RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

1MZ-FE compatibility question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 03:31 PM
1genrxfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1MZ-FE compatibility question

Hi all, I am a noob although I have been lurking for a while. My question has probably been answered somewhere in this forum and I apologize in advance. Here is my situation. I have a 99 rx300 awd that I LOVE, with 185k on it. Long story short the oil light came on, I checked the oil level which was fine. I went ahead and changed the oil and filter just in case. Made no difference, the oil light was on afterward. I ran it for literally 1 minute before it just shut off. Went to restart it and it won't spin. I now make the brilliant assumption that the engine probably had a sludge issue and it spun a bearing or is otherwise seized. I know my way around the inside of American v8's pretty well and should have known better. Anyway, I have been looking into rebuilding or replacing the engine and that seems like a pretty pricey proposition. My mechanic friend tells me that I could probably rebuild the 540" BB under the hood of my 69 Firebird for less money and recommended getting a relatively low mileage engine out of a wreck. I haven't found many south of $2000 in the last week. Matter of fact most were in the $2500 range and a labor charge of around $1500 to install. I really don't want to sink 4k into this vehicle right now considering I bought it for about $4500 2 years ago. Anyway, I stumbled across an ad for a 1MZ-FE with VVT-i with 40k on it for 1k on Craigslist a few minutes ago and I am hoping that I may be able to use it. It came out of a Toyota. The engine itself looks the same with a different valve cover obviously. I know from lurking here and talking with used engine brokers for the past week that there is a difference between the awd and fwd versions of this engine. What are the chances that this will work? Any guidance or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 01-21-13, 04:52 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your engine problem. Welcome to ClubLexus.

I've been following this forum for over 10 years and there have been a few people who have used engines from similar vehicles. As I recall, even when things looked good at the start, they found that the mounting/support brackets were in the wrong places, but they were able to overcome this through extraordinary efforts. I don't claim to be a mechanic, only somebody who reads the forum fairly regularly.

You might consider an engine swap from a really look-alike RX, or else part it out and find another RX for $4,500, unless you are really looking for a challenge/learning experience.
Old 01-21-13, 07:25 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The engine mounts on the Highlander are different from the RX300. My neighbor ran into that problem...And what is interesting is the holes are not drilled in the block to move the mounts to the proper position...I would only look at engines from like vehicle....
Old 01-21-13, 10:36 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=thomas1;7717192]The engine mounts on the Highlander are different from the RX300. My neighbor ran into that problem...And what is interesting is the holes are not drilled in the block to move the mounts to the proper position...I would only look at engines from like vehicle....[/QUOTE

,Thomas, I'm up for a little challenge and if it were me and if I could get a Camry engine with 40K actual miles for $1k, I would definitely go for it, but that's just me. Some people are not quite as fearless (or maybe foolish) as I am. Course I'd save that $1500. too.
Old 01-22-13, 06:15 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Yea Code 58, you and I think alike, but many like my neighbor didnt want to drill into the engine block to accomodate the mounts...You and I know its not Rocket science....
Old 01-22-13, 02:59 PM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

There seems to be a lack of enthusiasts for the RX300. No real swapping info that i have found. I would love to have the 3.3L and the 5 speed trans from a second Generation in my 300. Wow what a sweet vehicle she would be. I like the body of the 300 better than the 330 but like the drivetrain better in the 330.
Old 01-22-13, 05:15 PM
1genrxfan
Driver School Candidate

Folks, thank you kindly for the responses. I am still mulling it over and am sorely tempted to go for it. The only half way decent awd engines I have found for the rx are $2500. Below is a pic of the engine.

On another topic altogether, I am hedging my bets and I went to look at another 99 rx300 today with 104k on it (carfax verified). Anyway, the vehicle seemed to run and drive very nicely but one thing I did notice was that instead of the usual side by side seat warmer buttons, this vehicle seemed to have one button on the left side that I believe controlled both seats. Has anybody else ever seen this? I never have and I have been in at least 20 rx300s.
Attached Thumbnails 1MZ-FE compatibility question-1mz-fe.jpg  

Last edited by 1genrxfan; 01-22-13 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-22-13, 09:21 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this engine from RX or Highlander? Yes some older RX's has one heater button but you could upgrade to two.
Old 01-22-13, 11:10 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thomas1
Yea Code 58, you and I think alike, but many like my neighbor didnt want to drill into the engine block to accomodate the mounts...You and I know its not Rocket science....
Thomas, since he (neighbor) had paid for a rebuilt engine (supposedly the correct one), I don't blame him for not wanting to do that. IF he was only paying $1000. for it. I would have been tempted to bring out the drill. Obviously that was not the case. Aluminum would have been easier to drill than steel.
Old 01-23-13, 03:47 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Look's like that engine is either from a Sienna or Camry based on the engine cover, and the location of the radiator cap. Also only has a single throttle body.

Have you checked for used engines on www.car-part.com.

Last edited by hypervish; 01-23-13 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-23-13, 08:47 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Also the RX 300 motor has a duel throttle body intake. The Highlander and Sienna does not.
Old 01-23-13, 02:15 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by code58
Thomas, since he (neighbor) had paid for a rebuilt engine (supposedly the correct one), I don't blame him for not wanting to do that. IF he was only paying $1000. for it. I would have been tempted to bring out the drill. Obviously that was not the case. Aluminum would have been easier to drill than steel.
He actually got disgusted and he and I rebuilt his original engine....Quite interesting and successful....
Old 01-23-13, 03:15 PM
1genrxfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gazi001
Is this engine from RX or Highlander? Yes some older RX's has one heater button but you could upgrade to two.
Not sure what it's from but it was definitely a Toyota.

The older RX's with the one button seat heater controls, that heats both seats right?
Old 01-24-13, 01:15 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thomas1
He actually got disgusted and he and I rebuilt his original engine....Quite interesting and successful....
He was probably better off I'm sure. I have never had strong faith in much in the "rebuilt" arena, regardless of what it is. Have you ever seen the people that do most of any rebuilding? (as in "rebuilt, out of the box") Those people are trained to do one or two things and they definitely don't make $25. an hour, more like $10. I went to install an engine in a Vega for a friend many years ago. (favor) He had ordered it from his local parts house. When I opened the plastic wrapping I observed a huge hole in the side of the block with a large aluminum plate very unceremoniously welded over it. I said "no go" and we loaded it up and took it back to the rebuilder for an exchange. it was a huge place and I don't think there was anyone in there but the forman that spoke english. I figured if we yelled "Imigration", the whole place would have emptied. Nuf said.
Old 01-24-13, 10:45 AM
1genrxfan
Driver School Candidate

Check out the heated seats switch...
Attached Thumbnails 1MZ-FE compatibility question-hs-switch.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1MZ-FE compatibility question