RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

need second key; can I find my "key code" somewhere?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-13, 12:25 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I almost bought one like that once, but I caught the mistake just in time. I was concerned that it wouldn't be compatible somehow, but I never really found out the answer. I am hoping someone who reads this will know!
Old 09-29-15, 06:04 AM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So is there or is there not a way to retrieve a lost key code ?
Old 09-29-15, 12:18 PM
hrod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key code retrieval

I just went through this ordeal. After going to the local dealer in Colorado Springs and showing proof of ownership they reluctantly processed my request for the key code. I had to request it in writing and a few days later I got a call and had to go to the dealership again to receive the code in writing. Seems a bit of a security overkill to me but that was the process.

I have since learned that for years Toyota has put the 5 digit key code stamped on the passenger door lock housing. Of course you have to disassemble the inner door to get to it but if I would have struck out with the dealer that was my next move.

Having only one master key with this vehicle I was determined to get the code and get another master made. This car is for my daughter and as I've read here, losing the only master is catastrophic. Now armed with the key code I'm trying to find a reasonably priced new OEM master with programming instructions and get the shank cut all in one stop. So far, I haven't found that.

hrod
2000 RX300
Old 12-16-15, 01:56 PM
nanomatrix
10th Gear

Apparently Lexus dealers have had a change in policy last year and no longer give out keycodes. According to the service manger here in Portland there was a problem with some dealers on the east coast giving out keycodes without proper identification.
So it you don't have the wallet key the only way to find your keycode is to remove the passenger door lock cylinder.

Edit: Our original dealer in SF is still willing to give us the keycode if we drive the car to them. So the Portland dealer's claim about this policy change does not seem to be as universal as they said.

Last edited by nanomatrix; 12-16-15 at 03:28 PM. Reason: New info
Old 12-24-15, 05:04 PM
Fritz330
Pole Position

FWIW, you can order a machine to cut Lexus keys from China for about 200 bucks. You can also order a programmer that will program the transponder for about 90 bucks. They both work perfectly. As far as I know, the only way to program the remote is to follow the directions which is a royal PITA. My second key is 100% homemade and I can make more any time I want. And of course I can cut and program keys for others for a fee (local only).
Old 12-24-15, 09:02 PM
Pzindy
Rookie

My 99 RX300 came with one master key and 1 valet key. The valet key ring has a small metal tag with a 5 digit number stamped on it.

Is that 5 digit number likely my key code?
Old 12-24-15, 09:08 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 242 Likes on 204 Posts

My key code is 5 digits.
Old 12-25-15, 06:30 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Pzindy
My 99 RX300 came with one master key and 1 valet key. The valet key ring has a small metal tag with a 5 digit number stamped on it.

Is that 5 digit number likely my key code?
Yes, that's your key code. Of course, assuming that the lock's have not been changed at some point, which is unlikely.
Old 07-13-17, 02:12 PM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I decided to get rid of the '99 RX300 and get a 2006 RX330. Similar enough but a step up with navigation and Bluetooth. I know that's another forum but I have a similar key challenge. I was given a non-remote key (valet?) and a broken remote with a dead battery. After replacing the battery it does lock and unlock, so I ordered a new shell on eBay. The seller listed the 2006 RX330 as compatible but it has a short, 38mm blade and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that will work (the valet key looks 2-3mm longer).

I found another online key seller with a shell for $10 and a $20 cutting fee, requiring key code. I haven't found any metal tags with numbers but there's a sticker on the leather owners's manual case with a 5 digit number that follows an "L", and that's above a barcode with my VIN below. Might that be my key code?
Old 07-17-17, 09:15 AM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Originally Posted by djeddieo
I decided to get rid of the '99 RX300 and get a 2006 RX330. Similar enough but a step up with navigation and Bluetooth. I know that's another forum but I have a similar key challenge. I was given a non-remote key (valet?) and a broken remote with a dead battery. After replacing the battery it does lock and unlock, so I ordered a new shell on eBay. The seller listed the 2006 RX330 as compatible but it has a short, 38mm blade and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that will work (the valet key looks 2-3mm longer).

I found another online key seller with a shell for $10 and a $20 cutting fee, requiring key code. I haven't found any metal tags with numbers but there's a sticker on the leather owners's manual case with a 5 digit number that follows an "L", and that's above a barcode with my VIN below. Might that be my key code?
I learned the hard way to never buy an after market key. I have a drawer full of them. Most do not work in spite of being advertised as compatible. The only keys that have worked for me are genuine Toyota keys.
Also, avoid the switchblade keys, They are junk even if you do manage to get one to work.
The following users liked this post:
dta20502 (09-22-22)
Old 07-17-17, 09:53 AM
salimshah

Received 1,008 Likes on 911 Posts

the key code gets you the right blade and the proper grooves to lock/unlock.

Registering a key to run the car is altogether different issue.

Salim
Old 07-17-17, 01:15 PM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz330
I learned the hard way to never buy an after market key. I have a drawer full of them. Most do not work in spite of being advertised as compatible. The only keys that have worked for me are genuine Toyota keys.
Also, avoid the switchblade keys, They are junk even if you do manage to get one to work.
lol, I learned the last time and forgot!! There's one key seller on eBay, 1010keys, that's worth using. They'll cut a key from a photo for about $25. Their switchblade keys work fine but they're massive so I never used them. The remote I got seems to work, though "panic" unlocks the doors.
Old 03-09-18, 08:44 AM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Retrieving key code

The key code is stamped on the driver side door lock. Just remove the lock cylinder, one bolt and it is off. I purchased an RX330 recently with only one master key. I removed the lock cylinder and there it was stamped on the lock cylinder. For Lexus RX the code begins with a "4" Although the link is for a Toyota it will work for a Lexus. Afterward, I purchased a USB OBD2 cable from Amazon, which also included a copy of Techstream to program the immobilizer and key Fob.
The following 3 users liked this post by Audiqv8:
Fritz330 (03-13-18), ne0tekk (04-13-18), wmj259 (07-02-18)
Old 06-29-19, 05:13 PM
JosiM
Driver School Candidate

Can you list the name or link from the Ebay company you used to have your key cut? Thanks.
Old 06-30-19, 11:01 PM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JosiM
Can you list the name or link from the Ebay company you used to have your key cut? Thanks.
Like many, I use the seller 1010keys on eBay.
The following users liked this post:
JosiM (07-07-19)

Quick Reply: need second key; can I find my "key code" somewhere?