RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Can I save my transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 03:29 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy Can I save my transmission?

My car had been a little rough shifting gears but on its last trip it wouldn't shift into 4th gear overdrive not used. I was 1 block from home after braking for traffic lights then the car fails to go any where no gear engaged so i kill ignition and restart. The car finds a gear and drives until i touch the brakes to enter my street where again no gear and engine revving as i push in hope. I kill ignition a dozen times then i get a gear and manage to get it home as am in my street but car is over revving like clutch slipping in a manual. I let car cool then start car after a minute of a whining noise it goes quiet i try reverse and it engages so i reverse back 20 feet and then try drive and nothing happens.

I drained my fluid it was a bit smelly it wasn't black but was darker and murkier than normal i saw no metal fragments in oil pan. I then refilled with Toyota ATF IV.

Started car I will mention that there are no warning lights of any kind on dash. Car found reverse with the whining noise noise went away after a minute so reversed back a 6 feet and tried drive but nothing happens.
i read a few threads.
Then posted this as need some ideas. Wondering if the solenoids need attention i would think i would get a warning light for that?
car has 110,000km on clock = 68,350 miles. AWD.

So my torque converter appears to be not engaging so what shall i do next?

Last edited by Australian; 05-12-11 at 03:35 AM. Reason: spelling grammar
Old 05-12-11, 05:39 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

You need to try replacing the filter as well. Could more than likely be a clogged filter.
Old 05-12-11, 05:17 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Second that on the filter...Then you can see what is really going on.
Old 05-12-11, 05:59 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

x3, replace the filter. It's better to spend $50 on a filter rather than $2500 on a transmission.
Old 05-13-11, 03:22 AM
Australian
Advanced

I went back to Toyota today and got 35168-21011 gasket the rx300 was never sold in Australia although i do have an Australia/nz VIN number they had no record so was going through the alternatives harrier, highlander hopefully i have right gasket and couldn't buy the filter today so hopefully mine is mesh that i can clean in petrol. I have to work on Saturday so hopefully Sunday i will drop the pan and clean out the filter will keep you all posted as i know you guys don't want to hear about another transmission purchase.

I was wondering about transmission options if i end up with a shot transmission is there a better transmission i should look at. If all the same i realize the L is worth so much more than the T even though same thing. Eg: highlander vs Rx.
I am sure that although never a recall the issue was addressed in later assembly after 04 or something extra parts added etc. Anyone know of options including manual i could look at if i dont fix my issues on Sunday. Just throwing the question around since this gearbox is considered such a lemon.
Old 05-13-11, 03:30 AM
Australian
Advanced

as you can see a lot of hope is required.
Old 05-13-11, 09:01 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Toyota/Lexus sells a product called FIPG. It is like a gel and you make a continues bead and you have to assemble (and torque) within 10 minutes. This gel forms the gasket. SC400 (Soarer in down under) uses that for transmission gasket. I still have a half a tube in the refrigerator.

Down side (or upside ... double negatives for you) is it is a pain to clean out if you remove the pan ... still -doable.

Good luck.

Salim
Old 05-14-11, 02:10 AM
Australian
Advanced

I just got back from a test drive all good now shifting smooth and went into forth yay. Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 05-14-11, 06:23 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to hear that it's shifting fine now, but I suggest you still drain and fill one more time, just to get any more crap out of there.
Old 05-14-11, 11:30 PM
dindih
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2000 RX300 AWD at 107K. Tranny would not engage in any gear when shifted in R/D/2 or L last July (2010). Towed it to a local transmission shop and got a drain/pan-drop/filter change done. It worked fine after that with no symptoms. No metal shavings in the pan or on the magnets, just brown, burnt fluid with fine dust precipitate (gunk!).

The car started having rough switch from 1st to 2nd gear when cold in early March of this year. Got a second drain of 4.3 quarts of T-IV fluid, pan drop and filter change again. Again no metal shavings but more of fluid/metal gunk (powdery fines).

After this second pan-drop and fluid drain, the car continued with the rough shift change when cold. Got better in the next few weeks until about a week ago. Wife called to inform that the car won't engage in rear from the parking spot at the doctor's parking lot. She also said that the car had weird sounds (metal-to-meta contact) driving to the doctor's office.

Got it towed home. The tow truck had to force load the RX300 since it was electronically locked and would not disengage going backward even in neutral. Today I drained another 4.3 quarts of transmission fluid, dropped the pan to find a lot of metal shavings in the pan along with more gunk. The tranny filter this time also contained much metal shavings and fine powder gunk.

After reinstalling the new filter, I started the engine and shifted from gear to gear while the was still on the driveway. It would not engage in any one of the gears. When pusing on the gas pedal, the car appeared to engage in the gear and move for a little while but then started making a lot of broken metal sound noise coming from the gears. It was again impossible to push it with the engine was on or off while in neutral. It felt as if the transmission was electronically locked out. I had to disengage the transfer coupling to the rear differential to be able to manually move the car out of my driveway.

Hence, this transmission filter plugging may be a sign of the beginning of the fatal transmission failure, I hope I am worng in the case of the Australian!

Now I don't know what to do ! I am not willing to pay $6-8 K to Lexus for a new tranny for sure ! I don't even know if I want to pay Lexus for a rebuilt for $4K. The worst thing I feel I spent a bunch of money to replace 2 knock sensors, front/rear brakes with new rotors, a brand new starter, a new serpentine belt and many other small parts changed, upgraded...

I can buy a rebuilt transmission from 1Stop Transmissions (a shop in Peoria, AZ) for $1,595 plus $300 for shipping plus core return) and I can put it in with the help of a friend. I am a little concerned about any ECU resets or flashes that may be necessary. Or I may just get rid of the car...

Any suggestions ?
Old 05-15-11, 05:26 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

You can get a transmission replaced for 2k, with labor. Shop around, at my uncle's shop we do transmission's for 1800 with labor on most cars (flat rate), all wheel drive is usually 2000 with labor(depends on how much the used trans. is).
Old 05-15-11, 07:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by dindih
I have 2000 RX300 AWD at 107K. Tranny would not engage in any gear when shifted in R/D/2 or L last July (2010). Towed it to a local transmission shop and got a drain/pan-drop/filter change done. It worked fine after that with no symptoms. No metal shavings in the pan or on the magnets, just brown, burnt fluid with fine dust precipitate (gunk!).

The car started having rough switch from 1st to 2nd gear when cold in early March of this year. Got a second drain of 4.3 quarts of T-IV fluid, pan drop and filter change again. Again no metal shavings but more of fluid/metal gunk (powdery fines).

After this second pan-drop and fluid drain, the car continued with the rough shift change when cold. Got better in the next few weeks until about a week ago. Wife called to inform that the car won't engage in rear from the parking spot at the doctor's parking lot. She also said that the car had weird sounds (metal-to-meta contact) driving to the doctor's office.

Got it towed home. The tow truck had to force load the RX300 since it was electronically locked and would not disengage going backward even in neutral. Today I drained another 4.3 quarts of transmission fluid, dropped the pan to find a lot of metal shavings in the pan along with more gunk. The tranny filter this time also contained much metal shavings and fine powder gunk.

After reinstalling the new filter, I started the engine and shifted from gear to gear while the was still on the driveway. It would not engage in any one of the gears. When pusing on the gas pedal, the car appeared to engage in the gear and move for a little while but then started making a lot of broken metal sound noise coming from the gears. It was again impossible to push it with the engine was on or off while in neutral. It felt as if the transmission was electronically locked out. I had to disengage the transfer coupling to the rear differential to be able to manually move the car out of my driveway.

Hence, this transmission filter plugging may be a sign of the beginning of the fatal transmission failure, I hope I am worng in the case of the Australian!

Now I don't know what to do ! I am not willing to pay $6-8 K to Lexus for a new tranny for sure ! I don't even know if I want to pay Lexus for a rebuilt for $4K. The worst thing I feel I spent a bunch of money to replace 2 knock sensors, front/rear brakes with new rotors, a brand new starter, a new serpentine belt and many other small parts changed, upgraded...

I can buy a rebuilt transmission from 1Stop Transmissions (a shop in Peoria, AZ) for $1,595 plus $300 for shipping plus core return) and I can put it in with the help of a friend. I am a little concerned about any ECU resets or flashes that may be necessary. Or I may just get rid of the car...

Any suggestions ?
With respect to the last paragraph, there are no ECU resets or flashes to worry about.

Only advice I can give you there (and from experience) is to make sure the the you put the exact amount of transmission fluid required after reinstalling the transmission and to make sure that all the electrical grounds that may have been removed when taking out the transmission are reattached.
Old 05-15-11, 08:50 AM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can buy a rebuilt transmission from 1Stop Transmissions (a shop in Peoria, AZ) for $1,595 plus $300 for shipping plus core return)
Any suggestions ?
I am thinking the same place to buy a rebuilt transmission. Let me know how is good when you get it. Thanks.
Old 05-21-11, 08:52 PM
dindih
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Summary: 2001 RX300 AWD transmission died. Took out transmission to a local shop to be rebuilt with upgrades. $2000 to rebuild. Shop offered to put the tranny back on the car for an additional $300, all inclusive (fluid, etc.). Will be done next week.

See my earlier post on this thread for details of my transmission problems.

After it was obvious that the transmission was gone in my 2000 RX300, we took the transmission out last week. This is a tough job that requires taking out a lot of components including the engine mount and the frame. I could have never attempted to tackle this if it wasn't for an adventurous and very capable friend.

We were initially going to get a rebuilt transmission from a vendor on ebay (1Stop Transmissions in Peoria, AZ) for $1595 plus $320 for shipping (rebuilt and core) plus $179 for torque converter ($2094 total) which is a pretty good deal. I then found a good deal in a local shop to rebuilt the tranny for $2000 plus $300 for putting it back on and testing to make sure that it works.

I live in Delaware near Philadelphia and 1999-2000 RX300 transmission's design defect is a well known fact by the transmission shops in this area. Both Toyota/Lexus and the after-market transmission part manufacturers apparently have developed upgraded-kits for rebuilding the transmission of these cars.

I will put and update after testing the car with is new transmission next week.
Old 05-23-11, 07:04 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I live in Delaware near Philadelphia and 1999-2000 RX300 transmission's design defect is a well known fact by the transmission shops in this area. Both Toyota/Lexus and the after-market transmission part manufacturers apparently have developed upgraded-kits for rebuilding the transmission of these cars.
Interesting, Lexus dealers deny there's any problem withthe RX300 AWD transmission!

Quick Reply: Can I save my transmission?