RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission filter change help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-11, 03:58 PM
Stemmer
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission filter change help needed

I read the sticky on the DIY transmission fluid, pan and filter change. I don't see where this was ever done on my '99 RX300 and want to do it as I have recurring nightmares about a second transmission failure. I've had one flush and lots of drain/refills but don't see where the filter was ever changed. I am not a DIY type, but I have an indy mechanic that I can bring parts to. Two questions. One, is there any downside to doing this and two, what do I need to bring to the mechanic? The sticky indicates:
1. transmission pan gasket, toyota part 35168-21010;
2. transmission oil strainer, toyota part 35330-06010;
3. transmission filter, I can't find the toyota part number;
4. How many quarts of toyota ATF? The sticky is confusing me with reference to additional ATF for the transfer case and transmission cooler. I have no idea what the cooler is and I don't need to change transfer case gear oil;
5. Anything else? Is the suggestion to actually change the pan or just the gasket and strainer?
Thanks for any input!
Old 07-18-11, 07:34 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Strainer is the filter.

Salim
Old 07-18-11, 10:14 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

A drain and fill with the strainer or filter being removed and replaced with usually require about 4.2 qrts. (AWD)...The oil strainer is a wire mesh, the paper filter which may be in your car has to be replaced. the mesh just needs cleaning. DO NOT do a flush...A fluid exhange is ok and uses the transmission pump to move the fluid. Otherwise just do the drain and fill after cleaning the pan and checking the filter.
Old 07-19-11, 12:26 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thomas, helped my brother do a complete change on his '05 Hylander when I was in Phoenix last week. He pulled the pan and cleaned it and changed the filter, then we did a change by pumping through with the trans. pump. Can't stand to leave 2/3 dirty fluid in the system, while only changing 1/3. He bought 14 qts. and it used 13 of them to do the change because of the lines and the cooler.
Old 07-19-11, 03:01 AM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally agree. It takes an extra 30 minutes to do the fluid exchange plus the cost of the fluid. Why do all the work and stop short of completely fresh fluid?
Old 07-19-11, 10:46 AM
salimshah

Why is the transfluid dirty? and more so what is 'dirt'?
Where are the contaminants coming from?

Removal of sediment 'dirt' is the primary reason to do the drain and fill.

Note: Some fails have been reported right after a drain and fill.

Salim
Old 07-19-11, 12:04 PM
kidlex93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to do a drain and fill and was wondering should I buy this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATC-A...#ht_2865wt_931 or stick with OEM Toyota?
Old 07-19-11, 01:02 PM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Had real good luck here. http://www.partsgeek.com/ymm/2001/lexus/rx300.html Prices are great and shipping very reasonable.
Old 07-19-11, 04:39 PM
kidlex93
Rookie

Ooooo thanks iluvlexus. Which kit would you (or anyone else) recommend?
Old 07-19-11, 07:17 PM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Personally, I bought the Beck-Arnley which was the cheapest. Came with the o-ring and gasket and fit perfectly. This is not rocket science and I figured this would be adequate. Be careful as the AWD has a 18 bolt pan and the 2WD has a 17 bolt pan. The process described in the sticky led me through the project and my transmission is happier for it. Good luck. BTW, I have bought other parts from this site and have been more than satisfied by the quality, price, and customer service.
Old 07-21-11, 10:14 AM
calticboy
Driver School Candidate

i have lexus rx300 2000...and i'm planning to do the transmission fluid change this weekend. I was wondering if you going to buy the oil strainer, does the paper filter comes with it or you have to buy separately?
thanks
Old 07-21-11, 10:55 AM
salimshah

The strainer is the filter. Hence the name .. strainer.

my 99RX came with fine metal mesh screen (as a filter) and if it is not damaged, it can cleaned and re-installed.

I am not sure, but this is what I have heard that if you want to buy a new strainer, it is made out of a synthetic fiber mesh (some call it the paper filter). It might be that Lexus switched to the fiber strainer after certain date. Is the fiber filter better than the screen? or was it done to reduce production cost or ??.

In any case, if you have a fiber strainer, you need to replace it (it should not be cleaned and reused). If you have metal screen, you can clean it and reuse it or replace it with the fiber.

Personally, I have kept the metal screen. If you have followed my posts, I personally think the problem with the transmission has more to do with a failing part and very little to do with the fluid/straining. YMMV

Salim
Old 07-21-11, 11:22 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
The strainer is the filter. Hence the name .. strainer.

my 99RX came with fine metal mesh screen (as a filter) and if it is not damaged, it can cleaned and re-installed.

I am not sure, but this is what I have heard that if you want to buy a new strainer, it is made out of a synthetic fiber mesh (some call it the paper filter). It might be that Lexus switched to the fiber strainer after certain date. Is the fiber filter better than the screen? or was it done to reduce production cost or ??.

In any case, if you have a fiber strainer, you need to replace it (it should not be cleaned and reused). If you have metal screen, you can clean it and reuse it or replace it with the fiber.

Personally, I have kept the metal screen. If you have followed my posts, I personally think the problem with the transmission has more to do with a failing part and very little to do with the fluid/straining. YMMV

Salim

Also known as the rock catcher!
Old 07-21-11, 11:59 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Also known as the rock catcher!
Though my DIL's '99 RX has over 150K mi. on it with NO trans. problems so far, when I have done the complete change using the trans. pump, I have been concerned and amazed at the low pressure (or volume) produced when pumping the old oil out. I have pretty much always changed the complete system that way and have never seen that low a V/P on any other vehicle. I wonder if it is part of what is responsible for the failures that have occurred. This is one of the reasons I prefer the screen over the "paper" filter because I feel it tends to cause less restriction of volume.
Old 07-22-11, 03:06 AM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

I had a different impression when I changed did my fluid exchange on my 2001. It would fill up a gallon milk jug in about 20 seconds. It made the change over a little tough as I couldn't add it fast enough. I also used the fiber filter.

Quick Reply: Transmission filter change help needed