RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

No 4th Gear !@$#

Old 07-07-09, 08:41 PM
lexdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool No 4th Gear !@$#

So I just got my 02 rx300 back from AAMCO, long story shore vsc+check engine light = replace solenoid D
After they finished the work, lights came back on and they saying they tested the new solenoid its fully working
but the computer is not telling the tranny to shift into 4th gear.... suggested I take it to a dealer and have them do a computer scan.

Anybody know ball park how much a computer scan will cost and if there any DIY remedies to resolve this ???

Also mention a software update may resolve this is the dealer the only place to get computer updated ???
Old 07-07-09, 10:12 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I answered on the other site under Lenore. Good luck. as for a scan you can go buy a cheap scanner online or even at Harbor Freight tools....
Old 07-08-09, 06:31 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From your post it sounds like before Aamco worked on your trans, they or someone else read the code and it pointed to a shift solenoid. After replacement the CEL is back on and trans won't shift into OD. Now they are telling you the ECU is not letting the trans shift into OD and to get the code read. This is reasonable for there are some engine related codes that do exactly this. My problem with this whole thing is if they read the first code that pointed to the solenoid, why can't read the code again and tell you what it is?
Bottom line is you need to get the current code read. Maybe even reset it and read it again. You can buy a cheap scanner and do it yourself (Harbor Freight is one of many sources). Also most AutoZones will read it for free. Or find whatever sources are available locally. I would stay away from the dealer at this point unless you are looking for convenience and don't mind spending major $$.
My bet is you are going to have some non-transmission related engine type code that needs to be repaired. Once repaired, the ECU will let the trans shift into OD. But until the current code is read you are shooting in the dark.
Old 07-09-09, 12:00 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey00
From your post it sounds like before Aamco worked on your trans, they or someone else read the code and it pointed to a shift solenoid. After replacement the CEL is back on and trans won't shift into OD. Now they are telling you the ECU is not letting the trans shift into OD and to get the code read. This is reasonable for there are some engine related codes that do exactly this. My problem with this whole thing is if they read the first code that pointed to the solenoid, why can't read the code again and tell you what it is?
Bottom line is you need to get the current code read. Maybe even reset it and read it again. You can buy a cheap scanner and do it yourself (Harbor Freight is one of many sources). Also most AutoZones will read it for free. Or find whatever sources are available locally. I would stay away from the dealer at this point unless you are looking for convenience and don't mind spending major $$.
My bet is you are going to have some non-transmission related engine type code that needs to be repaired. Once repaired, the ECU will let the trans shift into OD. But until the current code is read you are shooting in the dark.
Good reasoning Mikey. I'm sure you're wondering what I'm wondering (and probably most people on this board), is there any chance it needed the solenoid in the 1st place?
Old 07-09-09, 05:46 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Bingo, and Knock sensors can go out early in these things. I had mine replaced at 110K on my 2001.

I can confirm, with a P0330 you will not have OD.
Old 08-01-09, 06:10 PM
lexdog
Driver School Candidate

OK so I got the rx300 back from the lexus dealer, the techs there told me they couldn't find any issues with the computer that they thought the issue was a foreign body in the valve body and wanted $500+ to just check the valve body.

Took the Lex back AAMCO were since there the one's who were suppose the check the vale body in the first place, there now telling me they cant find any
problems with the valve body that they did find some small metal fragments in the pan and I want to rebuild my tranny for $3800.00.

Do get I pay another fee at another shop and hav them check the valve body or let aamco do the work. So frustrated here feel like AAMCO is trying to make buck off me cant afford 500+ dollars from the dealer not sure what to do here.
Old 08-01-09, 09:30 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

I feel you should get the codes now. If it is the shift solenoid code, and you have metal, than run, not walk away from AAMCO and find a reputable independent tranny shop with good references. Ask them to check it and if it needs rebuilding ask them if they are going to put the steel planetary gear carrier in when they rebuild it. According to my local tranny shop that is what they do on all of these trannies as that is the main failure. I think you are being sucked dry by AAMCO or at least get them to cough up the diagnose money that you spent the first time towards the rebuild. me, I would run, I dont trust those guys.
Old 08-01-09, 10:44 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thomas1
I feel you should get the codes now. If it is the shift solenoid code, and you have metal, than run, not walk away from AAMCO and find a reputable independent tranny shop with good references. Ask them to check it and if it needs rebuilding ask them if they are going to put the steel planetary gear carrier in when they rebuild it. According to my local tranny shop that is what they do on all of these trannies as that is the main failure. I think you are being sucked dry by AAMCO or at least get them to cough up the diagnose money that you spent the first time towards the rebuild. me, I would run, I dont trust those guys.
X2! Thomas hit the nail on the head.
Old 08-02-09, 06:06 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by thomas1
X3!
Lexus had to read the code when you had it there. Call and ask what it was. You could get lucky and it may be an engine related code preventing the trans from shifting into OD. But if it is Lexus should have known that. Or if it is a solenoid code you are going to need a trans rebuild. How much did Aamco charge you the first time? Will they subtract that from the $3800 if you let them rebuild the trans? If not go somewhere else.
Old 08-02-09, 07:30 PM
k.capone
Driver School Candidate

I'm willing to bet he has a knock sensor code (P0330) that's not letting it shift to O/D. My 2000 RX300 is at a Toyota dealer now getting them replaced ($1000). Blueridge knows about P0330 and no O/D
Old 08-02-09, 08:47 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

I hope it is the knock sensor for his sake, But he had the shift solenoid code earlier.....not a good sign...
Old 08-03-09, 12:00 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikey00
X3!
Lexus had to read the code when you had it there. Call and ask what it was. You could get lucky and it may be an engine related code preventing the trans from shifting into OD. But if it is Lexus should have known that. Or if it is a solenoid code you are going to need a trans rebuild. How much did Aamco charge you the first time? Will they subtract that from the $3800 if you let them rebuild the trans? If not go somewhere else.
Mikey- I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw the whole company and everybody that works for them. I've known too many people who have been (violated ) by Spaamco. There have been people who have posted that they have had the overhaul done by mom&pop indie for a lot less than that.
Old 08-03-09, 04:44 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Originally Posted by k.capone
I'm willing to bet he has a knock sensor code (P0330) that's not letting it shift to O/D. My 2000 RX300 is at a Toyota dealer now getting them replaced ($1000). Blueridge knows about P0330 and no O/D
How many miles is on yours?
Old 08-03-09, 05:47 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by code58
Mikey- I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw the whole company and everybody that works for them. I've known too many people who have been (violated ) by Spaamco. There have been people who have posted that they have had the overhaul done by mom&pop indie for a lot less than that.
I would also be reluctant to have Aamco finish the job. I just thought if lexdog already paid them a good amount for the solenoid replacement and they were willing to take it off his rebuild it may be worth the chance. I had my trans done by a local shop for $3400.
Old 08-03-09, 05:59 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

I read somewhere around here of a guy putting s Highlander trans in for 1K

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No 4th Gear !@$#