RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

1999 - 2003 Lexus RX300 in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 04:36 AM
babymandm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 - 2003 Lexus RX300 in the snow

Hello. I'm new to the forum and I've always loved the Lexus RX300 & 350 models. I'm looking to purchase my first one and my main concern is how they are in the snow? As much as I want this car for the style and luxury of the vehicle, I really need something that is good in the snow to get me to work and back. It's about a 15 minute trip so it's not too bad but we live in PA and we get some pretty big storms and our driveway is up a pretty steep mountain and we don't get plows on our driveway so I'm a little worried on the snow performance. Thanks for any help you can give to a newbie.
Old 01-03-18, 10:52 AM
salimshah

Received 1,008 Likes on 911 Posts

AWD/FWD?

Quality of tires for winter is the key.

Salim
Old 01-04-18, 08:05 AM
murphysf
Pit Crew

I was about to ask a similar question, I have an RX300 AWD and understand that quality tires aer key.

SO my question is besides tires what would make a RX300 AWD, Subaru AWD, Rav4 AWD CR-V AWD, NIssan AWD better or worse than each other in the snow? Is it the programming of the transmission / differential?
Old 01-04-18, 06:07 PM
salimshah

Please excuse the rambling ... so read at your own discretion

The whole issue is providing torque to the wheel(s) which has traction in slippery conditions. At the same time when you are driving in dry condition how the torque is limited to the wheel that does not want to spin at the same rate as the other [turning, one wheel going over a bump]. So different manufacturers have come up with different solution. Fixed [all time] typically tune it for the dry condition.

First gen RX AWD is by no means the superior system. Some were equipped with LSD which made its better. Surprisingly FWD with traction control [used to be an option] worked better than AWD [but needed traction on one of the front two]. Keep in mind first gen is now almost 20 yrs old and back then you had two choices amongst cross over SUVs ... RX and ML (Benz). So Benz jury rigged an elaborate rollers based set-up and demonstrated the ineffective RX AWD system. In response Lexus started offering Trac in all offerings.

Moving along to current times, Subaru's AWD is considered a superior system. Open to discussion though.

At the end, I say, know your system well, so that you dont get into a situation that you cant handle. Even track based tanks have a limitation where they cant go.

Worst is when folks get into the false security and think their AWD can drive through any condition ... but physics says once traction is lost on all fours you are riding a puck.

Salim
Old 01-04-18, 07:23 PM
babymandm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Please excuse the rambling ... so read at your own discretion

The whole issue is providing torque to the wheel(s) which has traction in slippery conditions. At the same time when you are driving in dry condition how the torque is limited to the wheel that does not want to spin at the same rate as the other [turning, one wheel going over a bump]. So different manufacturers have come up with different solution. Fixed [all time] typically tune it for the dry condition.

First gen RX AWD is by no means the superior system. Some were equipped with LSD which made its better. Surprisingly FWD with traction control [used to be an option] worked better than AWD [but needed traction on one of the front two]. Keep in mind first gen is now almost 20 yrs old and back then you had two choices amongst cross over SUVs ... RX and ML (Benz). So Benz jury rigged an elaborate rollers based set-up and demonstrated the ineffective RX AWD system. In response Lexus started offering Trac in all offerings.

Moving along to current times, Subaru's AWD is considered a superior system. Open to discussion though.

At the end, I say, know your system well, so that you dont get into a situation that you cant handle. Even track based tanks have a limitation where they cant go.

Worst is when folks get into the false security and think their AWD can drive through any condition ... but physics says once traction is lost on all fours you are riding a puck.

Salim
Thank you for your response. I guess I need to do my homework before I jump into one of these older models. I e been learning so much. Thank you again, I truly appreciate it!
Old 01-04-18, 09:15 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by babymandm
Thank you for your response. I guess I need to do my homework before I jump into one of these older models. I e been learning so much. Thank you again, I truly appreciate it!
Dont get me wrong ... RX performs fairly well in snow, Search on youtube and you can see it go places that at least I would not go to. When it gets to ice, that is where all are equal is 4 wheels are on ice [if in motion you will stay in motion and if stopped, you will stay put]. Some may work through with only 1 wheel with traction [for 1st gen RX it would be front], with 2 [check which 2] and practically all will move with traction on 3.

Another way to look at int would be, even if your vehicle is capable of driving through a bad patch of road, would you like to share it with other crazy drivers. Not in my lux-ute.

Salim
Old 01-05-18, 04:14 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

For what it's worth, I have two AWD '99's with all-weather Michelin tires, and I've never had any trouble in Iowa winters getting anywhere. Never had a need for dedicated winter tires. I would recommend a first-gen RX without hesitation!!
Old 01-05-18, 06:20 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a 2001 with dedicated snow tires and it's a tank. Perfect up and down my steep icy driveway.
Old 01-06-18, 08:45 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Agreed, my 2000 RX300 is a beast in the snow. Mind you, I do have the factory LSD. Haven't had issues even in unplowed snow up to 2 feet.
Old 01-13-18, 11:30 AM
NYJim
Driver School Candidate

I would also recommend the first generation RX without hesitation. I have been driving mine through all seasons for the past two years and never has there been a problem, even with several inches of snow on the ground. I prefer driving it to a Subaru Forester in the snow.

I should add that I have the AWD, which I think is better for winter driving than the FWD.

Last edited by NYJim; 01-13-18 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 11:46 AM
babymandm
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your reply. The one I found is missing 2 lugnuts, can you buy them at a local Auto Parts store or do you have to get them through a dealer?
Old 01-13-18, 12:26 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by babymandm
Thank you for your reply. The one I found is missing 2 lugnuts, can you buy them at a local Auto Parts store or do you have to get them through a dealer?
I would suggest get it from the dealer or keep looking through eBay. The cone in the front of the nut must be just perfect to secure the wheel. After market can rust and cause more problems later down the road.

The other option would be to buy wheel locks (sold by McGaurd and you will free up 2 nuts.

Salim
Old 01-13-18, 10:09 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

The lug nut is 90942-01058. You can get them from Amazon or a dealer for less than $10 each.
Old 01-15-18, 06:10 AM
tim73
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Plz

Make sure you look at the stud threads. A lot of times, the reason why the lugnutd are missing is because the threads galled and the nuts wouldn't go back on. If this is the case you'll need new studs pressed in(which normally means removing the wheel hub).
Old 01-22-18, 09:32 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

My wife's '02 AWD was remarkable on half-worn OEM tires in about 4" of snow (no ice). I attempted to get it to break traction in a parking lot...full steering lock, attempting to do snownuts.

Nope.

Even tried backward, using the weight over the nose as a 'tail' to wag the dog.

The VSC was not happy with me, but it kept the car perfectly in-line. I've even had it off-road with opposite corners in the air, not a problem (besides the truly odd feeling of teetering).

Never got to do anything fun with it while it had BFG A/T kos in the OEM size, though.

Quick Reply: 1999 - 2003 Lexus RX300 in the snow