look at those Centrics because I think the local parts store will have them.

My parking brake cable did lock up and I replaced that, so that can't be the problem (at least I really hope not). I bought new hardware. And yes, the pins are a PITA, but I got those on too. I took some pictures, I think I'll upload them. Maybe one of you guys can see if I put something on incorrectly.
i double checked the rockauto catalog where i bought the shoes, there is no FWD/AWD designation. FWIW, my RX is a 2002

Btw, check the lower pin stays are flat and in the keyed holes. This might be an area of detail that may push a shoe to be misaligned.
Attached Thumbnails Emergency/Parking Brake Fit Problem-20160302_145234.jpg  

Last edited by fastnoypi; 04-03-16 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-03-16, 09:54 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

thaeleelyr:

I hope you have not trashed the old ones. If not just use them for comparison. Folks can call me Lexus bigot .. but what you are experiencing is what I want to avoid. But that is all besides the point.

fastnoypi:

The mallet thing only works with the right size shoes. What it does is provide lateral force to push the shoes where they are off centered. By hand I will spin the drum and tap the sides (usually 12, 4, 8 o'clock position). The same can be achieved by applying the shoe brake, but makes it 2 person job or too many back and forth trips. I have worked on self adjusting shoes, but last I checked there was no ratchet pawl mechanism in RX.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 04-03-16 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-03-16, 10:02 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by salimshah

fastnoypi:

The mallet thing only works with the right size shoes. What it does is provide lateral force to push the shoes where they are off centered. By hand I will spin the drum and tap the sides (usually 12, 4, 8 o'clock position). The same can be achieved by applying the shoe brake. I have worked on self adjusting shoes, but last I checked there was no ratchet pawl mechanism in RX.

Salim
Thanks for the tip, i'll try to remember it if i exhaust all the other methods if i come across this issue. Right size shoes for the application always helps. When i dabble on anything aftermarket i always compare/contrast the size fit and finish to the worn OEM item.
Old 04-03-16, 02:37 PM
MikeS99rx3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had same issue with auto zone brake shoes. Ended up having to use the auto zone hardware, since the adjuster thingy was a lil smaller than oem one.