RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2000 RX300 has no shifting on gear shift on automatic shift lever

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-17, 03:35 PM
Jayss01
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is great...this just happened to me the other night and I immediately thought the linkage had came loose or something. Nice to see someone came up with a fix
Old 06-17-18, 02:22 PM
RRBLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Shift Cable problem

Terrific! Going to replace with a clip!! Saved me $$$. Now, where are my glasses?!!
Update - Dorman clips purchased at Advanced Auto Parts for $4.50. 1/2 hour to do it all (except for running to the parts store). Suggest you unplug the electrical items from the facade to make it easier to get to the problem. My bushing was ok, just came off the part. I greased it, put the clip on (great idea), and reassembled.

Good piece for all to know in case you get stuck in traffic, etc.

Last edited by RRBLexus; 06-17-18 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-03-19, 07:17 AM
Leevee
Driver School Candidate

Great Info! I had the same issue yesterday with my 2002 RX with 190K. I pulled into a gas station with the fuel low light on and running late for an appointment. As I pulled up to the pump I was taking my seat belt off while putting the trans in park. Luckily before I turned the key off, I realized it did not go into Park. I drove back home and took the wood bezel off to find the shifter cable was off. I called Lexus yesterday and found out the cable was $400. The bushing was shot and I needed to get back on the road. I looked for something to get me going, and found a piece of thick walled silicone tubing I had purchased to replaced vacuum lines on another car (6mm ID X 11mm OD) I wiped the grease off the pin on the shifter and pushed the tubing on to act as a temporary fix. Last night I found this informative thread. Has anyone found a specific brand or part number for a nylon fitting that matches the one in the PDF??? It looks like a push lock tube fitting with a 1/4 NPT thread , but I can't find anything that closely resembles the specs of the one in the picture.

Thanks for the help,
Old 01-03-19, 11:06 AM
RRBLexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus RX300 Shifter Problem

Have a Lexus RX300. Had the shifting problem some months ago. Tow truck dealer put it in gear, and we drove home. Took off the wood bezel off, and saw cable was off the shifter. It appeared there was some sort of keeper ring that should have been on the shifter shaft - there is a groove there for it. I went down to auto parts store and found "C" clips (actually an assortment). I found the one that fits the groove and shaft diameter (1/4" I think), put the cable back on, installed the clip, and have had no further problems.

C Clips for Lexus Shifter problem

Last edited by RRBLexus; 01-03-19 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Picture too large
Old 01-03-19, 09:37 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by RRBLexus
Have a Lexus RX300. Had the shifting problem some months ago. Tow truck dealer put it in gear, and we drove home. Took off the wood bezel off, and saw cable was off the shifter. It appeared there was some sort of keeper ring that should have been on the shifter shaft - there is a groove there for it. I went down to auto parts store and found "C" clips (actually an assortment). I found the one that fits the groove and shaft diameter (1/4" I think), put the cable back on, installed the clip, and have had no further problems.

C Clips for Lexus Shifter problem
Great that your problem is solved, but it might be worth thinking why it happened? I would check for excessive play. C clips are very god in keeping the pin in place, but if the pins rocks, the clip can give way. I would also use a magnet to see if you can fish out the old C clip as it may give you an insight into the failure.

Salim
Old 06-22-19, 04:35 PM
avidrnr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey!

You are exactly right, this is the issue that I am having. I just popped off the cover and lo' and behold, that shim is broken and missing.My question is, where can i find the piece that you mentioned is on a water filter? I can't find that piece!

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-19, 07:21 AM
salimshah

Not sure exactly what part you need, but general hardware store carriers the the "C" clip and washers. The big box stores have a drawer based storage, in the screws/nuts/bolts isle. Make sure you take your broken part to match the critical size, The critical size for the C clip would be the inside die and thickness [to firmly grab the pin and stay in the groove. Being Lexus/Toyota, try the "mm" size drawers first.

Salim
Old 06-23-19, 07:27 AM
salimshah

Just a thought, folks who have this trouble, do you have a habit of keeping the the right palm on the shifter? [US market]

I grew up with manual and my instructors taught me that the shift level should only be touched when you actually shift... while you are accelerating, you know you would need to shift again but each time the let go of the shifter completely. Racing scenes in movies always show driver holding the shifter, and can imprint a wrong behavior.

Just curious?

Salim
Old 06-23-19, 12:27 PM
avidrnr
Driver School Candidate

Default 2000 lexus rx300 diy tranny shift cable bushing re-engineer for $5, not $450

Where can i find this?
Old 06-24-19, 02:05 PM
avidrnr
Driver School Candidate

Default 2001 RX300 shifting issue

Originally Posted by Brcobrem
HI,

I pulled into a friend's driveway to drop off a CD. I didn't stop the engine, but just put it in park (automatic tranny) and put the emergency brake on. When I walked around the back of the vehicle, I noticed the reverse lights were on. So I get back in the driver's seat and I can see it's in the Park position. So I move it down out of park, then neutral and it seemed to click in there as normal, then I moved it down through the other selections, but it didn't go into any gear. It feels like the shift lever isn't conncted to anything. Now, it just moves freely all the way down and all the way back up to Park. However, it is not going into park, because it will still drift backwards.

Is this cable controlled shifter? Any ideas what broke? I crawled underneath, but see no linkage or cable from there. I have the factory manual to assist in the repair, but not home yet to review. Is this DIY fixable?

Help! Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Brcobrem

Brcobrem

Where can i find this part?

Old 06-24-19, 02:24 PM
salimshah

I dont think you will be able to get that part .. other than going through junkyards and maybe fined a not so totally abused part.

Did some one not jury-rig this part from nylon fittings?

If all fails you can go to a machinist (provided you have the broken part) and have one made. I expect it to be about $200 for the machinist labor and material.

Salim
Old 06-24-19, 03:05 PM
avidrnr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Salimshah, you are correct, it was jury-rigged! I was just looking for the part to jury-rig. Thanks again.
Old 06-27-19, 12:37 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Thinking now........is this what I have to look forward to next??
Old 06-27-19, 05:02 PM
salimshah

Take the picture to hardware or appliance store and see if they have the nylon part. Take a micrometer or calipers to confirm the size. Once you find the fitting, saw it off as shown in the picture.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 06-27-19 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-28-19, 11:00 AM
avidrnr
Driver School Candidate

Default 2000 RX300 has no shifting on gear shift on automatic shift lever

Found a solution for those that may have this issue in the future;

www.bushingfix.com

Ordered the BP1Kit and it took me all of 5 minutes to install. Not to mention, saved me $600!

The BP1K, it fits at the shifter end of your vehicle's transmission shift cable. This end will be located inside the car either under the steering column or under the center console at the base of the gear shifter. This is ONLY for automatic transmissions.
The following 2 users liked this post by avidrnr:
RX469 (07-03-19), salimshah (06-28-19)

Quick Reply: 2000 RX300 has no shifting on gear shift on automatic shift lever