RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Motor mount issue 2000 RX 300

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-24, 05:25 PM
pieceofbread
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Please verify that your assumption is correct by confirming the mounts are weak or broken. In extreme cases one can noticeably see the engine shift position. Also engine and transmission are connected at bell housing. The transmission also has mounts. Those mounts can go bad as well.

There are 3 mounts ... all below the engine. One below oil filter is "active" mount which counteracts the engine vibration and the other 2 are passive. There is a dog-bone support at the top of the engine which is a brace to counter act the torque developed by engine under power.

Mechanics along with visual also use long pry bars to forcibly shift the engine/transmission to see if the mounts are compromised.

I have never priced the mounts. The active mount maybe fairly expensive.

Salim
well my car has been having problems. It runs rough when driving for a while and accelerating really hard. I thought it was my valve cover because I had oil leaking into my spark plug wells so I replaced the valve cover with new tube seals. I drove it well the whole day the day I replaced it but I drove it later on during the night and I had to accelerate a bit harder to go uphill twice. When I got uphill the second time I put it in park but I noticed before I parked that my car was kinda running rough. When I drove it down hill it was still running rough and my check engine light came on started blinking. I got home and used my scanner and it didn’t read any new codes, it just showed old codes I had. Do you think it could be my mounts?
Old 02-26-24, 05:38 PM
salimshah

Received 1,000 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by pieceofbread
well my car has been having problems. It runs rough when driving for a while and accelerating really hard. I thought it was my valve cover because I had oil leaking into my spark plug wells so I replaced the valve cover with new tube seals. I drove it well the whole day the day I replaced it but I drove it later on during the night and I had to accelerate a bit harder to go uphill twice. When I got uphill the second time I put it in park but I noticed before I parked that my car was kinda running rough. When I drove it down hill it was still running rough and my check engine light came on started blinking. I got home and used my scanner and it didn’t read any new codes, it just showed old codes I had. Do you think it could be my mounts?
Determination of bad mounts must be done by inspection. When the go bad you get clunks when engine shifts under change in load or power.

Flashing CEL means misfire and that would explain loss of power and rough engine.

If you prefer, take the vehicle to a mechanic. If you want to diagnose yourself, write down the codes, clear codes and read the codes the first time CEL lights up.

Salim