RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Question on antenna motor issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 07:27 AM
apalma0609
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with maxsteel, it looks good from the video. Did you notice if the new mast have same teeth direction as the old mast?
Old 05-21-12, 07:52 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I dont have a solution, but have few questions which might lead to the solution (I hope).

So what determines the limit of motor run. The video does not show that. In a bench test, I would expect the motor to run and run. The limiter would also throw the switch to swap +12v and 0.

The problem could be in the limiter ... acting too quickly.

Note: I have not opened up the antenna motor, so my knowledge is fairly limited.

Salim
Old 05-21-12, 12:09 PM
trips1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxSteel
That motor seems to be spinning fine. Gears look fine.

google "lexus body electrical BE pdf"
Antenna motor diagnostics are on page BE-205
Originally Posted by apalma0609
I agree with maxsteel, it looks good from the video. Did you notice if the new mast have same teeth direction as the old mast?
Originally Posted by salimshah
I dont have a solution, but have few questions which might lead to the solution (I hope).

So what determines the limit of motor run. The video does not show that. In a bench test, I would expect the motor to run and run. The limiter would also throw the switch to swap +12v and 0.

The problem could be in the limiter ... acting too quickly.

Note: I have not opened up the antenna motor, so my knowledge is fairly limited.

Salim
Salim is right. In the normal run motor should continue to run in the same direction for extended period of time, say 30 seconds or so (In the occasional successful run, we allowed it to run for only 25-30 seconds and then turned the radio off). Sorry that i did not capture that in the Video.

As i mentioned only about once or twice in 15-20 runs it would continue to run in same direction i.e. it would allow to finish the antenna UP or antenna down movements fully.
For all the other runs, as also seen in the video, it would only run for couple of seconds, which is not enough to finish the antenna movement.

When i started with the antenna fix, initially i thought it would be broken mast that is not allowing the complete movement. But my antenna mast was all good.
Then i thought it needs lubrication, and that also did not help. So finally when i took everything apart and connected the power i realized that the actual motor itself is not making the complete movement.
My knowledge of Electrical parts is limited and thought to check on the forum if motor is something that can be repaired or ordered separately, as the other parts are just fine.
Old 05-21-12, 02:16 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

If the OEM unit is priced high, I would look at the after-market stuff instead of trying to repair the motor alone. The non-oem would not make any difference in how your vehicle will operate. So what if it lasts 3 years and a breakdown would not leave you stranded. Your labor is free

And it may not be the motor that is bad.

Salim