RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New wide armrests

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 11:40 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Spoke too soon, just heard back from Jim who says the arm rests will ship tomorrow. They have apparently been moving offices or something.
Old 01-13-11, 12:42 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver
Spoke too soon, just heard back from Jim who says the arm rests will ship tomorrow. They have apparently been moving offices or something.
Dang....I thought you were updating with pics!....maybe next week.
Old 01-13-11, 08:31 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL... I couldn't stop laughing at the pictures... who the heck needs a sofa side rest for an arm rest? Come on, the thing looks out of proportion. I mean even in upright position, I don't think you'll be able to use the pop-up cup holder.

Anyway, please do post pictures once converted... I'd like to have a few more laughs..
Old 01-14-11, 08:11 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
LOL... I couldn't stop laughing at the pictures... who the heck needs a sofa side rest for an arm rest? Come on, the thing looks out of proportion. I mean even in upright position, I don't think you'll be able to use the pop-up cup holder.

Anyway, please do post pictures once converted... I'd like to have a few more laughs..
LOL! Dude! Tell us what you really think! Could you riff on green cars for us? Everybody knows how bad green cars suck! Right?
Old 01-14-11, 07:42 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Green

LOL! Dude! Tell us what you really think! Could you riff on green cars for us? Everybody knows how bad green cars suck! Right?
Green is the color of money... but it does suck on a car or SUV. I park in the woods and I can't ever find it easily again....

Hey, got my RX off-lease from a friend who treated his vehicles like gold, even leased... so it was best deal for me at the time. Couldn't do much about the color.

But really, do post your mod when done... be "interested" to see it. Maybe what you get won't be as funky looking as the ones posted.
Old 01-18-11, 06:05 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too find the orig arm rests skinny and use the passenger side armrest. When travelling with my wife I hold her hands for additional brownie points. I would love to see this mod
Old 01-18-11, 06:17 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

I got this TODAY! I can't say much for customer service, it's been 18 days.

And the package hasn't been given to UPS as of right now.
Old 01-19-11, 12:29 PM
defo
Intermediate

I got this TODAY! I can't say much for customer service, it's been 18 days.

And the package hasn't been given to UPS as of right now.
Thats horrible.....seems like they probably manufactured them, after receiving your payment and do not keep any "in stock"
Old 01-19-11, 07:29 PM
AlexusAnja

man, we're more anxious than you at this point to see it... do post once up and running. Maybe post a DIY with pictures so we can sticky so if others are interested.
Old 01-20-11, 07:55 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
man, we're more anxious than you at this point to see it... do post once up and running. Maybe post a DIY with pictures so we can sticky so if others are interested.
Calm down young lady! I know you're excited but they'll be here soon enough. I doubt there'll be a DIY pictorial, my only tools are a screwdriver, a pair of pliers and a hammer and they all still have that new tool smell due to lack of use.

I'll take them to my mech for installation along with the new clear side markers. I hope you don't wet your little pants in excitement while you are waiting!
Old 01-21-11, 01:12 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Here's a teaser for our little friend Anoose...

Old 01-21-11, 08:00 PM
AlexusAnja

Nice counter top... can't wait to see it installed. Tell us how you like it and how much it blocks the cup holders.

Also, I'm a dude... not a young lady...

From A Bug's Life in flea circus scene the flys to the lady bug "it's a GUY !!!"
Old 01-22-11, 09:03 AM
defo
Intermediate

Here's a teaser for our little friend Anoose...

Hopefully they sent the correct armrests, those instructions say Toyota Highlander
Old 01-22-11, 09:42 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by defo
Hopefully they sent the correct armrests, those instructions say Toyota Highlander
The first part of that sentence is RX300.
Old 01-27-11, 01:58 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

CL, we have armrests...

When I saw how simple it was to install them, I popped for a socket extension and did it myself. A word about cup holders, I don't use them. I can't remember the last time I used a cup holder. Until this thread I had completely forgotten about the ones under the spring door so you'll have to make your judgments about the ease of use from the pics.

What they are is supremely comfortable. As one observer phrased it they are indeed couch like and compared to the scrawny little OEM rests these babies are Barcalounger comfy.

Mounting the bracket:

Installing the tensioner:

Done:

The first one took about 10 minutes, the second about 4. The leather match is spot on. The quality of construction is excellent. These eliminate one of my biggest gripes about my car. My original armrest was simply too close to me to be useful so I used the passenger rest unless there was someone sitting there and on long trips there usually is.

Quick Reply: New wide armrests