RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

P0330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 09:27 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I assume you have removed the hack. I will not get into the potential side effects of the hack (my shortcoming).
The other unknown is quality of the product you used. They can be OEM but may be defective.

At this stage, you may like to solicit help from some one who can do live monitoring of the data and has the knowhow to interpret the live data.

I am stumped.

Salim

Old 07-23-18, 05:35 AM
Steelfan
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just wanted to follow up on my KS saga:

The shop undid the "hack" and reconnected everything back proper and re-checked continuity of all wiring. They checked from the sub-harness connector back to the ECU first then tore down again and checked the sub-harness to the KS's and then across the connector there. All good. They then returned the previous two new KS's to the dealer and got new ones, installed them, buttoned everything back up and I picked the car up on Saturday. Have almost 90 miles total on it right now b/w the shop and me driving it and no codes, so far.

I am cautiously optimistic.

And yes, the original two new sensors were OEM from the dealer. I saw the receipt. Luckily the shop was able to just swap the sensors @ the dealer as these parts aren't typically returnable.

I guess even OEM parts can be bad, either @ delivery or damaged during install. I think my car's top side was torn down a total of 5 or 6 times during this ordeal.
Old 09-07-18, 06:58 PM
dput8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info for the hack. I did it about 8 months ago and it worked great..... until the other knock sensor started acting up. The hack bought me some time, plus now instead of taking the top end of the engine apart to replace one, I will be replacing both. Guess I got my money's worth now that both are bad. The hack can buy some time, but it is a great diagnostic option for no money and just a little work.
Old 09-12-18, 06:37 AM
jmjpro
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation 2004 RX330 Hack

I have gone thru all 14 pages of this thread hoping to find the answer, but could not. I have a 2004 RX330 and am looking for the hack for this. I found one picture explanation online where the wires are in the second bank from the bottom with black and red wires. I cut those and reconnected as pictured but the code is still present. Obviously these were the wrong wires. Can someone who has done this hack on an 2nd gen assist me? Attached is the photo that I used for my wiring. Obviously it is wrong.

Old 09-15-18, 12:18 PM
bleit
Driver School Candidate

Default 99 lexus p0330

Hello all,
Just joined and just got this code on my 99 es300. finding the answers I need, I can fix this myself but not for a week or two so wondered if there was an issue driving it, seems like I may just need to reset the code when it appears or try the quick fix by splicing one into the other. (brilliant) Also I noticed the sensors are like $180 at autozone but fonud both sensors plus harness on ebay for $60, I've had better luck with parts off ebay than I have with parts from autozone so will probably order online,,,,,,,I don't have the manual for this car yet and found a link to procedure in here somewhere but link did not work. is there one around that shows general procedure?
Appreciate your time!
Old 09-16-18, 11:39 AM
bleit
Driver School Candidate

Hi, Im trying this quick fix on my lexus, can't load the picture to look closer, any chance you could forward me the detail?
Old 09-29-18, 07:01 PM
bleit
Driver School Candidate

I put this quick temp fix into play a couple weeks ago while waiting for parts to replace the sensors, works good except I'm getting a VVT (variable valve timing code now about every ten miles, resetting with reader solves but always comes back. also in my 99 es300 the clear wire was ajacent to another clear wire not a black wire... double checked location and it's correct two wires, one of the clear wires has a black band on it..... anyway now have intake all removed and will be reassembling tmw as long as I can find the proper bypass hose. noticed the thermostat housing has signs of leakage is this repair doable after all assembled without major issue?
Old 10-01-18, 05:43 PM
drgratz
Driver School Candidate

Default It was. Bit if it doesn't work for you......

Another solution is to buy a pair of knock sensors and harness ($50 Denso on eBay) and splice them in right at the computer. Cut the black and clear wire 1" from the harness and splice in the new knock sensors with harness directly to the computer ignoring the old wires coming from the original knock sensors. Then tie up the knock sensors out of the way. I guarantee they will never fail :-)
Originally Posted by Bobster999
This is for the people that don't want to pay big money to replace a bad knock sensor. I got the dreaded P0330 code saying the #2 knock sensor circuit was bad. I was driving 46 miles each way to work and had to stop and reset the light before I could there because she went in limp mode and I would lose overdrive. I just had to remove all of the same stuff to replace my leaking valve covers just a couple of months ago. I did not want to do that again. The ecu is looking for a small voltage between a set range to decide if that is normal and won't throw a code as long as it sees that voltage for each sensor. So I decided that since there are 2 sensors, and only one is bad right now, I will just feed both sensors from the good #1 bank sensor and the ecu will be happy. So i cut the wire feeding the #2 sensor and spliced it into the #1 sensor at the ECU. Anyway, it took me 15 mins and NO money to fix it. She drives as good as ever and no more CHECK ENGINE LITE. Im not telling anyone to do it, im just telling you what i did so you do what you will or won't. Don't Hate!
Old 03-25-19, 11:03 AM
akarros
Driver School Candidate

YEs. Second connector from the bottom. The top left black wire is from Knock Sensor #1. The White Wire is from Knock Sensor #2.
Old 03-25-19, 11:07 AM
akarros
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LanceLink
I seek the same answer, if anyone can help. Thanks!
I am new to this forum. Sorry, because I posted a replay but not sure if it was linked to the original question with the photo. Yes, the second connector from the bottom. The top left two pins BLACK comes from KS#1 and WHITE comes from KD#2. Good lukc
Old 03-28-19, 05:01 PM
10acimport
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been driving this RX300 on the backroads for over a month.
THANK YOU ,, you're a genius
Old 05-03-19, 11:15 AM
AZLIGHTS
Driver School Candidate

I just did this hack thanks . I actually had both codes P0325 and P0330 . Changed out both sensors and harness (took me 2 days) and still had P0325 . i finally did this hack and now i have overdrive back .
99 rx300 . the white wire is p0325 and the black one is P0330 . I changed the sparks plugs as well while i had everything apart .
Old 05-23-19, 11:58 AM
Swendrick
Driver School Candidate

Bob,

if you could send me the instructions for this or something that would be helpful
Old 05-24-19, 04:12 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Swendrick
Bob,

if you could send me the instructions for this or something that would be helpful
Instructions for the hack are in this thread. Instructions for changing the knock sensors are in the stickies.
Old 06-03-19, 05:05 PM
DTLeft
Driver School Candidate

Question youtubeing it.

Would it be possible for someone to record the splicing from start to finish and put it on Youtube for us goofy types? Unless you know if it's already on there.

Quick Reply: P0330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair...