RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Air flow stuck in front position

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-10, 08:17 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Air flow stuck in front position

Hi

since the last few weeks, the air on my 2001 RX300 is stuck to the front position. I put it in Auto, it shows blowing hot air ot the feet, but the hot air still comes out of the front vents. If I manually change the position, the icons change but the air still blows out the front. I also not not hear any clicking or buzzing sound indicating the gates are being opened / closed.

What could be the problem? Any ideas?

TIA
Old 10-17-10, 12:15 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Hi

since the last few weeks, the air on my 2001 RX300 is stuck to the front position. I put it in Auto, it shows blowing hot air ot the feet, but the hot air still comes out of the front vents. If I manually change the position, the icons change but the air still blows out the front. I also not not hear any clicking or buzzing sound indicating the gates are being opened / closed.

What could be the problem? Any ideas?

TIA
Chikoo- sounds like a very good chance you are experiencing the infamous "air mix servo failure". There IS a POSSIBILITY it is something else but that is the most common failure. There has been quite a bit posted on it, on this forum and the other major Lexus forum, so you should have no problem finding it if "searching" under the above quotes.
Old 10-17-10, 12:31 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Code58, thank you. I did find the threads, but not sure if that applies as there is no mvt heard from the servo even after i opened up the dash....could it be a relay or fuse?
Old 10-17-10, 11:22 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Code58, thank you. I did find the threads, but not sure if that applies as there is no mvt heard from the servo even after i opened up the dash....could it be a relay or fuse?
I wish I could help more Chikoo, the RX is my DIL's, I'm only the volunteer mechanic on it. I remember someone posting a trick where you can put the controls into a mode where they will read out a trouble code in the "display" window. I believe it reads out a # and you have to look up the # to see what the problem is. Self diagnosis in other words. If I had the manual I could look and see if there are fuses or relays, but the manual is with the car. I've done a lot of electrical work and have the equipment to diagnose, but that's pretty much hands on work.

Here is the procedure for the self diagnosis. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sn-t-work.html

Last edited by code58; 10-17-10 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-03-10, 09:05 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Can somebody tell me which is the Mode servo?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Air flow stuck in front position-rx300-mode-servo.jpg  
Old 11-03-10, 09:06 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by code58
I wish I could help more Chikoo, the RX is my DIL's, I'm only the volunteer mechanic on it. I remember someone posting a trick where you can put the controls into a mode where they will read out a trouble code in the "display" window. I believe it reads out a # and you have to look up the # to see what the problem is. Self diagnosis in other words. If I had the manual I could look and see if there are fuses or relays, but the manual is with the car. I've done a lot of electrical work and have the equipment to diagnose, but that's pretty much hands on work.

Here is the procedure for the self diagnosis. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sn-t-work.html
Fantastic....I will try that.
Old 11-03-10, 07:58 PM
MASSMINI
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks!
The lower one (hidden by duct in your pic) is the mix servo. Upper one is mode servo.
Old 11-04-10, 08:39 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

so in my case where the air flow is stuck only in 1 position, should I be replacing only the Mode Servo or the Mix Servo?

Edit...I need to replace the Mix Servo. Got it!

TIA
Old 11-04-10, 08:53 AM
bmwboyee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!
Could you tell me how you removed all that stuff? I need to get back to the blower control module and that looks like it would give me access.
Old 11-04-10, 09:20 AM
MASSMINI
Pit Crew

so in my case where the air flow is stuck only in 1 position, should I be replacing only the Mode Servo or the Mix Servo?
TIA
Mix servo controls the mix of hot and cold air - in other words the temperature of the air coming out.

Mode servo controls where air comes out - floor, dash, defrost - corresponds to the 'mode' **** on the dash.

Sounds like your mode servo is faulty. Removing, opening it up, and cleaning can sometimes fix it. Worked for me with the mix servo. Many posts on the topic. Search for 'air mix servo' or just 'servo'.
Old 11-05-10, 12:37 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MASSMINI
Mix servo controls the mix of hot and cold air - in other words the temperature of the air coming out.

Mode servo controls where air comes out - floor, dash, defrost - corresponds to the 'mode' **** on the dash.

Sounds like your mode servo is faulty. Removing, opening it up, and cleaning can sometimes fix it. Worked for me with the mix servo. Many posts on the topic. Search for 'air mix servo' or just 'servo'.
I believe MASSMINI is correct. I have been guilty of calling it the "Air mix servo" and I believe the problem servo is actually the "Mode Servo". I have worked on it on 2 different RX's and the problem was the Mode Servo both times. It's the one that makes the "rat scratching" sound after you shut it off.
Old 11-05-10, 12:43 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Edit...I need to replace the Mix Servo. Got it!

TIA
Chikoo- I would suggest you pull the cover under the R side of the dash and then pull the glove box and door assy. Then operate your controls and you'll be able to SEE which one isn't working properly. You know now that the UPPER one is the MODE SERVO and the LOWER one is the AIR MIX SERVO, so you'll be able to actually watch and see which one isn't doing it's job.
Old 11-05-10, 05:54 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Shucks... I thought mode servo meant outside air or recirc air mode. Glad i did not swap out any. Anyways the mode servo(top) is not responsive at all when i change modes. Doesnt even try to move. I cleaned plug contacts but to no avail.
Old 11-05-10, 05:56 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bmwboyee
Could you tell me how you removed all that stuff? I need to get back to the blower control module and that looks like it would give me access.
That is super easy. Open the glove box and remove the bolts on top left and right corners. Do the same below the globe box.
Old 11-05-10, 07:27 PM
MASSMINI
Pit Crew

Shucks... I thought mode servo meant outside air or recirc air mode. Glad i did not swap out any. Anyways the mode servo(top) is not responsive at all when i change modes. Doesnt even try to move. I cleaned plug contacts but to no avail.
The contacts to clean are actually inside the servo. There's brush style contacts in there that sense the servo arm position. You have to remove the servo and open it up to get at them. Did this recently on the mix servo and it's worked fine since. Mode servo is much easier to remove than mix so you're in luck there...

Quick Reply: Air flow stuck in front position