RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

AWD and FWD Differences

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-12, 09:25 AM
jolomo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AWD and FWD Differences

I need to replace my engine, not the transmission, on my 2001 LEXUS RX300 AWD.

I have the following questions:

1. Is there a difference between the blocks of an AWD and FWD? Some of the used engines list FWD only. I want only the engine.

2. Some of the low mileage JDM complete engines from Japan do not have the crank sensor or EGR. Is this a problem? Can those parts from my defective engine be installed on a JDM engine?

The JDM engines look very appealing because of their low mileage and cost.

I would appreciate any input. Thank You

John
Old 11-20-12, 09:50 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

PM Lexmex, he can tell you the differences.
Old 05-28-17, 04:58 AM
tim73
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How did the swap go? What type of differences did you run into?
Old 05-28-17, 07:46 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Is the question more academic or practical .. how to?

I have not come across any post that said it was done successfully.

If any one was successful, please post how and what was done to make it happen.

Salim
Old 05-28-17, 07:37 PM
tim73
Rookie

Well, I'll be doing this job in the coming weeks. Be nice to not have to reinvent the wheel.
Old 05-28-17, 09:31 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by tim73
Well, I'll be doing this job in the coming weeks. Be nice to not have to reinvent the wheel.

I think the word will be inventing.

Although you will be tempted to perform maintenance while the engine is on the blocks, but dont sink too much money till you are sure that the engine can be installed.

Salim
Old 05-29-17, 01:26 PM
tim73
Rookie

So, you're telling me, that nobody has dropped a JDM 1MX-FE into an RX300? I guess this is just surprising, as just about every JDM distributor says it is possible.
Old 05-29-17, 06:03 PM
salimshah

Everything is possible with effort, time and money.

I have not come across a success story and that does not mean it has not been done.

Salim
Old 05-30-17, 08:06 PM
trbolvr
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've replaced the engine (with JDM) in the 2002 that we still own, and a transmission on a 2000 that I flipped. The engine blocks are different between FWD and AWD. I'll try and find some pics. The difference is on the back of block where the motor mount attaches to the block. Also most JDM 1MZ-FE have a different oil pump/timing belt tensioner set up. I chose to leave the low millage oil pump and tensioner alone when I replaced the timing belt on the 2002.
AWD block. 4 mount holes in a somewhat vertical rectangle
FWD block. 4 mount holes in more of a triangle shape.
Old 05-30-17, 08:23 PM
trbolvr
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I few other bits of info. Notice the steel mount hanging out the front of the AWD engine? I left it in place and cut a small hole in the the splash shield. It works fine. If you want to remove it you have to also swap the oil pump and tensioner assembly and who knows what else.
I have a lift in my shop so it makes engine/trans replacement relatively painless. I set the whole cradle and powertrain onto a cart and lift the vehicle back up.
I can't imagine trying to do that on blocks. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
tim73 (06-05-17)
Old 06-05-17, 03:25 AM
tim73
Rookie

Originally Posted by trbolvr
I few other bits of info. Notice the steel mount hanging out the front of the AWD engine? I left it in place and cut a small hole in the the splash shield. It works fine. If you want to remove it you have to also swap the oil pump and tensioner assembly and who knows what else.
I have a lift in my shop so it makes engine/trans replacement relatively painless. I set the whole cradle and powertrain onto a cart and lift the vehicle back up.
Definitely what I was looking for. Went down last week and picked up the JDM engine. Was really hoping to not have to replace the oil pump on it. Will be a while before I can get started, but I will try to post updates. Thanks!
Old 07-03-17, 08:35 AM
tim73
Rookie

Originally Posted by trbolvr
Do you remember if you bought a standard timing belt set? Just wondering if JDM and USDM belts were identical. I am planning on leaving JDM tensioner and oil pump in. Thanks!
Old 07-07-17, 08:37 PM
tim73
Rookie

Originally Posted by tim73
Do you remember if you bought a standard timing belt set? Just wondering if JDM and USDM belts were identical. I am planning on leaving JDM tensioner and oil pump in. Thanks!
a little info on the swap. So far, I've broken the jdm down and installed new valve covers, spark plugs, and thermostat. Installing timing belt set now. Here's a tid bit I figured a lil too late. The 99 rx300 indeed has a different oil pump, timing belt tensioner and tensioning pulley.

As I ordered a timing set for a 99 rx 300, I had to transfer over the new pulley to the bracket of the old tensioner pulley. The pulleys themselves are identical. The top idler pulley is identical. The belt itself and water pump are identical. I had to buy a tensioner separate, as the one in the 99rx300 kit don't fit.

Now, here's the tip; buy an 02 Highlander timing set. all the parts are identical. The highlander and jdm share same oil pump too.

This is As far as I've gotten so far. Will update when I do more.
Old 07-22-17, 09:08 PM
tim73
Rookie

Tonight I finally finished up the jdm engine swap. Engine fired right up. Couple more things I did. I used the jdm power steering pump, but had to use all the usdm hoses, including the adaptor on the pump itself(that the low pressure hose attaches too). It's just one bolt holding it on.

i ended up removing the passenger side, manual says remove both, but I only had to remove theone. Also
found out it's almost impossible to reinstall axle unless carrier beating/engine mount bracket is attached to the engine. I tried to press it on the axle first then install axle. But there's two locator pins which wouldn't allow the bracket to bolt properly.

Also jdm engine uses a engine coolant gage sensor in the front of the engine, usdm uses one in the back(off of thermostat housing). Jdm has a plug, which I just swapped over using sensor(as this is where my wiring harness has the plug located).

I used a metabo to cut to cut off the jdm extra mount, which is part of the power steering bracket. Rx300 doesn't need it.

Another tip, install the ac compressor, alternator and belt while it's out. The jdm I bought had a damaged alternator, so I had to use my old usdm. You'll be able to attach the ac lines with the alternator installed. I wasn't sure I would be able to do I opted to install alternator after engine was installed. That was a mistake, that's an aggravating job.

Anyway took me about 30 hours to remove cradle, prep jdm(install timing belt etc) seperate the engine the install jdm engine to cradle. Then reinstall cradle in car. I don't have a lift in my shop. That would've helped. I just used two 12 ton jack stands, which gave me enough clearance to pull cradle out. I'm slow, so took about 3 week...working a few hours at a time.
Old 07-23-17, 01:10 AM
salimshah

Thank you for the update.

The things you mention that need to be installed while the engine is out, may need serving in the future. Do you think that would be an issue? Like CV joint repair or alternator/starter repair. Some of these can be simply easier to do with the engine out.

Salim

Quick Reply: AWD and FWD Differences