RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

P0717 transmission speed sensor???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-07, 05:22 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default P0717 transmission speed sensor???

i finally got a maf sensor yesterday and installed it, but the cel popped up on my way to autozone to purchase some restore. so i let them do a scan since im there. i thought maybe i got a bad maf sensor, because it was the same P0717, but instead of description "fuel system lean bank 1..." like in the past.

it said
description: Transmission speed sensor intermittent condition

explanation: vehicle speed sensor above 1 mph and ecm detected the trans speed sensor signal was intermittent

probable causes:
1. Failed transmission speed sensor
2. electrical problem

the long paper they printed out for me also said,
"turbin speed sensor no signal"
"AT input speed sensor circuit no signal"
"input Speed Sensor circuit low input"

they also looked up the part for my rx and showed two brands of the sensor priced $111 and another $89. i didnt know a bad transmission speed sensor can cause a p0717 error. i have no idea where this part is located so i didnt buy it. the guy in autozone said it looks like plug and play.
Old 05-24-07, 05:40 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

The only speed sensor I know of is from a recent post we went over https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=282999

Now I have gotten a similar code, P0500, when I did emissions not too long ago down here, issue with the rollers and AWD, but no issue otherwise. In some vehicles, there is a sensor inside the tranny.

Incidentally, the code you mention doesn't show up in the manual, but every vehicle can pop up codes that don't show up in the manual...happens all the time with my uncle and was the reason I drop the $$$ and bought him a scanner.
Old 05-24-07, 06:03 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by zombie
i finally got a maf sensor yesterday and installed it, but the cel popped up on my way to autozone to purchase some restore. so i let them do a scan since im there. i thought maybe i got a bad maf sensor, because it was the same P0717, but instead of description "fuel system lean bank 1..." like in the past.

it said
description: Transmission speed sensor intermittent condition

explanation: vehicle speed sensor above 1 mph and ecm detected the trans speed sensor signal was intermittent

probable causes:
1. Failed transmission speed sensor
2. electrical problem

the long paper they printed out for me also said,
"turbin speed sensor no signal"
"AT input speed sensor circuit no signal"
"input Speed Sensor circuit low input"

they also looked up the part for my rx and showed two brands of the sensor priced $111 and another $89. i didnt know a bad transmission speed sensor can cause a p0717 error. i have no idea where this part is located so i didnt buy it. the guy in autozone said it looks like plug and play.
Are you sure that it was P0717? Is this RX300? There is nothing in documentation about it.

There is two speed sensors in the transmission:
1. Input Turbine Speed Sensor, if it fails you get P1725
This sensor detects the rotation speed of the input turbine. By comparing the input turbine speed signal (NT) and the counter gear speed sensor signal (NC), the ECM detects the shift timing of the gears and appropriately controls the engine torque and hydraulic pressure in response to various conditions, thus performing smooth gear shifting.

2. Counter Gear Speed Sensor, you will get P1730
This sensor detects the rotation speed of the counter gear. By comparing the counter gear speed signal (NC) and the direct clutch speed sensor signal (NT), the ECM detects the shift timing of the gears and appropriately controls the engine torque and hydraulic pressure in response to various conditions, thus performing smooth gear shifting.
Old 05-24-07, 06:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I think he probably has a detecting condition, not an outright blown sensor. Zombie did you pull the cables on the battery?
Old 05-24-07, 06:17 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Now I have gotten a similar code, P0500, when I did emissions not too long ago down here, issue with the rollers and AWD, but no issue otherwise.
P0500 is Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction.
Did you get your car saying "Dear Lexmex, I think I accelerate too fast, I think my speed sensor is malfunctioning so I am gonna pop P0500 this time."?

In some vehicles, there is a sensor inside the tranny.
Our tranny (U140E or U140F) have two speed sensors. One for the Input Turbine (NT) and the other one for the Counter Gear (NC). They are bolted to the shell of the tranny and can be easily removed.
Old 05-24-07, 06:22 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

What I have to do every 6 months down here is an emissions test. Unfortunately, the system here does not allow AWD vehicles before 2001 to be tested, but if you can't be tested you are forced to not be able to drive one day out of the week down here due to some local driving restrictions, foreigners are not immune.

As a result, we have to put the front wheels on rollers, stick blocks in front of the rear tires, shove the gear down into 2, use the parking brake and let the vehicle get up to about 40 mph. As you can imagine this puts a load of stress, an ABS warning and a P0500 error, but these can easily be cleared up afterwards.
Old 05-24-07, 06:34 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

What I have to do every 6 months down here is an emissions test. Unfortunately, the system here does not allow AWD vehicles before 2001 to be tested, but if you can't be tested you are forced to not be able to drive one day out of the week down here due to some local driving restrictions, foreigners are not immune.

As a result, we have to put the front wheels on rollers, stick blocks in front of the rear tires, shove the gear down into 2, use the parking brake and let the vehicle get up to about 40 mph. As you can imagine this puts a load of stress, an ABS warning and a P0500 error, but these can easily be cleared up afterwards.
Can you just remove the front axles for this day, so it will become RWD? It takes about an hour and a big socket to replace them. Hmm... the transfer case will probably leak a bit. Well, I guess this can do something to ECM, although AWD does not have (and don't need) Traction Control.
Old 05-24-07, 06:41 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Meetya
Can you just remove the front axles for this day, so it will become RWD? It takes about an hour and a big socket to replace them. Hmm... the transfer case will probably leak a bit. Well, I guess this can do something to ECM, although AWD does not have (and don't need) Traction Control.
That's a good point and I have been thinking about doing just that. Actually, it would become an FWD under the situation as I will remove part of the axle just in front of the rear differential, as there those bolts that hold in sections of it in place.

It will do something to the ECM as the AWD/FWDs are configured differently, but CELs are nothing. Actually my transfer case has been leaking since I got my RX about 5 years ago (will show in one of my next photos).

BTW, good to know about the tranny sensors, was not aware specifically of them in the RX300.
Attached Thumbnails P0717 transmission speed sensor???-img_1467a.jpg  
Old 05-24-07, 06:50 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Now that transfer case. This has been noticed by Lexus when I used to go up there, but I didn't have the time (given I was only up for a weekend and on a trip with a schedule), but so far nothing else wrong beside the leaking.
Attached Thumbnails P0717 transmission speed sensor???-newdownpipe1a.jpg  
Old 05-24-07, 07:13 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i just unplugged my battery again, but im starting to think autozone handed me someone else's cel print out. im gonna head down to toyota tomorrow and have my friend scan again.
Old 05-24-07, 07:23 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

That's a good point and I have been thinking about doing just that. Actually, it would become an FWD under the situation as I will remove part of the axle just in front of the rear differential, as there those bolts that hold in sections of it in place.

It will do something to the ECM as the AWD/FWDs are configured differently, but CELs are nothing. Actually my transfer case has been leaking since I got my RX about 5 years ago (will show in one of my next photos).
That part is called the Rear Drive Shaft. So if codes come on during inspection it will pass it? Or you have to bribe inspectors? It is like with all cars back in Russia
Old 05-24-07, 07:31 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Meetya
That part is called the Rear Drive Shaft. So if codes come on during inspection it will pass it? Or you have to bribe inspectors? It is like with all cars back in Russia
I think I have also seen it called a propeller shaft, there are 3 big sections on the AWD, but the rear one is what I am going to toy with. It should work won't need to go back in for a few more months.

The rule in Mexico City/Mexico State is that virtually any modification is allowed (stuff that wouldn't be allowed in CA is allowed here and that goes for a lot of the modifications you have probably see on my car domain page) CELs are allowed, but as long as you are within limits you get a cero sticker, that entitles you to drive every day of the week. Foreigners can voluntarily do this so they can get this privilege. I pass without issue on the readings, despite having no precats and just a Magnflow 3-way cat.

I am thinking to do a crankshaft vent filter modification using the pcv valve on the rear and the vent line on the front of the engine block to limit the amount of oil/crankshaft gases thrown back into the system, thus improving octane, power and even reducing emissions.
Old 05-24-07, 07:52 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

The rule in Mexico City/Mexico State is that virtually any modification is allowed (stuff that wouldn't be allowed in CA is allowed here and that goes for a lot of the modifications you have probably see on my car domain page) CELs are allowed, but as long as you are within limits you get a cero sticker, that entitles you to drive every day of the week.
I am thinking to do a crankshaft vent filter modification using the pcv valve on the rear and the vent line on the front of the engine block to limit the amount of oil/crankshaft gases thrown back into the system, thus improving octane, power and even reducing emissions.
So even Electric Exhaust Bypasses are legal? You race -- get it! I really want to see RX300 driving on track with the mufflers off. Something like this. That would be awesome to turn it in on and rev it couple of times while waiting on a traffic light and look at next face of a dude in a Corvette.
Old 05-25-07, 06:15 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Well the only thing that counts is what comes out the pipe. That being said, I know of cases where the bypass is installed often called a sport exhaust here, guys with SRT-4s and even VW Golfs (my cousin wants one of these for his Golf, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2224711). However, the computers here won't allow something like a zero emissions, 0s across the 3 things I remember they test on, to show up. I personally wouldn't do this as I know people who have done the bypass shooting the exhaust somewhere else instead of out the back and the computer fires up a malfunction. It is not a finee or anything, but they send you to small places that are part of PIREC, which are a string of private exhaust shops throughout the area to prove that everything is A-ok. If a bribe gets paid it is to these guys to sign off that there is no issue. The exhaust shop I use Hangar-1 is one such place, but they are honest and the problems they see are usually just people who didn't take care of their vehicle, not bypass issues.

I have way back in about September 2005 run my RX for one Friday with just the small muffler I have nowand a glasspack was setting off every car alarm. Here, they don't care about noise, only if your tailpipe is smoking.
Old 01-24-17, 03:35 AM
Faris300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is300 2003

The speedometer stopped working
What could be the problem
speed sensor??

Quick Reply: P0717 transmission speed sensor???