RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How to Replace rear license plate light

Old 09-05-11, 01:46 AM
thug9030
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Arrow Replace stock license plate bulbs...

What Led bulbs would be the best to replace the stock license plate bulbs with...

i have a 2000 lexus rx300

THANK YOU

Last edited by thug9030; 09-05-11 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-05-11, 07:26 AM
SethP
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Replacing them is actually really easy...

I recommend replacing them both with LEDs, it provides a newer, more updated look to the lights.

If so, you will need T10 LED Wedge bulb. Though, be sure you don't get one with too many bulbs, you don't want to light your plate up like the 4th of July, but rather provide a comparable level of light to that which was provided by the original lights.

The bulbs I bought look like this:

I recommend doing an ebay search for "T10 LED License Plate" and you will find plenty of good options.

As for actually replacing the bulb, obviously they're located in the clear plastic case beside/above the plate. There is one screw holding each of them in. When you remove the screw, they pop right out. Then you just turn the bulb inside the casing (counter clockwise iirc) and it will come right out, you swap the bulb, and put it back in.

There's a 50% chance you will put the bulb in the wrong way, meaning when you turn it on it won't work. Putting the bulb in the other way will correct the polarity and it will work fine.

A full picture tutorial is really overkill for this DIY. It's REALLY easy and will take you about 5 mins tops.
Old 09-05-11, 07:41 AM
kidlex93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its also going to be really difficult getting the screws out if they're rusted. I gave up and had my mechanic cut the plastic so I could just super glue it back on. I think lexus wanted $27 per plastic cover or some outrageous price like that.
Old 09-05-11, 12:50 PM
thug9030
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SethP
Replacing them is actually really easy...

I recommend replacing them both with LEDs, it provides a newer, more updated look to the lights.

If so, you will need T10 LED Wedge bulb. Though, be sure you don't get one with too many bulbs, you don't want to light your plate up like the 4th of July, but rather provide a comparable level of light to that which was provided by the original lights.

The bulbs I bought look like this:

I recommend doing an ebay search for "T10 LED License Plate" and you will find plenty of good options.

As for actually replacing the bulb, obviously they're located in the clear plastic case beside/above the plate. There is one screw holding each of them in. When you remove the screw, they pop right out. Then you just turn the bulb inside the casing (counter clockwise iirc) and it will come right out, you swap the bulb, and put it back in.

There's a 50% chance you will put the bulb in the wrong way, meaning when you turn it on it won't work. Putting the bulb in the other way will correct the polarity and it will work fine.

A full picture tutorial is really overkill for this DIY. It's REALLY easy and will take you about 5 mins tops.
Thank you and i guess next time i will actually look to see if its hard to do before posting. but i really appreciate the time you took to explain a alternative option as well as my original one. but if i buy one of those bulbs you suggested wont it use more wattage... then the original Sylvania/License Plate Light Bulb
Old 09-05-11, 01:52 PM
SethP
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by thug9030
Thank you and i guess next time i will actually look to see if its hard to do before posting. but i really appreciate the time you took to explain a alternative option as well as my original one. but if i buy one of those bulbs you suggested wont it use more wattage... then the original Sylvania/License Plate Light Bulb
No, LEDs actually use less wattage.
Old 09-05-11, 02:21 PM
thug9030
Pit Crew

ok because i just found some and not sure if it do or not.. and how long does shipping take for you and where did you purchase yours from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LICEN...item19c584afc6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-...item439977204a

these are what i was looking at getting

Last edited by thug9030; 09-05-11 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-05-11, 03:32 PM
SethP
Pit Crew

Both would work.

One of the ones you're looking at is most likely from China so shipping is usually a couple of weeks.

You could find some others within the US if you filter for such on ebay, and expect shipping within about 1 week.

This guy offers a 2 pack and is a US shipper, with similar pricing to those you listed:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-T1...item256438b924

They actually look more like mine, as mine actually have 5 leds, not 4. Can't say if it would make much of a difference or not

As a side note... If you ever want to go through hell and back, another good use for LEDs is replacing the auxiliary lights in the front headlight unit. It requires removing the wheel well and everything, but those top corner lights which look pretty yellow can be exchanged for LEDs. In this case I did the opposite of what I mentioned above... I looked for much brighter ones... I think they were 7 LED bulbs (still T10 wedge though), with that being said, going even brighter wouldn't hurt. It really improved the looks, too.

Last edited by SethP; 09-05-11 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-05-11, 03:53 PM
thug9030
Pit Crew

Both would work.

One of the ones you're looking at is most likely from China so shipping is usually a couple of weeks.

You could find some others within the US if you filter for such on ebay, and expect shipping within about 1 week.

This guy offers a 2 pack and is a US shipper, with similar pricing to those you listed:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-T1...item256438b924

They actually look more like mine, as mine actually have 5 leds, not 4. Can't say if it would make much of a difference or not

As a side note... If you ever want to go through hell and back, another good use for LEDs is replacing the auxiliary lights in the front headlight unit. It requires removing the wheel well and everything, but those top corner lights which look pretty yellow can be exchanged for LEDs. In this case I did the opposite of what I mentioned above... I looked for much brighter ones... I think they were 7 LED bulbs (still T10 wedge though), with that being said, going even brighter wouldn't hurt. It really improved the looks, too.
thanks but the reason why i asked about this seller http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-...item439977204a is because he isnt really that far from me and i didnt want my led lights to be to dim and you can barely see them in the dark which will result in me getting pulled over.
Old 09-06-11, 08:38 AM
thug9030
Pit Crew

Thumbs up

thanks for all your help i just made the purchase on these and they have just shipped out today. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1439.l2649
Old 09-06-11, 08:55 AM
Mut
Rookie

Will these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-...#ht_1637wt_982

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-T1...#ht_3167wt_754

fit my 1999 rx300?
Old 09-06-11, 08:55 PM
thug9030
Pit Crew

Yes they will fit perfectly
Old 09-08-11, 03:20 PM
SethP
Pit Crew

Glad to see you guys doing this mod. Considering it's a $6 mod and takes about 5 minutes, I don't know everyone doesn't do this. Especially those of us who have moved to whiter headlights, like the Silverstars (had a really bad experience with a hid kit)

Guys, share your feedback on the bulbs you used, and what you think about them.

If I remember to do it, I'll take some pics this weekend of mine on the RX.
Old 09-08-11, 04:04 PM
thug9030
Pit Crew

Glad to see you guys doing this mod. Considering it's a $6 mod and takes about 5 minutes, I don't know everyone doesn't do this. Especially those of us who have moved to whiter headlights, like the Silverstars (had a really bad experience with a hid kit)

Guys, share your feedback on the bulbs you used, and what you think about them.

If I remember to do it, I'll take some pics this weekend of mine on the RX.
o yea most definitely... I just got mine in the mail today. but depending if you have the right Philips head and the bulb housing isnt pretty much wedged in there then 5 minutes is really the most you'll spend doing it. but if your one of the unlucky people like me then its going to take maybe 15 minutes the most LOL.. but I ended to getting the 5 bulb one and it looks good kinda has that cool blue look.. no complaints...
Old 09-08-11, 04:15 PM
BAUSauto
Former Sponsor

We sell 5-SMD LED bulbs for CL members here for $15 a pair shipped

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...s-on-sale.html

These are 3 chips LED not like those 1 chip LED
These are a lot brighter than those cheap one on the ebay
And these last longer too!!!
Old 09-08-11, 04:37 PM
SethP
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JLCLightings
We sell 5-SMD LED bulbs for CL members here for $15 a pair shipped

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...s-on-sale.html

These are 3 chips LED not like those 1 chip LED
These are a lot brighter than those cheap one on the ebay
And these last longer too!!!
Could you elaborate a little more? I'm not sure I understand what it means for an LED to be 1 chip or 3?

Also, on the post you linked to you do not have any kits for 1st gen RX (99-03), but only 04-09. Any plan to change this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Replace rear license plate light