RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-08, 07:00 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Trailer hitch

I was pondering the idea of going to u-haul,and having a hitch installed.or getting one on e-bay.I know it`s not that hard to install.My question is,do I need that rear brake light computer?,or was Lexus kind enough to have already placed one their.I have an 01 AWD with factory trans cooler. Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanx,
Ryan

Last edited by lexus114; 09-15-08 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-15-08, 07:19 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The Lexus hitch looks much better than aftermarket, in my opinion. I'd go for a used one from somebody who is parting out the whole package (hitch, wiring, rear light connector, module, etc.). You mention a hitch, but I'll guess you are interested in the whole package (i.e., not just for mounting a bike rack).

I think it is very unlikely you have the rear light module unless you have the trailer hitch. I got the whole package new with my RX and it is very nice.
Old 09-15-08, 07:55 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bob2200
The Lexus hitch looks much better than aftermarket, in my opinion. I'd go for a used one from somebody who is parting out the whole package (hitch, wiring, rear light connector, module, etc.). You mention a hitch, but I'll guess you are interested in the whole package (i.e., not just for mounting a bike rack).

I think it is very unlikely you have the rear light module unless you have the trailer hitch. I got the whole package new with my RX and it is very nice.
Thats what I was afraid of Bob,I will need the whole kit & caboodle.
Old 09-15-08, 09:01 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

There was a towing package pre-wiring that I believe was standard on the early RX300s. Take a look in the spare wheel compartment and look for a converter box where the gas cap cover release wire comes into the trunk area. You may still need the connector wire that goes out of the trunk, under the car to the hitch.
Old 09-15-08, 10:22 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sktn77a
There was a towing package pre-wiring that I believe was standard on the early RX300s. Take a look in the spare wheel compartment and look for a converter box where the gas cap cover release wire comes into the trunk area. You may still need the connector wire that goes out of the trunk, under the car to the hitch.
I`ll check that out,thanx Keith.
Old 09-15-08, 11:44 AM
jimmouse
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe factory trans cooler is part of towing package just like in my 01 AWD.
Old 09-15-08, 11:58 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jimmouse
I believe factory trans cooler is part of towing package just like in my 01 AWD.
That`s what I have,an 01 AWD.But with no factory hitch.Then again,with this transmission,I probably should not tow anything.
Old 09-15-08, 02:28 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been towing about 2,500 lbs up and down the mountains just fine (with factory tow package.) The RX300 tranny is very durable. Just need to maintain it properly.

The U-Haul DrawTite should work fine, though it looks like a high school metal shop project. You can install this yourself - there are two mounting points under the rear bumper - easily accessible. You can find the wiring in the spare tire compartment. You can buy the wiring harness from your Lexus part dept. and bring the wires out to the rear bumper.

The factory tow package also comes with a heavy duty alternator. I think the standard alternator should be able to support a few lights on the trailer without any problem.
Old 09-15-08, 05:16 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An 01 with the towing prep package will definetly still need the converter. Pre wiring just means you have the connector to plug the converter into. Figure around $170 - $200 from Lexus or Toyota. If you want to save some $ check out etrailer.com. You can get an aftermarket converter for around $50. I think they even have a installation video online.
As far as the hitch itself goes, a HiddenHitch #70777 is very nice looking and somewhere around $140. Very easy to install. Just remove the shipping tie down brackets from the rear of the RX and bolt on the hitch using the same threaded holes. I had one for years that was just used for a bike rack which I just sold, bike rack and all.
Old 09-16-08, 05:25 AM
lastplace
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the Hidden Hitch (>$150) on my '02, easy, 6 bolts. I have the tow package added a $13 pig tail for lights. I'm not sure what's on the '01 as far as lights go.
Old 09-16-08, 06:14 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikey00
An 01 with the towing prep package will definetly still need the converter. Pre wiring just means you have the connector to plug the converter into. Figure around $170 - $200 from Lexus or Toyota. If you want to save some $ check out etrailer.com. You can get an aftermarket converter for around $50.
You can get the Lexus kit for $160 at a couple of places identified in posts over the last month on this topic. It includes the "pre-wiring" harness (in that it includes everything to plug into the car's existing lighting harneses) the converter and the pigtail to go to the hitch.

I'd be leery of the aftermarket solutions - I checked into these last month (e-trailer). Yes, you can get them for less but, despite what they tell you, they are not plug-and-play and require splicing into your car's existing wiring harnesses.
Old 09-16-08, 06:42 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Ok guys,here is what I discovered,I pulled my rear cargo apart(lh side)and found a small blue towing converter box. But,I did not see any wiring pigtail,just one white connector going into the box. I followed some wiring down to the charcoal canister(under the black plastic covering the canister) I found a small connector.I dont know if that is related to the tow wiring or not.At least it looks like I have the converter box anyway.Also,on the hidden hitches,it looks like it has a cut out for the muffler,and the other hitches dont.I wonder why? BTW,thank you for all of the replies re;this. You are all terrific!

Ryan

Last edited by lexus114; 09-16-08 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-16-08, 08:40 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Hmmm........ if that's the OEM box (did you buy the car new?) then it sounds like they've changed it yet again!

The original (1999) was a black box with one six pin molex connector going in (from the car's lighting harness) and one four pin molex connector going out (to the hitch connector) through a grommet in the center of the spare tire well.

The revised (2000+) was a black box with a large metal heatsink going all the way around. It had one large connector (maybe 10-12 pins) and one smaller one (4 pins which teminated in another connector. The pigtail connected to this connector and went to the hitch via a grommet in the bottom of the side compartment in the left of the trunk.

At least that's the way it was on mine.............

Old 09-16-08, 08:50 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Well,it looks to me like they did supply the converter box,but not any hitch wiring.
Old 09-16-08, 09:50 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Ok guys,here is what I discovered,I pulled my rear cargo apart(lh side)and found a small blue towing converter box.
Yep, a wiring harness is all you need as my previous post. Your dealer should have this in stock. No need to waste money on a converter.

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch