RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How To: RX300 Instrumental Cluster "D" light replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-14, 11:16 PM
xtwister16
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Post How To: RX300 Instrumental Cluster "D" light replacement

Problem:
The "D" light on the instrumental cluster of your RX300 does not light up anymore.

Tools Required:
Phillips Head Screw Driver
Flat Head Screwdriver

Time to Replace:
30 minutes

Important information:
Make sure to REMOVE the ignition key before proceeding, and do not insert key until the instrumental cluster is connected. If the key is inserted before instrumental cluster is connected, the airbag light will turn on and need to be reset.

Instructions:
Step 1: Remove 2 Philips head screws above the instrumental cluster (Fig.1).

Step 2: Pry off panel to the left of steering wheel which has the mirror controls and seat presets (Fig. 2 & 3). Once pried off, do not disconnect the cables.

Step 3: Pry off panel to the right of steering wheel where the ignition key goes (Fig. 4).

Step 4: Using the latch under the steering column, adjust/tilt the steering wheel all the way down (Fig. 5).

Step 5: Pry off black bezel around cluster, start from the bottom and pull out (Fig. 6).

Step 6: Disconnect dimmer cable on back of black bezel (Fig. 7).

Step 7: Remove 3 screws holding the instrumental cluster (Fig. 8).

Step 8: Slowly Pull out instrumental panel and put it the position seen in Figure 9. You can remove the bulb from that position since it is visible. The "D" drive bulb is indicated in Figure 9. Optionally, for better access, you can disconnect the 3 cables seen in Figure 9, and completely pull out the instrumental cluster (Fig.10).

Re-Assembly Notes:
Make sure you pull put the dimmer cable disconnected in Figure 7 before inserting the instrumental cluster!

Note about replacement bulb: If you get the original bulb from the dealer, it will probably last you a couple years. You can buy an LED bulb instead, which will last much longer. However, since LED's are so bright, the light bulb will look bright blue instead of green (at least it did for me when I got the white LED, they didn't have green at the time).

OEM: Light Bulb Part: 83119-24670 (~$5 at dealer), as seen in Fig 11.

LED: $1.50 + $0.80 shipping
http://www.wardenjp.com/stores/neowedge.html (Select T4 "Neo Wedge LED bulbs", white or green )

Just Bulb: $2 - In-store pickup
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...80#tabsetBasic

Aftermarket: $1 + $5 shipping
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...SE-LAMP/1.html

Last edited by xtwister16; 09-29-14 at 11:20 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by xtwister16:
dakrause (06-02-23), jbl-1985 (12-13-23), JohnNW (01-15-23), skohan (10-23-17)
Old 10-01-14, 11:23 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Great DIY, good addition to the previous one on this topic!
Old 10-01-14, 07:30 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I have changed this bulb myself. Very nice explanation -- thank you for posting it!
Old 10-14-14, 05:05 PM
dbarber45
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You make it look easy...thanks for the post. As my D bulb has been out for some time, I may give this a try.
Old 10-21-14, 05:18 PM
2002RX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys first post here, I am currently in the process of doing the "D" light bulb replacement and I want to know what bulb this is?
Mine is missing, just kinda curious what option this is. Its above the ECT SNOW Light I believe.
I know its not the PWR light as that is on the other side.

Thanks, Tom
Attached Thumbnails How To: RX300 Instrumental Cluster "D" light replacement-d-bulb.jpg  
Old 10-23-14, 05:49 AM
snorander
Driver School Candidate

Which one is the correct neo wedge to order?
you said Select T4 "Neo Wedge LED bulbs", white or green

Is it the 2pcs T4 Tall Neo Wedge LED bulbs that I should order or "2pcs T3/T4/T5 Neo Wedge LED bulbs (Red/Green)
Available in T3, T4 and T5 fitting types, which are distinguished by diameter of the grey plastic base.
USD1.50 for 2pcs"?

Thanks!

Last edited by snorander; 10-24-14 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-24-14, 05:10 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Great instructions. I might be mistaken but it looks like the engine is running in the first couple of the pictures. Can't be a good idea.
Old 11-01-14, 12:57 PM
xtwister16
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002RX
Mine is missing, just kinda curious what option this is. Its above the ECT SNOW Light I believe.
Sorry, don't have the car anymore, can't check, but I'm sure someone else here will be able to check.

Originally Posted by kalali
I might be mistaken but it looks like the engine is running in the first couple of the pictures. Can't be a good idea.
Yeah, I kept the engine running for the first couple steps to keep the heat on. I did this in the middle of January, it was freezing cold outside.

Originally Posted by snorander
Which one is the correct neo wedge to order?
you said Select T4 "Neo Wedge LED bulbs", white or green

Is it the 2pcs T4 Tall Neo Wedge LED bulbs that I should order or "2pcs T3/T4/T5 Neo Wedge LED bulbs (Red/Green)
Available in T3, T4 and T5 fitting types, which are distinguished by diameter of the grey plastic base.
USD1.50 for 2pcs"?

Thanks!
Not the tall. Get the ones that state "2pcs T3/T4/T5 Neo Wedge LED bulbs", which currently are $1.50 for 2pcs.
I recommend the getting the green one. When I got mine, the green option was not available, so I got the white, but it's too bright and came out looking blue.

Please let me know how the green one comes out to look like. The reason I recommend the LED is because I've seen some posts where people replaced with an original bulb from the dealer, and it burned out in less then two years. The LED is a permanent fix.

Last edited by xtwister16; 11-01-14 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-03-14, 03:44 AM
snorander
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xtwister16

Not the tall. Get the ones that state "2pcs T3/T4/T5 Neo Wedge LED bulbs", which currently are $1.50 for 2pcs.
I recommend the getting the green one. When I got mine, the green option was not available, so I got the white, but it's too bright and came out looking blue.

Please let me know how the green one comes out to look like. The reason I recommend the LED is because I've seen some posts where people replaced with an original bulb from the dealer, and it burned out in less then two years. The LED is a permanent fix.

Good that's the one I ordered. I will take a pic & let you know when I get around to changing it.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-14, 08:17 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Whoever posted this originally; thanks for this thread!; My "d" light is out also; and im hoping all that it is is the bulb. It sounds like I might be better off going with the led rather than just the regular bulb.
Old 11-08-14, 11:31 AM
kasak
Rookie

My D light is out too.. Thanks for this detailed DIY. Will try. Ordered the green T4 LED bulb from the LED link.

Last edited by kasak; 11-08-14 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-09-14, 10:15 AM
snorander
Driver School Candidate

Great write up, man that was easy!!! Here are the pictures as promised. It's bright, but not as bright as the camera is making it look in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails How To: RX300 Instrumental Cluster "D" light replacement-img_0901.jpg   How To: RX300 Instrumental Cluster "D" light replacement-img_0902.jpg  
Old 06-10-16, 02:32 PM
ERNESTO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xtwister16
Problem:
The "D" light on the instrumental cluster of your RX300 does not light up anymore.

Tools Required:
Phillips Head Screw Driver
Flat Head Screwdriver

Time to Replace:
30 minutes

Important information:
Make sure to REMOVE the ignition key before proceeding, and do not insert key until the instrumental cluster is connected. If the key is inserted before instrumental cluster is connected, the airbag light will turn on and need to be reset.

Instructions:
Step 1: Remove 2 Philips head screws above the instrumental cluster (Fig.1).

Step 2: Pry off panel to the left of steering wheel which has the mirror controls and seat presets (Fig. 2 & 3). Once pried off, do not disconnect the cables.

Step 3: Pry off panel to the right of steering wheel where the ignition key goes (Fig. 4).

Step 4: Using the latch under the steering column, adjust/tilt the steering wheel all the way down (Fig. 5).

Step 5: Pry off black bezel around cluster, start from the bottom and pull out (Fig. 6).

Step 6: Disconnect dimmer cable on back of black bezel (Fig. 7).

Step 7: Remove 3 screws holding the instrumental cluster (Fig. 8).

Step 8: Slowly Pull out instrumental panel and put it the position seen in Figure 9. You can remove the bulb from that position since it is visible. The "D" drive bulb is indicated in Figure 9. Optionally, for better access, you can disconnect the 3 cables seen in Figure 9, and completely pull out the instrumental cluster (Fig.10).

Re-Assembly Notes:
Make sure you pull put the dimmer cable disconnected in Figure 7 before inserting the instrumental cluster!

Note about replacement bulb: If you get the original bulb from the dealer, it will probably last you a couple years. You can buy an LED bulb instead, which will last much longer. However, since LED's are so bright, the light bulb will look bright blue instead of green (at least it did for me when I got the white LED, they didn't have green at the time).

OEM: Light Bulb Part: 83119-24670 (~$5 at dealer), as seen in Fig 11.

LED: $1.50 + $0.80 shipping
http://www.wardenjp.com/stores/neowedge.html (Select T4 "Neo Wedge LED bulbs", white or green )

Just Bulb: $2 - In-store pickup
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...80#tabsetBasic

Aftermarket: $1 + $5 shipping
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...SE-LAMP/1.html
I went to Radio Sack to buy the microlamp, but the bulb is smaller that I want to replace. Is the reference number 2721092 correct?
Thank you
Old 04-11-17, 10:27 AM
ASP20
9th Gear

Does anyone know which bulb is for the cruise control? Does anyone have the schematic that shows what each bulb is for? Thank you.
Old 10-04-17, 08:27 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ASP20
Does anyone know which bulb is for the cruise control? Does anyone have the schematic that shows what each bulb is for? Thank you.
I just noticed that my d light is out... never occurred to me until i came across this post actually as I typically just look at the gear shifter or just know what gear im in. But was wondering are there also other common lights that go out? This area seems very dim in my car.. buttons like the rearview mirror controls and the preset seat button do not light up is this normal? Nor sure if I want to open up the dash just for the d light.

Quick Reply: How To: RX300 Instrumental Cluster "D" light replacement