RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Master key work around

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-13, 08:09 PM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master key work around

Well I drove an hour and a half two get two keys cut and hopefully programmed for my 2003 that we recently bought that only came with a valet key. After trying for a short while he came back in and told me they could not program. This is very rare he told me.
I had a feeling me idea would work and it did. Being very cold I in northern Minnesota I had a remote start installed right after I got the car.
So here's the work around; start the car with the remote, put the unprogramed key in and turn to run and drive away lol
Old 12-20-13, 09:20 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Can you shed some light on the remote starter?

Is the imobilizer disabled? Or a registered key-magnet is placed near the sensor?

The procedure you stated, should work with the flat key (one without any magnet).

Salim
Old 12-21-13, 05:11 AM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Can you shed some light on the remote starter?

Is the imobilizer disabled? Or a registered key-magnet is placed near the sensor?

The procedure you stated, should work with the flat key (one without any magnet).

Salim
I had it installed, I will check and let you know more. But I'm thinking the imobilizer is disabled on start?
Old 12-21-13, 05:49 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MovieStar
So here's the work around; start the car with the remote, put the unprogramed key in and turn to run and drive away lol
I must be missing the point of this workaround. What is the point in using the key after the car has been started and already running?
Old 12-21-13, 06:21 AM
mshumack
Driver

I don't have a remote start - but I assume you need the key to unlock the steering column and move the shifter lever.
Do all the accessories (radio, etc.) still work after the car is started and without the key being inserted? Such as if you remote start, and a passenger is in the car - can they listen to the radio or turn on the AC without the key?
Old 12-23-13, 07:19 AM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mshumack
I don't have a remote start - but I assume you need the key to unlock the steering column and move the shifter lever.
Do all the accessories (radio, etc.) still work after the car is started and without the key being inserted? Such as if you remote start, and a passenger is in the car - can they listen to the radio or turn on the AC without the key?
Yes everything works. When started with the remote start and no key in the ignition.
Old 12-23-13, 02:52 PM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

A remote start will only start the car, if you put your foot on the brake wothout the key in the ignition the car dies. They are very handy for thawing out your windshield and warming up the inside before you get there, or in a hot place cooling it off before you get there. I have three cars with them and I love them.

in my M3 I had to provide a key so they could get the chip out of it and wire it in to fool the car into thinking the key is there. On other cars they have a box that simualtes the chip and sends the correct signal.

I don't know how the RX is wired up (mine came with a remote start) but if a master was sacrificed to wire it up perhaps you could salvage the chip out of it to program new keys. If they sacraficed a valet key, or used one of the boxes that fool the system without using a key then I guess there isn't anything you can do exept what you are already doing.
Old 12-23-13, 07:12 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Here's an interesting post I came across on the ES section: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8294113-post3.html
Old 12-23-13, 09:41 PM
salimshah

Indeed interesting, but 2002+ for ES.

Salim
Old 12-24-13, 06:43 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Indeed interesting, but 2002+ for ES.

Salim
Yeah, i assume this would be applicable to RX's starting in 2004. But, just a theory.

Just glad that Toyota made a change to the ECU to allow for this.
Old 12-30-13, 10:21 AM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hypervish
Here's an interesting post I came across on the ES section: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8294113-post3.html
This is the reason of this thread. He has gotten by a lot cheaper then what I have been checking into. It sounds like every dealer is a little different as well as the locksmith. I paid 100.00 for two keys to be cut. they claimed that they could have programed them as well until I got there. It was close to closing time and sure the process was a little more them what they wanted to do.

They also claimed they would have cloned the chip but for some reason they could not and offered to sell me another valet key for 100.00

I didn't want the master key for the purpose of locking and unlocking different locks just for the keyless entry and such.

The remote starts now days come as some of you say either with a registered key inline or with a immobilizer bypass. The installer dances around the question about what he exactly did so I checked out the manufacture web page and see they have the bypass. The car auto locks after a set period of time which the remote start button will unlock the drivers door.
Old 01-04-14, 02:44 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this issue with a 1999 Lexus RX300. I was told by a lexus dealer that the ECU "Has to be replaced"....I called "BS", I called a few locksmith and they just open the ECU, do a manual reset of the memory for the key, like the car just came out of the factory, then program a new master key from scratch. Locksmith charged something like $100 for a master key and program. This was 5 years ago! Not every locksmith can do this so take out the phone book and start calling each one! Hope this helps others with this issue in the future!
Old 01-04-14, 03:49 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
I had this issue with a 1999 Lexus RX300. I was told by a lexus dealer that the ECU "Has to be replaced"....I called "BS", I called a few locksmith and they just open the ECU, do a manual reset of the memory for the key, like the car just came out of the factory, then program a new master key from scratch. Locksmith charged something like $100 for a master key and program. This was 5 years ago! Not every locksmith can do this so take out the phone book and start calling each one! Hope this helps others with this issue in the future!
Do have the name/number of the locksmith you used?
or the steps required to reset the ECU.

Salim
Old 01-06-14, 09:21 PM
salimshah

I picked up a gem from GS Forum ..

If a valet key is inserted in the ignition, the security light momentarily comes on and if you use the Master key, the light does not turn on.

Can any one confirm?

Salim
Old 01-14-14, 05:06 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do have the name/number of the locksmith you used?
or the steps required to reset the ECU.

Salim
I no longer have the contact info for the locksmith that was used. I grabbed the phone book and started with the first one. Many told me it couldn't be done. Only a handful could and from that handful I picked the best price. I wish I had more info.

Quick Reply: Master key work around