RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

P0330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-19, 09:32 AM
Es300R
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0330

Hey everybody I'm new to the group i have replaced the knock sensors and the same code is still coming up i went to look for the wires mine has a black and yellow wire and two clear ones one has a red tape around one of the clear ones confused the heck out of me figured I'd ask before doing the wrong thing
Help would be appreciated this code is getting on my nerves lol.
Old 07-25-19, 10:05 AM
akarros
Driver School Candidate

Default replaced?

What model and year?

Also, did you pay someone for the replacement? Did they replace the harness?

If so, they should make you whole.

The hack requires at least one functioning sensor.

Did you replace with OEM parts?
Old 07-25-19, 07:27 PM
Es300R
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by akarros
What model and year?

Also, did you pay someone for the replacement? Did they replace the harness?

If so, they should make you whole.

The hack requires at least one functioning sensor.

Did you replace with OEM parts?
Thank you for answering the year is 99 es300 have about 170k car was fine until i get that p0330 bank 2 circuit 2 i did the job myself all the gaskets ....near me there's advance auto parts that's where i purchased the knock sensors (still kept the ones that were in there) changed the harness as well and still the code refuses to go away i started to think something else my be wrong why is it bank two only when they are the same exact sensor i would think if both of them came on i would say ok there may be a defect somewhere but new sensors and bank 1 didn't come up at all i have reset the battery checked the ecu car runs great just a barely notice any hesitation i have some time until my next inspection but it shouldn't be this hard to get rid of a code specifically the time it takes to get to it...reality is i might have to take it apart again smh.
Old 07-25-19, 08:20 PM
akarros
Driver School Candidate

Did you clear the code and it came back?

Are you getting transmission symptoms or just the code?
Old 07-25-19, 10:26 PM
Es300R
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by akarros
Did you clear the code and it came back?

Are you getting transmission symptoms or just the code?
Yes i have about 4 times now difference is it would take a few miles now it come back 4 to 5 mins after i reset it and no car runs great sometimes i have to take my feet of the gas because she goes no other symptoms which is weird i would get a lil hesitation here and there bit i would have my ac on full blast from a red light to drive off might hesitate for 3 seconds then takes off
Old 07-30-19, 08:39 PM
Avogel
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsteini

A+ for your work. How does one determine which sensor is bad?
The following 2 users liked this post by Avogel:
Margate330 (03-02-20), RXy (08-29-23)
Old 07-31-19, 12:25 PM
Es300R
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Avogel
A+ for your work. How does one determine which sensor is bad?
Thank you for the pictures i did find two wires when i took mine apart except both wires were clear with one of them having a color tape around it that's what confused me.
Old 07-31-19, 01:12 PM
akarros
Driver School Candidate

Default which model Lexus

These pictures are for an RX. Your Lexus may have a different connector schematic. once you know the schematic for your vehicle, you can jump out the sensor indicated by the fault code
Old 09-23-19, 10:55 AM
spaldingcl
Driver School Candidate

so if my bank 2 sensor is bad on my 2000 ES300, then I'd splice the clear with red tape onto the other clear without tape?
Old 03-02-20, 09:29 AM
Gardek
Driver School Candidate

Default P0330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair.

Originally Posted by Bobster999
Its really very simple, if you have one bad and one good sensor circuit, and you essentially cut out the bad circuit and utilize ( by piggybacking ) the good circuit, and your connections are solid then I am unable to see how it wont work for you or anyone else. Its really very simplistic.
Yes, definitely it has to have one good sensor. Wire splicing won't work if both sensors are bad. In my case I have one good one left. But instead of cutting wires I removed small amount of wire cover to each wire adjacent to each other. Then using a fine copper wire, I wrapped them together. Be sure their wires are touching each other. Then I checked their continuity at the pins connector. I did this process because I'm planning to replace both sensors when warm weather comes. I already bought OEM sensors and wire connector from Ebay. Surprisingly I only paid about $25 for these parts made by Denso. By the way, my 2002 RX300 Lexus with 270,000 miles are back running pretty good and hopefully the old good sensor will last until I replace both of them.
Old 03-02-20, 03:29 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Gardek
I already bought OEM sensors and wire connector from Ebay. Surprisingly I only paid about $25 for these parts made by Denso..
I highly doubt these are real deal Denso's.
So many fakes out there especially on ebay.
Dont let the "Toyota/Lexus" box fool you.
Then there's that saying,
"You get what you paid for"

A job like this should only be done once.
Be careful out there.
Old 03-02-20, 05:03 PM
Gardek
Driver School Candidate

Default PO330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair

Originally Posted by Nad1370
I highly doubt these are real deal Denso's.
So many fakes out there especially on ebay.
Dont let the "Toyota/Lexus" box fool you.
Then there's that saying,
"You get what you paid for"

A job like this should only be done once.
Be careful out there.
The name Denso is molded on the face. See picture attached. Hope this is genuine, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the warning.

Old 03-04-20, 02:07 PM
Broc
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, sorry to go another direction, but it seems to me there could be multiple failure points ... Sensors, sub-harnesses, connectors with a bit of corrosion, faulty wire crimps, etc.

So to further simplify this testing, as I understand this from reading here, the ECU sends out a 5v signal and expects a smaller return voltage?

If it comes back as 5v, you have a wiring issue. If it comes back as 0v, you have a bad sensor.

What is the ideal voltage for the ECU to be truly happy?

What is the resistance range for the Knock Sensors (a good OEM Lexus unit)?

Could we test sensors resistance prior to installing to see if they are OEM or fakes?
Old 03-04-20, 03:11 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

^^^
i see what youre saying.
All of those you mentioned are possible causes.
But, thats the nature on the 1MZ.
It eats knock sensors, af’s, ign coils, OCV’s door lock actuators, ect...
So when an issue of any of the above comes up, 9/10 times it will be a failed component.

I actually did the knock sensor hack last Dec on my buddys 03 so he can pass emmisions.
Old 03-07-20, 07:14 AM
salimshah

Received 1,001 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Broc
OK, sorry to go another direction, but it seems to me there could be multiple failure points ... Sensors, sub-harnesses, connectors with a bit of corrosion, faulty wire crimps, etc.

So to further simplify this testing, as I understand this from reading here, the ECU sends out a 5v signal and expects a smaller return voltage?

If it comes back as 5v, you have a wiring issue. If it comes back as 0v, you have a bad sensor.

What is the ideal voltage for the ECU to be truly happy?

What is the resistance range for the Knock Sensors (a good OEM Lexus unit)?

Could we test sensors resistance prior to installing to see if they are OEM or fakes?
My understanding is that the sensor sends out electrical signal like a microphone [based on oscilloscope screen shots]. Without getting too technical, the sensor is not a DC resistance that you can measure or check against a reference voltage. Although it is an electromechanical device, so it will exhibit resistance.

My 2c .. if you have about 150k miles and the code pops up, most likely the sensor has reached end of life. Since labor outweighs all other expense, dont cut corners.

Note: Standard disclaimers about the hack apply!

Salim

Quick Reply: P0330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair...