RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Replacement Key Housings

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 08:06 AM
wutake
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Key Housings

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2001 RX300 that came with 2 keys. One seems to be the original, but the key is separated from the alarm/battery housing. The battery seems to be glued to one of the pieces of the casing and I haven't tried to pry it out yet. The 2nd key is a similar looking key but without the alarm. The salesman said he had it made for $75 so it could communicate with the car. Is it possible to start the car from just a regular cut key? or does it need the transponder to work?

I'm also looking to buy a new casing for the original key so I can use the stock alarm. I've been looking at two choices on eBay.

Lexus 3 button Key Shell Blade

That one looks just like my original, I'm guessing I could just take it to a locksmith with my original broken one and have him cut & replace it?

Lexus Switchblade Remote Flip Key

I am interested in this form factor just because the newer cars use it, but was wondering if it would be just as easy to cut and replace the battery/transponder onto this model type of key. Anyone tried these for there older lexus'?
Attached Thumbnails Replacement Key Housings-photo-on-2011-11-15-at-09.52.jpg   Replacement Key Housings-photo-on-2011-11-15-at-09.52-2.jpg  
Old 11-15-11, 08:15 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can buy key covers with dummy keys from ebay , http://www.sparecarkeys.com/contact_us.php or sewell lexus parts (i don't have url). Also do a search on this forum and you will come across many suggestions. I think the weakest thing Lexus made was the keys cases and then recently they changed to FOBs, really good move.
Old 11-15-11, 09:27 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

The switch-blade is after market product. OEM and its copies are like the one you are holding. I hope no one has glued the electronics in the half shell.

The cheapest way is to buy an un-cut after market and have it cut and transfer the electronics. You may have to search who can cut the key for you and dealership might refuse to cut some thing that is not OEM or something that you did not buy from them.

The electronics have remote function and the imobilizer tag and that is why it needs to be near the ignition key hole, else you will crank and crank but the vehicle would not catch on.

Salim
Old 11-15-11, 09:34 AM
wutake
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
The switch-blade is after market product. OEM and its copies are like the one you are holding. I hope no one has glued the electronics in the half shell.

The cheapest way is to buy an un-cut after market and have it cut and transfer the electronics. You may have to search who can cut the key for you and dealership might refuse to cut some thing that is not OEM or something that you did not buy from them.

The electronics have remote function and the imobilizer tag and that is why it needs to be near the ignition key hole, else you will crank and crank but the vehicle would not catch on.

Salim
I live in a small town about an hour from Austin, but make trips through and to Austin somewhat frequently. Could you suggest any local locksmiths that could cut and transfer the electronics from my original key to either of the housings? The switchblade housing from ebay I posted seems to have the buttons in the same area as my original. Looks like the swap should be pretty simple? at least for a locksmith?

So the key extra key the salesman had made does have something in it that requires ignition, would it have cost him much more extra to get one that was alarm compatible (with buttons)?
Old 11-15-11, 12:32 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by wutake
I live in a small town about an hour from Austin, but make trips through and to Austin somewhat frequently. Could you suggest any local locksmiths that could cut and transfer the electronics from my original key to either of the housings? The switchblade housing from ebay I posted seems to have the buttons in the same area as my original. Looks like the swap should be pretty simple? at least for a locksmith?

So the key extra key the salesman had made does have something in it that requires ignition, would it have cost him much more extra to get one that was alarm compatible (with buttons)?
I bought an OEM key and Lexus of Austin cut the key for me. When I tried calling locksmith, they tried to convince me that they need to program the key [I was in the same boat as you ... just cut the key]. So I can not recommend any one. Transferring the electronics is as easy as replacing the battery ... all you need is a right size screwdriver.

Sorry, I could not understand your second paragraph. The key is a key which is personalized by the humps and the cuts. The electronics part is the remote and there is a small magnetic transponder for imobilizer. Master key (whose magnetic transponder is registered in the ECU) can authorize other transponder to allow engine to be started.

Oh one more thing, take the key you want copied (duplicated) ,,, you have the valet key and the other key(s).

Salim
Old 11-15-11, 05:32 PM
wutake
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
I bought an OEM key and Lexus of Austin cut the key for me. When I tried calling locksmith, they tried to convince me that they need to program the key [I was in the same boat as you ... just cut the key]. So I can not recommend any one. Transferring the electronics is as easy as replacing the battery ... all you need is a right size screwdriver.

Sorry, I could not understand your second paragraph. The key is a key which is personalized by the humps and the cuts. The electronics part is the remote and there is a small magnetic transponder for imobilizer. Master key (whose magnetic transponder is registered in the ECU) can authorize other transponder to allow engine to be started.

Oh one more thing, take the key you want copied (duplicated) ,,, you have the valet key and the other key(s).

Salim
Thanks for your help, Salim.

Last edited by wutake; 11-15-11 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-16-11, 04:22 PM
tekillah
Driver School Candidate

Here is where I got mine from - http://www.dealextreme.com/p/lexus-2...y-casing-16361
While you are at it, buy a couple more for backup.

The cheapest way is to get the new key cut at a locksmith and transfer the electronics
Old 11-20-11, 06:09 PM
lorcan
Driver School Candidate

My local wanted $170 / key, backordered. I got 2 cut and delivered http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3359wt_1160
Switched out the electronics.
They work.
Old 07-01-15, 12:03 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

NO MORE BROKEN KEYS!
Remember to ask for the Eternity Key when replacing your broken Lexus key fobs. It's materials and patented design make it stronger than anything on the market, and it carries a lifetime warranty - so you will never have to buy another key again. Check out details at www.eternitykey.com
Old 12-11-15, 09:57 AM
sallensr
Rookie

So am I understanding that any of the blank uncut on Ebay will work, but they have to be cut. Once cut you can take the transponder from the old remote and put it into the new one right? Does the new cut key have to be programmed? And am i correct and saying that once transferred into the new shell, the transponder works as it should?
Old 12-11-15, 01:43 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by sallensr
So am I understanding that any of the blank uncut on Ebay will work, but they have to be cut. Once cut you can take the transponder from the old remote and put it into the new one right? Does the new cut key have to be programmed? And am i correct and saying that once transferred into the new shell, the transponder works as it should?
The blade (metal) has nothing to do with the electronics. The groove (cut) lets it rotate (or not) the cylinder and that makes an arm move and make connections.

So the answer to your last question is 'yes'.

Salim
Old 12-11-15, 02:42 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

I bought this last June, no issues. $18.50 for 2 precut keys, including shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PRE-CUT-3-...-/151909979195

If you don't know your key code take your registration to the dealer, they can look it up from the VIN.
A few minutes to swap in the electronics and you're done.
Old 04-26-16, 04:25 PM
roseyyz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, has anyone tried those fold-able / flip/ folding remote keys? Does it work well? A near locksmith said transmitter might be a little too far away inside the case and it might not work at all. So does anyone knows for sure about this? This is an image of the key I'm considering... thanks !
http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgra...tT21BO&vxp=mtr
Old 04-27-16, 08:33 AM
cotis
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Given the low cost of the new shell why not try it?
Old 05-11-16, 12:16 AM
DaveInMesa
Driver School Candidate

I have one that's disintegrated, too. Couldn't I transfer the metal blade to a new shell, along with the electronics? Seems like that would be easier than getting new keys cut. I know it's not currently attached to either piece of the shell, but I don't know if the blades in the replacements are removable, or not.

Quick Reply: Replacement Key Housings