RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Our RX got totaled today

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 08:19 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

95 years old huh? didnt even know what happened? glad to hear no body was hurt.

Last edited by lexus114; 02-08-10 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-08-10, 12:23 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Yeah, and he hit a parked car. Really time to start cutting these ole folks off!

BTW, Artbuc: When I dispute my vehicle tax assessment each year I use KBB, NADA, Edmunds, AND get about 4 or 5 comp sale listings.
Old 02-08-10, 03:55 PM
salimshah

Received 1,008 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
I think the 95yr old is no longer in a position to make the call of hanging up the keys. [If I get to that age, I know it will be a hard decision for me as well]. His family needs to make that decision for him or drive home the fear of taking some ones life or crippling them for ever.

Children of aged parents take heed.

Salim,
Old 02-08-10, 07:30 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm all for retesting EVERYONE. I think we forget that driving is a privaledge, not a God given right or constitutional right. Everyone should be retested every 10 years, and after 60 years of age, tested every time they renew their license (4-5 years). I'm sorry, but people pick up bad habits after they pass their first license-to-kill test, and then age settles in and some just don't want to give up the keys.

Not many are like my dad. His eyes starting going back when he was 55 and he hung up his keys about a year after it started. He knew that he could not safely operate a vehicle any more. He had to change his lifestyle some what and start taking mass transit, but it was both for his safety and other peoples safety.

This 95 year old dude, he hit a parked car for crying out loud? There are stories every year about some old dude/madam running up curbs and ramming into stores or restaurants. And always the same excuse, the accelerator was stuck. Uhh... no, maybe it was your slow reaction that was stuck. '96 Avalon, not even close to being part of any accelerator issue.

And the sad part, no elected official would dare tackle this issue because they don't want to be the devil that prevents the old folks from having their freedom and "right" to drive.
Old 02-09-10, 04:44 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Well, she is gone. Body shop estimated $12,270 and that is just for the stuff they can easily see. The actual cost will likely be much greater. Also, depending on the extent of damage to the door jamb, it may not be fixable at any cost.

I am waiting patiently for the phone call from State Farm.

Yesterday we looked at a 2010 RX350. Didn't test drive due to bad road conditions. Compared to our RX300, I am not impressed at all. Very cramped front seats with minimal storage space. No full size spare and, worse than that, you can't store a full-size flat. I guess Toyota figures Lexus owners will never change their own flat tires.

My wife and I keep saying we are SO lucky because she and her friend were less than 10 minutes away from getting killed. OTOH, we are just sick about losing our RX300. I took delivery of it on Dec 24, 1998 and gave it to my wife the next day for Christmas. I am a little ashamed to admit such a strong attachment to a material object but it represented so much more to us than simple transportation.

Last edited by artbuc; 02-09-10 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-09-10, 06:02 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

ARTBUC I am so sorry to hear this....Maybe look at a 2003 or 2002 RX for a replacement. I too picked my RX up in November of 1998. The car was for our road trip to North Carolina to witness the birth of our first grandbaby...Wonderful trip in a lightening 3 days just in time for the birth. Who knows, may be the first car for that baby if we dont have your missfortune....
Old 02-09-10, 08:18 AM
salimshah

Received 1,008 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Well, she is gone. Body shop estimated $12,270 and that is just for the stuff they can easily see. The actual cost will likely be much greater. Also, depending on the extent of damage to the door jamb, it may not be fixable at any cost.

Yesterday we looked at a 2010 RX350. Didn't test drive due to bad road conditions. Compared to our RX300, I am not impressed at all. Very cramped front seats with minimal storage space. No full size spare and, worse than that, you can't store a full-size flat. I guess Toyota figures Lexus owners will never change their own flat tires.

My wife and I keep saying we are SO lucky because she and her friend were less than 10 minutes away from getting killed. OTOH, we are just sick about losing our RX300. I took delivery of it on Dec 24, 1998 and gave it to my wife the next day for Christmas. I am a little ashamed to admit such a strong attachment to a material object but it represented so much more to us than simple transportation.
Most if not all are attached to our vehicles .. specially who still are holding on to 7+ yr old vehicles. so dont think you are alone. My earlier note was to simply keep the things in right perspective. After an accident we all mentally go through our priority list from most precious to least, but where ever we stop it is a loss. Five years from now, you will hardly be thinking of this loss.

With the check in hand you have more options and dont limit yourself to RX or Lexus. If you do not put lots of miles, consider the GX [you got to like the shape though].

Salim
Old 02-09-10, 06:48 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Did you find that the out the door price has not gone up that much since 1998? I leased one of the first ones in April 1998 and I am sure it wasn't discounted at all. The sticker was probably around $39,000. My 2010 has a sticker of $44,000 but my lease payment at $540 per month is $20.00 less than I was paying in 1998!
Old 02-09-10, 10:42 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would get an rx330...probably get a good deal on one + back up camera!
Old 02-10-10, 12:11 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I can understand the heartsick feelings Art. And also, it's really tough to ever want anyone else's derriere to have occupied the seat before you, from your 1st new vehicle on, no matter how nice the vehicle or how good the deal. My DIL's mother bought a new RX in either '07 or '08, I'm not sure which. It's a nice looking car but when I rode in it a few months ago, I was anything but impressed. The tires made some horrible bad wear pattern noises and the GPS wasn't sure where it wanted to go- maybe on roads that weren't even there. I love my F-150, but for my wife (and most of the time if we're together) I much prefer a sedan for ride and quietness over an SUV. Also, one thing she complains bitterly about is the BLIND spot on both sides in the rear. I feel a little like I need a periscope when in it.
Old 02-10-10, 04:10 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder when, and what jerk decided to take out the full size spare in the RX?? It was the same jerk that took it out in the new camrys. I think it a bad cost cutting measure. If your driving on the highway...on a road trip, and a flat happens, you wouldn't be able to really go to far, especially on a donut? I had this happen on my way to florida from south carolina had to ride the full size spare for almost 2 days, happened late on sat night and nothing was open one sunday.
Old 02-10-10, 06:49 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: temporary spare

John you can always carry one of those fix a flat cans, or a tire plug kit and a portable air compressor.
Old 02-19-10, 04:00 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Got the offer from State Farm this week. It was decent. The adjuster had rated the car in "typical" condition (two levels below "new'). After talking with the SF claims adjuster, SF increased the condition to the top rating you can have for a used car (one level below "new"). They also rated my tires "new" even though they are about 10% worn. SF has been very good because, I believe, they know they could easily be paying for a dozen funerals right now.

We haven't made much progress car hunting because of the bad weather. Wife did drive a Venza and Highlander. The Venza styling looked good but it wasn't a smooth driver. The Highlander is a possibility. The Acura MDX is very nice and we will drive it but my wife thinks it will be too big. They had the RDX parked right behind the MDX. The RDX looked like a baby elephant following its mother even though the RDX is actually a little bigger than our RX300.

We will also drive the RX350. It will have to be pretty sweet. I can't see paying $8-10k more for a RX350 when I can get a Highlander Limited which is pretty much the same car. Plus, I can get options on the Highlander which are not available on the RX350, including full-size spare on an alloy wheel.

I am also concerned about the RX 350 being the first year of a model change-over. I bought a 95 LS400 which was also the first year and it was nothing but big trouble. I sold it after 2 years. Also wonder about its new double-wishbone rear suspension.

My wife and I can't stand the idea of buying a car which requires premium gas (MDX).

I am AMAZED at how non-responsive and arrogant Toyota and Lexus dealers are right now, almost bordering on defensive. They don't return calls, they won't answer questions, they seem to have little interest in finding a car with the options you want. It is pretty much, this is what we have. It you want to buy it fine. If you don't or if you are unsure, leave us alone.

PS The only thing I salvaged from the RX was one tire (Bridgestone Alenza) with a slightly scarred alloy wheel. If anyone wants it, shoot me a PM.

Last edited by artbuc; 02-19-10 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-06-10, 10:36 PM
ovonic1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just had my 2001 camry 50000 miles totalled a month ago. progressive ins. 75 yr old man turned left in front of me waited till i was 20 ft away. said in front of witnesses and cop that he didnt see me. so i can sympathize with you. anyway i told ins and had all paperwork to back it up that car was in mint cond. factory recommened service at all intervals. put 3000 into it in last 16 months. they ended up giving me 11013.00 for it i never would have been able to sell for that much but i planned on keeping it for many years. due to no-fault in mich. his ins comp. not responsible. anyway make your case and make the ins wait. once i found out it was not going to be repaired i let them know in a nice way that i was very pissed that it wasnt being fixed, and i didnt talk to them for a week till they called to say they wouldnt pay storage fee at collision shop after that day. so they said 10300.00 then the next day when i picked up the check they added 713.00 to the price. pretty cool. he told me they gave me 2400.00 more than they planned because of the condition it was in. so be nice make them wait a little and hopefully they will be decent. as for the driver, i know it sucks getting old but hopefully he wont be able to get ins.after this. he should be thankful your wife wasnt hurt. i hope your ins. comp. treats you as good as mine did. at least now i drive a awesome 2001 rx300 rides better than my camry when new, and the heated seats with lumbar are great on my bad back. good luck.
Old 03-07-10, 05:16 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Really sorry to hear about your RX300. I know how you feel. I had my old Mercedes-Benz totaled by a driver with State Farm insurance back in 1995. I had had it for 19 1/2 years.

I would at least look at the Honda CR-V. It is the closest in size, weight, and layout to our RX300, in my opinion. Otherwise, I'd go with a cream-puff used RX300 probably.

It really isn't that hard to total a 10 year old vehicle. Something fior all of us to think about.

Quick Reply: Our RX got totaled today