RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus Rx300 Rear End Clunking Noise Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 02:38 PM
elacesar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Rx300 Rear End Clunking Noise Please Help!!

Hello again guys and i am sorry but I still need some help with the rear end clunking noise again.. I have taken it to a few good mechanics but they cant find the problem.. Its a noise that usually happens on the rear right side usually over heavy bumps and fast acceleration.. I tried Lexmexs idea about tightening all of the bolts concerning suspension, I replaced the two stabilizer link bars and it is still the same.. Any help will be appreciated....
Old 09-29-10, 06:33 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

If they (mechanics) ruled out the struts/mount, Then...
I've seen these go bad. Try pryng on it and see if there is any play.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Rx300 Rear End Clunking Noise Please Help!!-copy-of-rear-hub-bearing-2.jpg  
Old 09-30-10, 08:00 AM
elacesar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks and i replaced both rear strut mounts thinking it was the problem and the struts are good.. Should i try tightening these two bolts cause they did not look loose ? Thanks again..
Old 09-30-10, 08:45 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

The problem are not the nut getting loose.
Its the metal sleeve of the bushing that wears out. (shiny part)
Old 10-01-10, 08:12 AM
elacesar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks alot.. I am going to remove that bolt when i jack it up tomorrow..Should i watch out for anything when i remove that bolt?? Thanks again..
Old 07-09-15, 05:01 AM
greenRX300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by elacesar
Thanks and i replaced both rear strut mounts thinking it was the problem and the struts are good.. Should i try tightening these two bolts cause they did not look loose ? Thanks again..
I think I may have this same problem, but I'm confused about the terminology. I want to replace these bushings or sleeves, but am not sure what they're called (sway bar bushings or stabilizer link bar bushings)?

Thanks ,Chet
Old 07-10-18, 04:23 AM
Gew
Driver School Candidate

I think my 2001 RX300 is suffering from the same thing. The clunking (especially notable at low speeds) is driving me insane. Swaybar bushings looks fine and even though ~17 year old swaybar links seemed fine i replaced both. Toyota OEM were ~100 USD each though (insane) so I got some third party crap for a trifle. Noise remains, though.

I'm considering losing up both knuckle tie rods on the outer side (don't want to risk messing up toe/camber so I'll let inner ones be for now) and check condition on the metal sleeves you mention. Anyone here who knows spec:d torque for these bolts? Also, I'm thinking on undoing the lateral control rod (the one that goes from the lower side of the knuckle aiming towards the car front. This bad boy had bushings too, big rubber one integrated in the knuckle, right?

Gosh, this clunking has been driving me insane for quite some time now, can't wait till I manage to pinpoint it. I've even bought a mechanic stethoscope which is told to help locate this sort of noises.

Any other possibilities / ideas would be much appreciated!

Regards~
​​​​​​
Old 07-10-18, 09:29 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Gew
I think my 2001 RX300 is suffering from the same thing. The clunking (especially notable at low speeds) is driving me insane. Swaybar bushings looks fine and even though ~17 year old swaybar links seemed fine i replaced both. Toyota OEM were ~100 USD each though (insane) so I got some third party crap for a trifle. Noise remains, though.

I'm considering losing up both knuckle tie rods on the outer side (don't want to risk messing up toe/camber so I'll let inner ones be for now) and check condition on the metal sleeves you mention. Anyone here who knows spec:d torque for these bolts? Also, I'm thinking on undoing the lateral control rod (the one that goes from the lower side of the knuckle aiming towards the car front. This bad boy had bushings too, big rubber one integrated in the knuckle, right?

Gosh, this clunking has been driving me insane for quite some time now, can't wait till I manage to pinpoint it. I've even bought a mechanic stethoscope which is told to help locate this sort of noises.

Any other possibilities / ideas would be much appreciated!

Regards~
​​​​​​
I'm not sure what the issue is in your vehicle but if it it similar to what I experienced, I just took in my '02 RX a month ago to Sear's Auto for a steering/suspension evaluation because i was battling rear clunking for a few months and couldn't find the cause after tightening the usual suspects. It initially led me to think my bushings were shot in my control arms but due to the cost of everything, i thought I would take it in for a 2nd opinion. They found a camber/caster adjuster bolt loose, pulled it apart, wired brushed the rust and torqued it back to spec. Noise and looseness in the rear over bumps is now gone.