RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300, Smoking and burning oil at 75k ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-08, 03:46 PM
PK2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300, Smoking and burning oil at 75k ???

Hello,

I have a 99 RX300. With 83k on it. At about 75,000 miles it sort of abruptly started giving a blue plume of smoke in the morning (and any other time it may feel like it). It now uses about a quart of oil every 700miles or so.

Is there anything short of valve guides (or worse) that plagues these cars?

It's incomprehensible to me that a car of this type would effectively die at 75k

Regards PK

P,S, I have a porsche with a thing called an AOS (Air oil Separator), when it goes it scares the _ell out of you, burns blue like crazy...$150 part
Old 04-10-08, 04:11 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Most likely you have sludge. Blue smoke and excessive, sudden oil consumption are classic symptoms.
Yes, the engine design is bad, that is why Toyota has 8 year warranty on sludge.
But your 99 RX is more than 8 years old. You can go to Toyota dealer, 1) check for sludge 2)beg them to cover your engine under goodwill if there is sludge. 3) all else fail, bend over and give couple of grands then write Toyota a nasty letter to tell them if doesn't payup you will follow up with a law suit.
Old 04-10-08, 04:44 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
You can go to Toyota dealer
Do you mean a Toyota dealer or a Lexus dealer? I would think a Lexus dealer.
Old 04-10-08, 05:46 PM
PK2
Driver School Candidate

Most likely you have sludge. Blue smoke and excessive, sudden oil consumption are classic symptoms.
Yes, the engine design is bad, that is why Toyota has 8 year warranty on sludge. ...You can go to Toyota dealer, 1) check for sludge 2)beg them to cover your engine under goodwill if there is sludge. 3) all else fail, bend over and give couple of grands then write Toyota a nasty letter to tell them if doesn't payup you will follow up with a law suit.
No kidding, the motor looks nice anyway. Does the sludge accumulate down below, because the under the oil fill cap and on the dip stick, the oil looks clean.

What is their remedy, a flush or soak with some sort of degreaser? Or a complete tear down?

Do you think Lexus would likely be persuaded to cough up for the repair bill? This is the first Japanese car I've ever bought, and a flagship to boot...75k and smoking like a locomotive... (On top of that I was one of the designers of their origional cookie cutter showrooms)

Who would I write to If it is sludge with a major expense?

Regards, PK

Last edited by PK2; 04-10-08 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-10-08, 05:51 PM
PK2
Driver School Candidate

Default Ditto

Originally Posted by bob2200
Do you mean a Toyota dealer or a Lexus dealer? I would think a Lexus dealer.
Does toyota service these? better pricing?

Regards, PK

P.S. "Matt", service tech at my local dealer had no clue as to what I was talking about, recomended a timing belt...brilliant.

Last edited by PK2; 04-10-08 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-10-08, 10:08 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PK2
No kidding, the motor looks nice anyway. Does the sludge accumulate down below, because the under the oil fill cap and on the dip stick, the oil looks clean.

What is their remedy, a flush or soak with some sort of degreaser? Or a complete tear down?

Do you think Lexus would likely be persuaded to cough up for the repair bill? This is the first Japanese car I've ever bought, and a flagship to boot...75k and smoking like a locomotive... (On top of that I was one of the designers of their origional cookie cutter showrooms)

Who would I write to If it is sludge with a major expense?

Regards, PK
Check the oil gel settlement by this law firm.
http://www.oilgelsettlement.com/
I opted out of settlement and if you bought your RX300 second hand, most likely the previous owner did not opt out.
The only way when the entire engine is covered with sludge is to do surgical work.
Tell the dealer that you are aware of sludge and are worried what previous owner did. Most likely Lexus will cover at least partially the cost. But at least ask the dealer to check for sludge by pulling the valve cover for free.
If the dealer is not nice, go to another one...
Old 04-10-08, 10:10 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

How often do you change your oil?
Old 04-11-08, 01:55 AM
PK2
Driver School Candidate

Check the oil gel settlement by this law firm.
http://www.oilgelsettlement.com/
...The only way when the entire engine is covered with sludge is to do surgical work...Tell the dealer that you are aware of sludge and are worried what previous owner did. Most likely Lexus will cover at least partially the cost. But at least ask the dealer to check for sludge by pulling the valve cover for free.
If the dealer is not nice, go to another one...
Huh, Thanks much,

That sounds like theres a little room for optimism. My dealer just seems sloppy and cluless, but I'll see what I can fanaggle there after I read up on the settlement.

Regards, PK
Old 04-11-08, 05:56 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by PK2
Huh, Thanks much,

That sounds like theres a little room for optimism. My dealer just seems sloppy and cluless, but I'll see what I can fanaggle there after I read up on the settlement.

Regards, PK
by the way the warranty ended up being 8 years 3 months from the point of first sale.
Old 04-11-08, 06:39 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup, you're a sludger. the previous owner probably didn't change the oil regularly. that seems to be a major cause of it because i've seen rx's go 200k with no problems that have had proper maintenance.
Old 04-11-08, 09:56 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thomas1
by the way the warranty ended up being 8 years 3 months from the point of first sale.
It is 8 years plus additional time to file a claim. Technically, sludge must take place in 8 years, then the owner has addtional grace time to make a claim.
Old 04-12-08, 02:39 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I didn't catch the procedure for cleaning out sludge if present. Can it be done?
Old 04-12-08, 03:33 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by trhs75
I didn't catch the procedure for cleaning out sludge if present. Can it be done?
If sludge is not built up to a point to affect engine operation, it can be treated with Auto-RX, a product that Lexmex recommended to this forum (so far everyone who use it is happy).
Old 04-14-08, 08:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Auto-RX is an excellent product. It has worked ons some really hard cases that my uncle had to deal with over the years.
Old 04-24-08, 12:25 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

If your car is blue smoking and burning a quart of oil every 700miles, it sounds like you have major engine damage. No cleaning agent will fix this.

Quick Reply: RX300, Smoking and burning oil at 75k ???