RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

When do coil packs fail?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-09, 07:07 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default When do coil packs fail?

Okay, I'm about to go into the dealer for my third coil pack failure (most likely the cause). My first coil failed about 97K, seconds around 115K, now at 123K another. I'm assuming it will be a different coil pack that the two replaced already.

Anyway, when do these things typically fail at? Am I just having some bad luck, or they fail around early 100K? I'm asking because I'm considering replacing the four at this time, than to wait for next to fail.

I've been lucky that the ones that have failed happened to fail while I was close to home, or at work. But what if it's 1/2 way through a vacation?
Old 09-02-09, 07:24 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I've only had one fail (right around 100K by my memory), and that's pretty much because I botched a job on cleaning the intake manifold with a bit too much cleaner. Other than that they've run fine. I'd check the gap on the spark plug under the coil in question, but also see how clean the plug is.
Old 09-02-09, 07:39 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Plugs

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I've only had one fail (right around 100K by my memory), and that's pretty much because I botched a job on cleaning the intake manifold with a bit too much cleaner. Other than that they've run fine. I'd check the gap on the spark plug under the coil in question, but also see how clean the plug is.
Plugs are one thing I don't care to tackle myself, so if nothing else, I've been too quick to replace them. I had my first set replaced at 58K, then again at 115K when my 2nd pack failed.

Can I say that for whatever reason, the coil packs then are prematurely failing on my RX?

I guess I should proactively replace them then...
Old 09-02-09, 07:43 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Plugs are one thing I don't care to tackle myself, so if nothing else, I've been too quick to replace them. I had my first set replaced at 58K, then again at 115K when my 2nd pack failed.

Can I say that for whatever reason, the coil packs then are prematurely failing on my RX?

I guess I should proactively replace them then...
What I am saying is check the gap on the plug underneath the coil in question, not changing all of them, sometimes too much of a gap can cause an issue.

Whenever I did plugs with my uncle and cousins using single prong plugs (like most plugs), I'd always check the gap on them, because even though they are new, sometimes they aren't gapped properly.
Old 09-02-09, 08:02 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

My view about things that are manufactured together have close to the same life. So if one coil-pack goes bad, it is very likely the others will go. So if one fails it can be an anomaly but if more than one fails the chances are the lot will have similar life.

Incidentally, one of my coil-pack failed immediately after I installed new plugs [140k miles]. Since I have longer arms, for me replacing plugs gets 2/10 in difficulty. [changing oil filter is 3/10].

Salim
Old 09-03-09, 09:25 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I had one coil go out at ~100,000 miles.
Old 09-03-09, 10:20 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I had one coil go out at ~100,000 miles.
I`m sure it was one of the rear ones correct??
Old 09-03-09, 10:51 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexus114
i had 2 go out in the rear, i changed the rear 3 and then a couple months later did the front three, wouldve done it all at the same time just couldnt afford it at the time
Old 09-03-09, 01:02 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
i had 2 go out in the rear, i changed the rear 3 and then a couple months later did the front three, wouldve done it all at the same time just couldnt afford it at the time
The front ones are easy to do, if you are concerned about cost, just use the old but working back ones as spares.

I plan to replace the back one that is hardest to reach with a new coil pack when I do the spark plugs in the next week or two. Use the old but still working one as a spare, keep it with couple of hand tools in the car.
Old 09-03-09, 02:29 PM
AlexusAnja

I'm taking the opinions here to be that I should check the gap first (dealer will do that), but that I should probably replace the remaining four.

My whole deal is, the three failed when I was close to home. I don't want one failing when I'm like 200 miles from home and I have to scramble looking for a shop/dealership to fix and lose one day hanging around (even with loaner).

Thanks guys/gals (if there are any).
Old 09-03-09, 03:30 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Always in my RX300, I still keep an OEM coil and also that one I modified from a Camry coil when I lived in Mexico.
Old 09-03-09, 07:15 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Actually, I don't remember (erased from my memory - a side effect of the size of the check I had to write)!
Old 09-04-09, 06:21 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I'm taking the opinions here to be that I should check the gap first (dealer will do that), but that I should probably replace the remaining four.

My whole deal is, the three failed when I was close to home. I don't want one failing when I'm like 200 miles from home and I have to scramble looking for a shop/dealership to fix and lose one day hanging around (even with loaner).

Thanks guys/gals (if there are any).
dont count on the dealer taking too much initiative,my trunk monkey would probably do a better job.
Old 09-04-09, 10:08 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Always in my RX300, I still keep an OEM coil and also that one I modified from a Camry coil when I lived in Mexico.
Smart, was it the front one that failed on you? I remembered you said the middle back one is the hardest to reach?
Old 09-04-09, 11:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Smart, was it the front one that failed on you? I remembered you said the middle back one is the hardest to reach?
Yep, it was one of the front ones. The front middle one if memory serves me.

Quick Reply: When do coil packs fail?