RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

ECM Master Key/Valet Key Mixed Success

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-14, 12:26 PM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECM Master Key/Valet Key Mixed Success

UPDATED

I bought a RX with only valet key. I learned from this forum that was wrong but also how to set it right.

I ordered two master key blanks (shells) cut to my key code and without electronics inside them. They worked the locks including the glove box beautifully so I knew the cut was correct. ($17 each landed)

I then bought a used ECM with door lock, ignition cylinder and RFID reader, and master key off of eBay. (I didn't think I would ever use the cylinder or the door lock but they were included in the auction.) ($200 landed)

I bought a second used master key off of eBay. ($60 landed)

I then transferred the old electronics into the new key blanks. I swapped the old ECM out for the new (used) one that was already associated with one of the keys.

The car started perfectly with the new ECM, new key and transferred electronics from the key that came with the ECM, original cylinder and door locks.

I successfully programmed the other new key as well.

At this point I have two working remote master keys with all of their buttons working and starting the car just fine.

Here is the rub or the unsuccessful part of the mixed success:

I cannot for the life of me get the old valet key, the one that came with the car, to program.

QUESTIONS:

1. Is the procedure for programming a valet the same as a master? ANSWER-YES The master and valet program the same way
2. Is there a way to know if this ECM has already been programmed with its maximum of three valets?

EDIT: UPDATE I gave the printed instructions, the same ones that I used to program the second master, to my wife and asked her to try. She got the valet working on the first try.

Last edited by Z07; 02-02-14 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-02-14, 04:56 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

So in summary you got a ECU with registered master key and then you could register other keys.

Salim
Old 02-02-14, 11:37 PM
Z07
Driver

Yes. I wouldn't have posted except I couldn't figure out how to get the old valet working. I think maybe I wasn't pressing the gas pedal down far enough or I wasn't letting it my foot come all the way off of it.
Old 02-03-14, 07:52 AM
salimshah

In case any one decides to get a new ecu and its master key, I would suggest that they move the electronics (that has the magnetic slug) on to their key. If you count on the remote function to let you in, one of these days, you will be locked out. RX remote safe mode, disables itself if receives signal from another RX nearby.

Salim
Old 02-03-14, 08:18 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
In case any one decides to get a new ecu and its master key, I would suggest that they move the electronics (that has the magnetic slug) on to their key. If you count on the remote function to let you in, one of these days, you will be locked out. RX remote safe mode, disables itself if receives signal from another RX nearby.

Salim
I wonder if anyone has ever experienced that? I remember reading about that feature, but haven't experienced it myself.

At one point, there was 7 first generation RX300's in my work parking lot. All of which were parked within' 2 rows of each other. Remote entry still worked.

As a side note, It's incredible how many first gen RX's I see driving around where I am, I see at least one RX300 every time I leave the house.
Old 02-03-14, 10:24 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by hypervish
I wonder if anyone has ever experienced that? I remember reading about that feature, but haven't experienced it myself.

At one point, there was 7 first generation RX300's in my work parking lot. All of which were parked within' 2 rows of each other. Remote entry still worked.

As a side note, It's incredible how many first gen RX's I see driving around where I am, I see at least one RX300 every time I leave the house.
It has happened 4 or 5 times to me. I had to insert my key in the door and it would reset even if I tried to lock. imho it depends if other owner tries to unlock in your vicinity AND the frequencies match (not every RX will have a close enough match)

It would be nice if others can confirm.

Salim
Old 02-03-14, 11:03 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
It has happened 4 or 5 times to me. I had to insert my key in the door and it would reset even if I tried to lock. imho it depends if other owner tries to unlock in your vicinity AND the frequencies match (not every RX will have a close enough match)

It would be nice if others can confirm.

Salim
Ahh, good to know that it does in fact work.

We weren't all trying to unlock at the same time so that may explain it.
Old 02-05-14, 07:06 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I realize your situation is now resolved, but I ran across this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8242349-post19.html

I don't know how accurate that post is, but if anyone is in the same situation as you were maybe they can try contacting corporate beforehand.
Old 02-06-14, 02:44 AM
Z07
Driver

It is true still as of December last year when I checked into it. Total cost for me would have been $650 at my local dealer. The dealer isn't the final say on who gets a free ECM but they can start the process with corporate. In reading up on the matter some people were of the opinion that the owners should contact Lexus USA directly bypassing the dealer for a higher chance of getting the ECM for free.