RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

First Gen Rx 300 ......Overpriced Junk !

Old 01-29-13, 07:52 PM
RenoJeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Gen Rx 300 ......Overpriced Junk !

I'll admit it - wish I'd never bought this pile of crap.

What a nightmare repairs are on this pseudo over engineered piece of crap.

I just spent another 1200 in parts and repairs.

look at all the little things that go wrong on these - i.e. are you kidding me the sun visor will not stay up and the cost is over 200 from the dealer.

I think yugos had better sun visors, how about the " D " light for shifting into gear. those are notorious for going out. antenna mast etc etc. the list is overwhelming

for such a high priced vehicle when new this is one of the most annoying used cars on the face of the earth.

run away from these vehicles fast if you are considering one.

I'm detailing mine and putting it up for sale.
Old 01-29-13, 08:34 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Jeff-- I am so sorry. Some things aren't too hard or expensive to fix, like the D light and the antenna mast. I've had to do those myself. No transmission troubles yet with my daughter's '99. I like it well enough that I still would like to get another one. I've thought about something American such as an Explorer or Equinox. Parts and repairs would be cheaper, but I think they are considerably inferior to the RX300 for the money. I don't blame you for selling, though. I would be frustrated, too. Good luck -- what do you think you'll invest in next?
Old 01-29-13, 08:50 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

So how many miles and years since the vehicle has been on the road? Did you own it from the start or bought it used expecting no problems.

Salim
Old 01-30-13, 03:39 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

LOL, I find it hysterical that you think a 14 year old vehicle with 168k miles isn't going to need some TLC. You were aware of the oil leaks when you bought it (according to your first thread).
The Bad : oil leak, mechanic sez not the expensive one - already slowed down considerably since proper oil has been put in. driver side seat leather starting to seperate seems repairable at this point - need to do it soon before full blown tears. bumper paint needs attention.
Don't blame the car, if the previous owner didn't take care of it.

to me thats a lot of value for 48 hundred. I drive through the treacherous N. Nv.Washoe Valley
^ whatever happen to the great value?

It look's like your mechanic didn't do such a good job at inspecting the car.

Those problems you mentioned were minor, go look on another forum and see what problems other's are experiencing at 14 years of age, and 168k miles.

The RX has been entirely trouble-free for me, best car I've ever had the pleasure of owning. At 194k miles, it's just getting broken in.

Go buy a domestic, and see what a real overpriced piece of junk is.
Old 01-30-13, 05:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
LOL, I find it hysterical that you think a 14 year old vehicle with 168k miles isn't going to need some TLC. You were aware of the oil leaks when you bought it (according to your first thread). Don't blame the car, if the previous owner didn't take care of it.

^ whatever happen to the great value?

It look's like your mechanic didn't do such a good job at inspecting the car.

Those problems you mentioned were minor, go look on another forum and see what problems other's are experiencing at 14 years of age, and 168k miles.

The RX has been entirely trouble-free for me, best car I've ever had the pleasure of owning. At 194k miles, it's just getting broken in.

Go buy a domestic, and see what a real overpriced piece of junk is.
I'll echo these comments as I have the same age vehicle with almost the same amount of miles (166K).

Having seen many vehicles suffer worse conditions south of the border and watch the effects, I'll take my RX300. The only vehicle that would come close for me was the previous version of the 4Runner (my fiance has a 2006 one) or the Lexus GX, both of which weren't available to me when I went south of the border back in early 2002. American and even European (especially models we don't have up here), frequently saw the shop. Only nice thing was that you could get people like my uncle to fix them instead of the dealer, less $$$.
Old 01-30-13, 03:14 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sure doesn't sound like you owned from new or bought one that was kept up well. I am sorry to hear your experience with your car has not been favorable.
They are not all like that. I have to add my 2cents, that mine, an early 1999 built March 1998 with all the quirks of the newest models that didn't have all the bugs worked out doesn't have the troubles you had. My only wishes are that it had sportier handling and got more "modern" fuel economy, but otherwise it's a very good, well put-together, long-lasting car, especially for one of nearly 15 years, definately not "junk". My drivetrain, interior, etc. are like new, but I keep them that way. The leather looks great! I have been very careful to never hit anything with the antenna, and so far just cleaning the dirt has kept it operating properly. The burned out non-dimmable "D" light doesn't bother me because I drive some really dark roads, and it's a redundant display anyway. How many "D" indicators do I need, but that's picking nits, isn't it? I have had issues with a couple door lock solenoids, but one was paid for by Lexus and the car really isn't new, now is it? Other than the solenoids, most repairs and maintenence is not nearly as overpriced as other models that need much more attention.
I hope you find a better car for your money, one that you are happy with and has been well cared for. Best wishes to you.
Old 01-30-13, 03:21 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Let me go ahead and trade you our 2003 Ford Explorer Limited with 66k miles that is already having minor transmission issues, ball joints shot, rear end howling, random misfire that is almost impossible to find the source of... I could keep going. And this is a car that my grandmother bought brand new and has been meticulously maintained. So go ahead, trash the RX, but with high miles, any car will experience some issues.
Old 01-30-13, 03:25 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously, you only spent $4800? Wow, I didn't realize. I'd get a sunvisor and still smile in the visor mirror.
Old 01-30-13, 03:53 PM
RX300CE
Rookie

"The durability of product depends on user"

When you buy a used vehicle buy it from original owner ( one owner) it is very important because usually one owner they took care of a car so good, cars can run a long time with proper care.
Old 01-30-13, 10:34 PM
RenoJeff
Driver School Candidate

4500 and its yours !!! No dents ! i'll eat the nearly 3 k i've spent on it. Read my posts if you love em so much make me an offer ! I'll work with ya !

I was fooled by all the positive reviews on these vehicles and tried to make myself believe that they were worth fixing etc etc . ..... you folks are welcome to your positions... hell, have fun !!!

I on the other hand will cut and run !

enjoy your fine lexus automobile !
Old 01-31-13, 03:49 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RX is a great vehicle if you take care good. That's all.
Old 01-31-13, 10:27 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by RenoJeff
4500 and its yours !!! No dents ! i'll eat the nearly 3 k i've spent on it. Read my posts if you love em so much make me an offer ! I'll work with ya !

I was fooled by all the positive reviews on these vehicles and tried to make myself believe that they were worth fixing etc etc . ..... you folks are welcome to your positions... hell, have fun !!!

I on the other hand will cut and run !

enjoy your fine lexus automobile !
It seems your posts are in multiple threads.

It seems your investment in your RX is about 7.5K and now you want out for about 4.5k. When I look at those numbers, I can understand your point of view. A learning lesson that has cost you 3K, 40% of your investment.

The thing that does not make sense to me (based on your post in this thread) are the very obvious issues that an un-initiated 2nd hand car buyer would see ... visor/antenna/D-light/ripped-seat.

The question arises, why would you take the 40% loss and run? Have you discovered any hidden problem that you dont want to disclose?

On the other hand if the problems have been addressed, and the money has been spent (unrecoverable), might as well get some use out of it. Minimum target 2 years.

If you allow me to give you a different perspective ... folks who parted with 40k and have had 14yrs of service, if they have to spend say 1.5k around year 14, would still feel good about their vehicle.

Please understand that I am not trying to change your opinion, I am simply giving you the bigger picture. At the same time, nudge you and make you think that dont throw away the baby with the dirty water (hint 40% loss).

Finally, if you look at my previous posts, I always recommend that people who want used Luxury (please excuse me if I am over-reaching) vehicles, do so with open eyes. Repair can be very expensive. With so many brands available, I am sure not every vehicle is suited for all.

Warning! Salim getting on a soap box...
Used vehicle sales is a different ballgame altogether, because sellers choose not to disclose the problems and unfortunately the society suffers. We malign the used car salesmen.
end Warning!

Salim
Old 01-31-13, 06:59 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Good points, Salim!
Old 02-01-13, 09:36 AM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For people who bought it used, then may be it's a different story. But for people who bought the car new, it is not acceptable for these little things to go out of whack so quickly. The most inferior issue with this car is the door-open indicator. How stupid it is to show a light that there is a door open without indicating which one. Even a 1970 civic can specifically indicate which door is open. I have kids, and I have to often pull the car over, walk around the car to find which door was open to close it. Otherwise, everyone has to open and close each door, and if that didn't work, then pull the car over and close the hatch. What crack were they on to say 'persuit for perfection'. Not to mention many other stupd things. Take Clunking rear brakes for example, dont they know how to fix it or are they trying to rip me off for the warranty work? It took them 4 times to fix it. They spray wd40 in there and call it 'fixed'. Rear brakes have 75-80% left and they suggested me to do brake replacement work.
Old 02-01-13, 09:49 AM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The oil filter is a scum design on this car. Who is doing it from the top? or how else can you do it from the bottom? They tried to make it hard so they can eliminate diy and hope to increase the service. Little did they forget, it will take them time to do it too; unless they do lousy job that will spill oil all over your engine; or change the oil and skip the filter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Gen Rx 300 ......Overpriced Junk !