RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Front Crankshaft Seal Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-09, 12:53 PM
Pass V1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Crankshaft Seal Leak

Hey, Can anyone give me some advise on what might be the problem. I have a 01 RX300 that I did the complete timing belt, water pump, and seal replacement. But I can get the front crankshaft seal to stop leaking. I am using OEM parts. I have been putting some oil and tapping it lightly in evenly with the front cover. Any advise would be helpful.
Old 02-14-09, 01:36 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pass V1
Hey, Can anyone give me some advise on what might be the problem. I have a 01 RX300 that I did the complete timing belt, water pump, and seal replacement. But I can get the front crankshaft seal to stop leaking. I am using OEM parts. I have been putting some oil and tapping it lightly in evenly with the front cover. Any advise would be helpful.
Something definitely wrong there. Let me do a little checking and get back with you a little bit later. How much does it leak? How long ago (miles ago) did you do it? Did it leak from the time you started it up?. Did it leak before you changed it? How many miles on the car? Did it have any kind of a groove worn in the shaft from the old seal?
Old 02-14-09, 06:40 PM
Pass V1
Driver School Candidate

It leaks a slow drip as soon as the engine is started more when the rpm increases. It wasn't leaking but since I was in there for the timing belt I decided to replace it. No miles since I changed it. The car has 110600 miles. I didn't notice a groove but I will check tomorrow. This is driving me crazy. Tomorrow I am planning on getting a seal from a different manufacturer maybe it will seal better.
Old 02-14-09, 10:24 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

You need to look very closely where the lip of the seal touches the crankshaft. the faintest line worn into the crankshaft can cause a leak. The good news is there is a device called a bearing sleeve that can be put over the crankshaft end which is basically a very thin sleeve that fits tightly over the worn area. Then install the new a new seal and you will be good to go....
Old 02-14-09, 10:28 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

You need to look very closely at the crankshaft surface where the seal lip rides on it.
If there is any kind of groove you can fix it with a crankshaft sleeve that fits very tightly over the cranshaft fixing the groove. Here is one manufacturor, however auto parts stores or machine shops should be able to get you one. Then put a new seal in and you are good to go:

http://www.microsleeve.com/csrs.html
Old 02-14-09, 11:52 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pass V1
It leaks a slow drip as soon as the engine is started more when the rpm increases. It wasn't leaking but since I was in there for the timing belt I decided to replace it. No miles since I changed it. The car has 110600 miles. I didn't notice a groove but I will check tomorrow. This is driving me crazy. Tomorrow I am planning on getting a seal from a different manufacturer maybe it will seal better.
I would personally only use original eq. parts on a Toyota or Lexus product. I have not had good luck with aftermarket parts and do use then sometimes and generally not ever on Toyota or Lexus. If you have time, you can buy a lot of original equipment T&L parts online. They generally can't sell them in a Toyota box (unless it's a T or L dealer), but they are original eq. and that's the way I generally buy them.
Old 02-15-09, 12:10 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thomas1
You need to look very closely where the lip of the seal touches the crankshaft. the faintest line worn into the crankshaft can cause a leak. The good news is there is a device called a bearing sleeve that can be put over the crankshaft end which is basically a very thin sleeve that fits tightly over the worn area. Then install the new a new seal and you will be good to go....
Interestingly, Thomas, when I did my DIL's RX I was agast when I took the rear main seal holder out to change the seal. The seal was like a rock and had worn a noticeable groove in the C/S. I was between a rock and a hard place. Time constraints (car was going to Seattle for extended period) dictated that I had no choice but to clean the shaft up with some fine emery and install the seal and hope for the best. The seal is a very adequate seal with a flange for each direction and the rubber was live so I went for it. I am greatful to say that 30k mi. later there has been absolutely no sign of leak. When I asked a mechanic from Mo. that posts from time to time on one of the Lexus sites (he is independent but says he works on a lot of Lexus), what his experience was with the groove in the C/S from the hard rear main seal, he said yea, they get a pretty good groove but he's never seen them leak as a result of it. I am amazed that they seal the way they do for the groove that gets worn in them. I wasn't even aware of the sleeves that you posted about- great idea and thanks for posting that. I haven't forgotten to PM you, Thomas, I'll try tomorrow. I just need some of those 48 hour days!
Old 02-15-09, 06:43 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Hey Code58, I agree, my neighbors highlander had a slight wear spot on that 50k engine, I cleaned it up with a emery paper, probably would have sealed fine, just as you did. But the machine shop through a sleeve on the crank. I used one of those on a 87mustang motor where it had extreme wear. Worked great. Some folks call them crankshaft savers.....
Old 02-15-09, 09:29 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Any comment on the clearance ... Can the seal be replaced in situ.

Salim
Old 02-15-09, 11:07 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

The front seal should be able to be replaced with the crankshaft pullyey off....I believe this is the seal:
Attached Thumbnails Front Crankshaft Seal Leak-front-crankshaft.jpg  
Old 02-15-09, 04:07 PM
Pass V1
Driver School Candidate

That is the seal location on mine. I looked at it today and it does appear to have a faint line where the old seal was rubbing. I will contact microsleeve during the week and get one ordered.
Old 02-15-09, 05:02 PM
salimshah

The front cover is not supposed to keep the oil in, so you must trace the source of the leak inside the cover.

Back to the groove on the main shaft. The groove has to be a deposit unless the metal spring cut through the rubber and contacted the shaft. So examine the old seal and if the spring was not exposed .. just use a worn out emry paper to clean out the shaft.

Do not re-use the installed seal and buy a new one. Dip/soak in the brake fluid and glide it into spot.

Good luck

Salim
Old 02-15-09, 05:22 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

I hate to tell you this, but rubber with oil contaminated with dirt can cut steel. It does not necessarily have to be a spring wearing thru. I have seen paper cut steel on stuff that I used to work on. Water can cut steel....The front cover contains the seal where the arrow is pointing.

Are you sure you cant emery the surface and put a new seal in like Code58 said.....?
Old 02-15-09, 06:38 PM
salimshah

^^ good insight Thomas, but under the cover .. I guess any thing can happen and one should not discount other possibilities.

Salim
Old 02-16-09, 12:43 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
The front cover is not supposed to keep the oil in, so you must trace the source of the leak inside the cover.

Back to the groove on the main shaft. The groove has to be a deposit unless the metal spring cut through the rubber and contacted the shaft. So examine the old seal and if the spring was not exposed .. just use a worn out emry paper to clean out the shaft.

Do not re-use the installed seal and buy a new one. Dip/soak in the brake fluid and glide it into spot.

Good luck

Salim
Salim- There was a NOTICEABLE groove in the C/S. As I have already said, I was quite alarmed when I saw it. I was under a lot of stress because of ALL I had to do and the clock was ticking. I couldn't imagine having to deal with the C/S and didn't know about the sleeves. I do not remember seeing any springs on the C/S seals and in fact don't believe there are any, though I know that is common on some 1 piece seals. This wear was definitely as a result of the hardness of the seal and probably the "coked" oil (almost like carbon, it's been cooked so much by the internal heat of these engines). As stated before, the mechanic from MO. said it was very common on the rear seal to C/S on the RX's.

Quick Reply: Front Crankshaft Seal Leak