RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

need second key; can I find my "key code" somewhere?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-13, 07:42 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default need second key; can I find my "key code" somewhere?

I've searched and found lots of threads about getting and programming a key, and I find websites that will send the key "pre-cut" if I supply the key code. Where do I find that?
Old 06-17-13, 08:37 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In order to program a master key (the one that has the buttons of it), you NEED a master key - hopefully when you bought that car, you got one of those, and not a vallet key.

I've ordered a few keys on-line - the guy I ordered from on-line would simply work off of a picture - I sent him a photo, and then found out that you could get your key code by going to a local Lexus dealership, which I did.

When I got the code, I e-mailed the person whom I was buying the key from, and asked him if he needed the code - he told me nope, as long as it is such-and-such (which it was).

I would suggest that if you head into a local Lexus dealership (there are at least 5 of them in MA) & get the code, that you keep it somewhere for future reference.

Good luck!
Old 06-17-13, 11:17 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Thanks; yeah, the one key I got with the car does everything so it must be the master. I just don't trust my daughter not to lose it. Having just spent about $300 for a key for my Mercedes, $125 for this key online doesn't sound so bad, plus $30 to cut it.
Old 06-17-13, 07:58 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I recently picked up two custom-cut keys on eBay for under $30 (f0r the two) using the key code I got from my Lexus dealer (you'll need to show them proof of ownership for them to give it to you), then bought a couple of used master keys for $50-70 each on eBay, transferred the electronic "guts" to the new keys, and programmed them myself. I was completely unfamiliar with this until now. It's surprisingly easy and surprisingly inexpensive!
Old 06-18-13, 02:47 PM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by trhs75
I recently picked up two custom-cut keys on eBay for under $30 (f0r the two) using the key code I got from my Lexus dealer (you'll need to show them proof of ownership for them to give it to you), then bought a couple of used master keys for $50-70 each on eBay, transferred the electronic "guts" to the new keys, and programmed them myself. I was completely unfamiliar with this until now. It's surprisingly easy and surprisingly inexpensive!
WOW! (I've got to figure out how to change my notification settings on this forum, BTW). Can you PM me the eBay seller for the cut keys?

Last edited by djeddieo; 06-18-13 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-18-13, 04:57 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

The cut keys that I bought were from a seller named Rocket Keys - this was a few years ago.

He didn't sell the whole key with the electronics, but as suggested, pick up a used key on eBay that has the electronics & swap it.

The RX300 keys are very susceptible to breaking (the shell cracks), so the first two keys that I ordered were to replace the two broken ones (swapped out the electronics). I later ordered two more shells & got a used key, and a brand new, still sealed electronics off of eBay. Yup - 4 master keys total.

The RX can store 7 keys for the ignition (including vallet) & 4 for the remote.

Have never had a problem with any of the replacement shells (mine are all light red) - and almost always get asked where I got it when I get work done on my RX

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 06-19-13, 04:32 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DanDevoe

The RX can store 7 keys for the ignition (including valet) & 4 for the remote.
hey Dan, what will the valet key NOT do, and where in MA are you, BTW?

Last edited by djeddieo; 06-19-13 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-19-13, 05:54 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

The valley key cannot be used to program other keys, and cannot be used to open the glove box.

I grew up in Salem, but now live around 15 miles south of Boston.
Old 06-19-13, 05:43 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

I got mine at remotez4less.com, advertised on eBay. I have no connection with them other than finding their listing and ordering the keys. You can get black (the usual color) for the housing, or pink which I got for my daughters.
Old 06-19-13, 05:51 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

For an RX300, make sure the FCC ID on a remote is the correct one. It's molded into the original Lexus key housing, and I believe it is N14TMTX-1. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Short key, of course, not the long one like my wife's GX had.

Last edited by trhs75; 06-19-13 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-20-13, 06:21 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DanDevoe
I grew up in Salem, but now live around 15 miles south of Boston.
I'm in Milton.
I got mine at remotez4less.com, advertised on eBay.
They appear to not offer cutting of the keys.
For an RX300, make sure the FCC ID on a remote is the correct one. It's molded into the original Lexus key housing, and I believe it is N14TMTX-1. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Short key, of course, not the long one like my wife's GX had.
I'm kinda leaning toward THESE NEW, "SWITCHBLADE STYLE" KEYS.....
Old 06-20-13, 05:11 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

$25.76 included two keys, shipping, and cutting from remotez4less. You're right, though; those switchblade ones are cool!
Old 06-26-13, 01:54 PM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Edit ...

Okay, I just won a used key on eBay for $45 and bought the 2 "switchblade style" new keys for $47 cut to code (with photo confirmation!) \

snip ...

Edit

I have moved this post to another .. more appropriate thread. That thread is more appropriate for programming discussion.
Here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...for-99-rx.html

Please try to keep the threads orderly.

Salim

additional Edit....

He didn't "move" my thread; he DELETED it, and I still need help with the programming in case anyone cares to join me OVER THERE.....

Last edited by djeddieo; 07-01-13 at 04:01 AM. Reason: additional Edit....
Old 06-26-13, 02:17 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

The next part confuses me for some reason, so I'm asking for confirmation I've got it right. I want "Add Mode," I assume, so that the single key I got with the car and the new key I'm programming will both work.
Under most circumstances, yes...

The door locks can recognize only 4 remotes. If a 5th gets programmed, the 1st gets "pushed out". If a 6th gets programmed, the 2nd gets "pushed out", etc.

All RX300's (to my knowledge) originally came with 2 master keys. If over time, 2 more were added (giving you 4), and your car was sold to you with only 1 - and your master key was the first one recorded for the door locks, then adding another one will "push it out". Don't worry - you can add it back if this does happen...

If you end up losing a key, you may want to "wipe out" the door lock remotes & reprogram, in case someone finds the lost key.
Old 06-29-13, 10:19 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

okay, I got the key programmed so it starts the car, but haven't been able to get the remote to work. It then occurs to me that I'm only now noticing that the 3-button remote I bought is configured differently than our existing key.

Name:  utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwNjI5LTAwNjM4LmpwZw_zps34f36285.jpg
Views: 10665
Size:  68.4 KB

See how "Panic" is at the top in the center key, my new one, while it's lower right in the original key on the right? Could that be a problem?

Quick Reply: need second key; can I find my "key code" somewhere?