RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

help! what does flashing SRS warning light mean?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-14, 07:48 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by kalali
I may get one for the Lexus, but as I expected it will not work on German cars.
There is a key word 'MOST' in the claim. That is the one I want confirmation for the models I own.

Salim
Old 10-18-14, 06:50 AM
BlueCrabby
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
There is a key word 'MOST' in the claim. That is the one I want confirmation for the models I own.

Salim

For check engine error codes, it will work with all vehicles with OBD ports.(i.e all those after the later 1990s) Works fine on my 2001 and 2012 Mercedes cars.

For resetting SRS codes, it will *ONLY* work with Toyota, Lexus(including the RX300), Ford, GM, Chryslers vehicles on this list:

http://innova.com/Content/Support/Do..._App_Chart.pdf

I just cleared the flashing SRS light in my RX300 again and it has stayed off for a couple of weeks. Not sure why, but after I clear it, it usually comes back every FOUR months. (cleared in 02/2014, came back 06/2014. Cleared it and it came back again 10/2014)
Old 12-08-14, 08:10 AM
DrDan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The day finally came when I had to take my ’03 RX300 to a very reliable Lexus/Toyota shop because of the rare B1140 code. Thanksgiving night, I started the engine and the air bag light came on and blinked all the way home. Nothing unusual in the start, just a surprise.

My 2004 Toyota Camry had a similar air bag light. I took it to the dealer and the fix was to disconnect the battery, clean the cable contacts under the driver’s seat, reconnect the battery and all was well. This lasted about a year or so when it happened again. The dealer repeated the above steps and the problem was fixed again. It was a “freebie” in both cases even though the car was out of warranty. No trouble since. I thought I might be as lucky on the Lex.

I looked at the Lex and said “no way.” This is too critical for me. The shop computer diagnostic was the right side SRS sensor. They swapped sensors left to right to see if the problem moved to the driver’s door, but it didn’t. In the end, it was the SRS computer to the tune of $800 plus labor.

Considering that this was the only dealer repair I had in 10 years (118,000 miles), other than the timing belt, I don’t feel bad that it was beyond my diagnostic capabilities and was well worth the peace of mind.

Dr Dan
Old 12-21-16, 07:32 PM
Kevvo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had SRS light on for quite sometime now. I wanted to try cleaning the connectors under the seat but just couldn't find them (could someone post picture?).

Also heard it's dangerous, with the whole 90 seconds after battery disconnect(Airbags deploying any second lol).

Not many body/collision shops near me to go get light checked at; so I just ordered the OBD2 reader that has ABS. Will try it and let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 03-26-18, 07:05 AM
Kevvo1
Driver School Candidate

Default Cleared SRS code

I bought the scanner and cleared the code. Very simple but the light came back in exactly 4 months
Old 03-26-18, 08:30 AM
salimshah

I have not come across any post indicating some one has a good knowledge to help you. My best guess is one of the sensors is giving marginal output [could be a bad connector too]. How can it be diagnosed without deploying a bag? You need good instrumentation and qualified technician. Keep in mind, that you can avoid being hurt by not being the vehicle, but the value fo the vehicle plummets once the bags are deployed.

The other solution would be keep clearing the code.

Salim
Old 05-21-18, 07:59 AM
Kevvo1
Driver School Candidate

I cleared code for SRS light again, but now it returns after few DAYS
Old 05-24-18, 02:01 PM
Kevvo1
Driver School Candidate

THis is from the Owners Manual 1-3 Instruments and Controls
(d) SRS Warning Light
The indicator comes on when the ignition key is turned tot he “ON” position. It goes off after about 6 seconds. This means the SRS airbags and front seat belt pretensioners are operating properly.The SRS warning light system monitors the airbag sensor assembly, front airbag sensors, side airbag sensors, front seatbelt pretensioner assemblies, inflators, warning light,interconnecting wiring and power sources.If either of the following conditions occurs, this indicates a malfunction somewhere in the parts monitored by the warning light system. Contact your Lexus dealer as soon as possible to service the vehicle.When the ignition key is turned to the “ON” position, the light does not come on, remains or flashes. The light comes on or starts flashing while driving.If the light stays on, it indicates that the driver and front passenger airbags fail. If the light flashes, the side airbags and/or seat belt pretensioners fail.

Guess my issue is likely the seatbelt pretensioner. Gonna disconnect battery for 1hr+ before following the seatbelt wire to the wireharness connector. Just gonna unplug and reconnect, hoping it goes away.
Old 05-24-18, 02:03 PM
Kevvo1
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have a motorcycle helmet?? lol
Old 08-02-18, 08:36 PM
ejdossary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RX300 Airbag Light still Flashing

Originally Posted by titangummy
It's actually quite easy with this tool..... takes less than 7 clicks and the SRS code is erased.

The tool allows SRS reset for most Lexus and Toyota vehicles... as well as some GM/Ford/Chrysler/Honda

$149 each, Link to Amazon.com: INNOVA 3150 Diagnostic Code Reader with ABS/SRS for OBD2 Vehicles: Automotive

It's also available at my local Walmart store, but with sales tax.

I still have an SRS flashing light after replacing my failed front driver's seat buckle on my 2002 RX300. The Airbag light came on flashing and after looking into the problem I discovered that my seat belt Light was not turning on ! Now that I replaced the seat belt I bought from Lexus, the Airbag light is still Flashing. I may have to look into buying one of the DCR since my regular OBD2 will not read the SRS code on my 2002 RX300. I will try another Autozone store to see if they can reset my SRS Flashing light. Any suggestions are welcome.
EJ Dossary, EE

Old 08-02-18, 08:39 PM
salimshah

My understanding is the shops/store which read the code do not clear the code.

Salim
Old 08-02-18, 09:46 PM
ejdossary
Driver

I went to Autozone today with my RX300 Airbag light Flashing. Autozone told me that they do not have a DCR to read the code. I want also to PEP BOYS in my area. The one I visited told me they do not have a technician to reset the code. They are looking for one to hire. The suggested that I see another PEP BOYS store in a town near me that will reset the code for me. I will see if I can have Another Autozone or Pep Boys reset my code instead of buying the INNOVA 3150 DCR with ABS/SRS. I will report my findings.
Thanks to all participants.
EJDossary, EE
Old 08-05-18, 07:48 PM
ejdossary
Driver

Originally Posted by titangummy
help! what does flashing SRS warning light mean? this is on a 2001 RX300 AWD.

Thanks!

Flashing SRS warning light indicates that the Airbag system is experience a malfunction with its sensors on your vehicle and will not deploy when needed during a collision. Invest in a DCR reader to pin point the troubled sensor(s). I will report my findings after I used my purchased INNOV 3150b this week.
EJDossary, EE
Old 08-05-18, 07:52 PM
ejdossary
Driver

I did order an "INNOVA 3150b" DCR after my discussions with Lexus in my locale !!
EJDossary, EE
Old 08-05-18, 07:55 PM
ejdossary
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
My understanding is the shops/store which read the code do not clear the code.

Salim
Salim, you're absolutely correct. I did visit AutoZone and Pep Boys and they directed me to see the Lexus Dealer to diagnose and repair the problems with the SRS Airbag System.
EJDossary, EE

Quick Reply: help! what does flashing SRS warning light mean?