RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
Old 12-16-14, 12:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

Replace radiator hoses as preventive maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 07:16 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
Art- Good to see you haven't abandoned us. You were always a valuable part of this forum.
One thing I would like to know (not before answering this question) is HOW MANY RX owners (or other T/L owners that use FP/filter arangements like the RX) actually have EVER changed their fuel filter??? I know my DIL's RX has never been changed in 155K mi. that it now has on it. I also know (not from personal experience, but observation of others experience) that MANY fuel pumps fail from running the fuel too low on a regular basis and overheating the pump as well as not replacing the fuel filter (when becoming obstructed at all) and causing the FP to work too hard and causing premature failure. I feel that with the use of top tier fuel, always filling up when the tank hits NO LOWER than 1/4 tank and preferably 1/3 tank and making sure the filter is ALWAYS unobstructed (meaning keep check on it even if it is an intank filter like the RX) that there is a good chance the car will go to it's grave with the original pump. Those pumps are amazing, and if they're kept cool with adaquate fuel (as well as lubricated with that same fuel) they do an incredible job. The problem is, I doubt that more than more than 1-5 in 100 ever meet all of those goals. As far as myself, I probably wouldn't change the pump AS LONG as I met those goals, for the reasons I've mentioned.

Please do us all a favor and all who pass this way chime in on the fuel filter maintenance and replacement on your T/L vehicle with the intank filter. Thanks in advance.

Roger
One thing I can tell you, and it is bad habit, but I have for the longest time been filling up the gas when the light comes on. It's a drag racing habit for sure, but have not had any ill effects that I can detect. Also find that when I've put in fuel injector cleaner or any other gas cleaner at that point and then fill up, it seems to do a better job than if I fill it up at 1/4 tank. I've tried to be more cautious of this as time goes by, but hopefully soon I can get a chance to change out the filter. I've just been way too busy on weekends to be able to get the chance.
Old 09-27-11, 08:03 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi, Roger -- I enjoy your thoughtful comments! I have changed the fuel filter on most of my vehicles over my many years, but not on my daughter's RX. I understand you can get at it under the back seat, but they say it's not a "routine" replacement item. I don't mind replacing it myself as long as I don't have to drop the tank and if there's any point to it. It seems to run well at about 140K.
Old 09-28-11, 12:26 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have never quite figured it out but the RX doesn't seem to be afflicted with the "constipation of the fuel system" that inline filter vehicles do, that leads to premature FP failure, and trust me it does! The only thing I can figure is that the fuel sloshing keeps the intank filter pretty clear of clogging by what's called "washing" the filter. I believe in strong preventative maintenance but have never seen any deterioration in performance in my DIL's RX as a result of not serviceing the filter. It is accessed under the back seat through a hole in the floor with a plate covering it, so no need to remove the tank. I suspicion most people don't even know it has one unless they have it serviced regularly at a T/L dealer, who for sure aren't going to miss those maintenance $$$$! Though I do the work on the RX, I have a hard time getting the car away from a very busy family!
Old 09-28-11, 12:35 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Also find that when I've put in fuel injector cleaner or any other gas cleaner at that point and then fill up, it seems to do a better job than if I fill it up at 1/4 tank.
Lexmex,
Use the CONCENTRATED Techron and you won't have that problem. That's what I use and you could eat out of that combustion chamber if it were used every couple of months.