RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2000 RX300 has no shifting on gear shift on automatic shift lever

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 02:58 PM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2000 RX300 has no shifting on gear shift on automatic shift lever

HI,

I pulled into a friend's driveway to drop off a CD. I didn't stop the engine, but just put it in park (automatic tranny) and put the emergency brake on. When I walked around the back of the vehicle, I noticed the reverse lights were on. So I get back in the driver's seat and I can see it's in the Park position. So I move it down out of park, then neutral and it seemed to click in there as normal, then I moved it down through the other selections, but it didn't go into any gear. It feels like the shift lever isn't conncted to anything. Now, it just moves freely all the way down and all the way back up to Park. However, it is not going into park, because it will still drift backwards.

Is this cable controlled shifter? Any ideas what broke? I crawled underneath, but see no linkage or cable from there. I have the factory manual to assist in the repair, but not home yet to review. Is this DIY fixable?

Help! Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Brcobrem

Last edited by Brcobrem; 11-02-12 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-08-13, 02:37 PM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

They say . . . "Nothing like self service" and "Better late than never".
To that end . . .

NHSTA Complaint Confirmation Number (ODI Number) 10509921 is filed.

For details, go to
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchNHTSAID
In the "Safety Issues by NHTSA ID" box, put a check in Complaints, then input 10509921, and hit the GO button.

I put the pictures mentioned in the Complaint up on Skydrive. In the Complaint I needed to use the "shortened" version of the Skydrive URL due to space limitations. Turns out that the NHSTA converts all text to uppercase when the complaint is uploaded to their database. That broke the Skydrive URL link in the Complaint.

Here is a new (non-shortened) link that works with upper or lower case:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...Du7BFRvkaumDok

As I mentioned in the complaint, it takes only minutes to do perform this critical safety corrective action (once you have fabricated the shim and bought the E-Clip). Unfortunately, I didn't know that the "U" shaped plastic wood-grain console trim could be easily removed without disassembling the entire left and right side dash and console. I have 90 detailed pics of that disassembly that took me half a day to accomplish (without breaking things). Fabricating the shim took about an hour. Since Lexus does not care sell the shim to correct their broken cable retainer (or acknowledge that there is a problem), I will be happy to sell them my fab pics and specifications upon request.

Btw, I've just uploaded a couple bonus pics for the forum to the above URL. I used some very thin cloth over that paint scraper blade to avoid scratching the finishes. In Skydrive, if you click on any of the pics, you get the enlarged version. You'll see that I used detailed filenames where you'll glean more information.

I think I recall it was Zig Ziggler who once said that a single dissatisfied customer costs you about twenty customers down the line.

Regards,
Brcobrem

Last edited by Brcobrem; 05-08-13 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-22-15, 11:09 AM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

A forum member tried to contact me 7 months ago and I totally missed that message. As restitution, please allow me attach a how-to pictorial titled "2000 Lexus RX300 Tranny Shift Cable Bushing Re-Engineer.pdf" . Perhaps this will help someone else in a more timely manner.

Regards . . .
Attached Files

Last edited by Brcobrem; 04-23-15 at 07:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brcobrem:
danski50 (02-05-23), RRBLexus (06-17-18)
Old 04-22-15, 10:42 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Brcobrem
A forum member tried to contact me 7 months ago and I totally missed that message. As restitution, please allow me attach a how-to pictorial titled "2000 Lexus RX300 Tranny Shift Cable Bushing Re-Engineer.pdf" . Perhaps this will help someone else in a more timely manner.

Regards . . .
Very nice solution and writeup! Thanks much.
Old 04-22-15, 11:06 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Nice solution.

Please keep us posted over years/months.

Also add a link in the DIY sticky to this thread.

Salim
Old 04-23-15, 07:36 AM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

Hi maxSteel and salimshah,

Thank you both for the kudos and kind words. The critical point to know here is that when that black plastic/nylon OEM bushing fails by coming into pieces, that allows the transmission shift cable to come off of the shift lever shaft. There's is no EOM E-clip or other safety measure to prevent the cable from coming completely off the shaft.

If you notice in the picture <now> titled "3 – Back out of driveway, try to put it in Drive . . .", you see that the cable's end hoop/ring, is effectively off the end of the shift lever's shaft. Had the cable mount/harness been designed to align correctly with the shaft, there would be a sloppy feel when the OEM bushing fails, but the cable would most likely remain on the shaft and functional enough to work until the proper safety upgrade could be effected. My safety upgrade was re-engineering the bushing with a better material, and the addition of a securely fastened E-clip.

I am pleased to think daily about the general high quality this vehicle. But what dumbfounds me is that as of this date, Lexus chooses to ignore this particular problem, and continues to sell a defective replacement part with a known safety issue. My only consolation on this topic is that everyone who has this problem goes to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues, click on "ID Number" near the bottom of the blue box in the middle pane, check the box for complaints, enter 10509921, review my complaint, and then file a similar complaint.

I should also mention that this job can be done in less than 1/2 hour. I unnecessarily disassembled the lower front of the interior to get to the shaft and cable hoop. In retrospect, all that was needed was to pop off the center console's faux wood grain panel. So . . . today I updated the above pdf to reflect that procedure and also added some more mm and inch dimensions to the hand made part.

Regards . . .
The following users liked this post:
samasaurus (01-15-17)
Old 04-23-15, 09:36 AM
VegasRX300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent photos and write up. You explained it so that even I could do it lol.
I don't have that problem now but might just pop off that woodgrain panel just to check it. Would hate to be on a trip and have a failure with the shifter. With my luck, it sure wouldn't happen in my driveway.
I'll lube up the sleeve if there is nothing wrong while I'm there.

Do you have other DIY write ups? If so, please post them.

Alan
Old 04-23-15, 09:49 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Indeed! this is a very good write up on this issue. I just hope I dont have that happen to me anytime soon!. I dont think it will happen anytime soon to me but then again ya just never know when it could happen.
Old 04-23-15, 09:50 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Hi maxSteel and salimshah,

Thank you both for the kudos and kind words. The critical point to know here is that when that black plastic/nylon OEM bushing fails by coming into pieces, that allows the transmission shift cable to come off of the shift lever shaft. There's is no EOM E-clip or other safety measure to prevent the cable from coming completely off the shaft.

If you notice in the picture <now> titled "3 – Back out of driveway, try to put it in Drive . . .", you see that the cable's end hoop/ring, is effectively off the end of the shift lever's shaft. Had the cable mount/harness been designed to align correctly with the shaft, there would be a sloppy feel when the OEM bushing fails, but the cable would most likely remain on the shaft and functional enough to work until the proper safety upgrade could be effected. My safety upgrade was re-engineering the bushing with a better material, and the addition of a securely fastened E-clip.

I am pleased to think daily about the general high quality this vehicle. But what dumbfounds me is that as of this date, Lexus chooses to ignore this particular problem, and continues to sell a defective replacement part with a known safety issue. My only consolation on this topic is that everyone who has this problem goes to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues, click on "ID Number" near the bottom of the blue box in the middle pane, check the box for complaints, enter 10509921, review my complaint, and then file a similar complaint.

I should also mention that this job can be done in less than 1/2 hour. I unnecessarily disassembled the lower front of the interior to get to the shaft and cable hoop. In retrospect, all that was needed was to pop off the center console's faux wood grain panel. So . . . today I updated the above pdf to reflect that procedure and also added some more mm and inch dimensions to the hand made part.

Regards . . .
what was the part number(s) that you replaced the parts with and are they oem or after market and are they of better quality?
Old 04-26-15, 06:09 PM
kantgitit7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Regards . . .
Many thanks for posting,identical to the problem that that I have with 1999 RX300 with over 200,000 miles on it
Old 04-29-15, 05:36 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
what was the part number(s) that you replaced the parts with and are they oem or after market and are they of better quality?
In his PDF write up, he stated that he used a Nylon fitting from a refrigerator water line. Not sure if it mentioned an actual part number
Old 11-07-16, 10:51 PM
TXLexus77
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I read your complaint. The same exact thing happened to me in rush hour traffic. It was a horror story. Thankfully, nice people stopped to help. I think my bushing may have cracked as well. I have a 2002 rx300. I'm going to use those pictures to show my mechanic as I hope it helps. He put the cable back on temporarily but it will pop off again. I just want it fixed so I can have my vehicle running again. Thank you for the DIY and pictures
Old 11-21-16, 10:23 AM
sosman92
Driver School Candidate

Smile

thank you so much. It was very helpful.
Old 12-16-16, 08:47 AM
Pcslots
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by matts6887
The same thing happened to my father's RX 300 last week. I pulled off the dash plate and saw the loose cable. I spoke with the parts clerk at the Lexus dealership and the bushing is part of the shifter cable and not sold separately. How very annoying that they won't sell a easily serviceable high wear part. I temporarily used a plumbing retaining clip that is commonly used to attach the bathroom sink stopper lever to the lift arm. It doesn't solve the "slop" that was created with the disintergrated bushing and required bending with pliers to secure the cable over the pin. I'll definitely do this fix for a more long term solution. This might be a Florida or hot weather issue.
Old 12-19-16, 08:10 AM
timle
Driver School Candidate

Just happened to me last night luckily it's on my driveway.

Quick Reply: 2000 RX300 has no shifting on gear shift on automatic shift lever